Why become a member? ×

Forgive me basschat for I am woefully ignorant

Annoying Twit

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1434817036' post='2803058']
should be 'plays' like butter
[/quote]

Well, that's just silly, isn't it? I mean if you were to grab a bass-neck-sized length of butter, you'd just end up with butter all over your hands, whereas butter makes at least two noises, that sort of squidgy one when you drop it on the floor and the sizzly sound as it melts in an omelette pan.

[quote name='A.G.E.N.T.E.' timestamp='1434821687' post='2803109']
Growl? ...something like this: [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqzfYPk9X5I"]https://www.youtube....h?v=DqzfYPk9X5I[/url]
[/quote]

I'd agree that was 'growly', but it's also 'burpy'. IMHO, of course. :)

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1434842149' post='2803290']
While I appreciate those that have given me serious answers, because of the inconsistency between posts, I still feel unsure as to what growl is.
[/quote]

This is likely to continue for as long as it takes you to form your own definition. You'll then be able to post [i]that [/i]in reply to the next person that asks. How long is a piece of string..? How many beans make five..? What is growl/burp/grind etc..? Good question, certainly. There is no answer, although it's fun trying. B)

I'm not 100% sure on the exact definition of growl either, or how it differs from burp, but I imagine it as an emphasis on the lower end of the midrange? Someone postes a video a while back of GUN doing 'Better Days' in a rehearsal studio.......was that bass tone growl or burp?

I think I hear growl on the first RATM album.......yes?

[quote name='matski' timestamp='1435066284' post='2805052']
Basses only play like butter if you are in the US. If you are in the UK basses play like lard.
[/quote]

Mine plays like lard, yet I can't believe it doesn't play like butter.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1435074378' post='2805170']
Presumably it's inadvisable to keep your bass in the fridge as it'll become difficult to spread. Unless it's utterly butterly, of course.
[/quote]

I don't know about putting a bass [b]in[/b] a fridge, but a lot of people will rest theirs against one:

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1435078056' post='2805243']
What's worrying me is that it's mic'd up.........
[/quote]

Isn't that how one is supposed to record it..? :unsure:

:lol: :P

(... [size=3][i]but it's not really leaning, either; it's on a stand..![/i][/size] ;) )