Why become a member? ×

Remembering John Glascock

spectoremg

[attachment=194614:John Glascock 2.jpg][attachment=194615:John Glascock.JPG]
Been listening to a lot of Tull lately; particularly Songs From The Wood/Heavy Horses - a great period for the band with this excellent bass player.
RIP John.

Edited by spectoremg

I'm sure I've nominated him under various 'unsung heroes' type threads on here before. Also check out his pre-Tull work with Carmen. They toured with Tull which is probably where JG got noticed as a potential future member (happens a lot). I tried to casually pick up some of his lines from those Tull albums and they are often not as easy as they might seem. I think I gave up on Acres Wild, the timing is a bitch to get spot on. It was one of the reasons I got nudged to try out a Stingray but I think a lot of his lines were actually recorded on a P anyway.

Edited by KevB

Big +1 to pretty much everything above.
John Glascock had a brilliant feel in his basslines, and even revisiting such era Tull albums 30+ years after first listening to them I'm finding new bits to hear today. (Actually that's true of alot of things I got into in teenage years!) Definitely one of my bass influences before I even considered playing bass.
Wasn't he something of a party animal, to boot?

Ian Anderson did a very creditable job on those tracks that JG was too ill to record on Stormwatch though. Dark Ages is a cracking bassline from someone not normally associated with bass playing. back to JG though, some belters on Too Old To Rock n Roll, SFTW, Heavy Horses. You can really feel the train going along on Journeyman for instance...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U200PtLtcFA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U200PtLtcFA[/url]

Edited by KevB

Great player. I love the fills going into each verse in Cup of Wonder. Martin Barre has said that JG was more into the music than anyone else in the band during the SFTW period. I agree with the positive comments above about IA's bass playing on Stormwatch, which sounds very Glascock influenced.

Thanks for this thread.
JG is one of the guys who pulled me towards the bass, and you guys inspired me to pull out Stormwatch again after a long hiatus.

"Hunting Girl", yes!
Also "Songs from the Wood" is a personal fave. Luvverly song AND bass playing.

Me too, I'm grateful I caught him live twice. The first time I was unaware of him, and disappointed Jeffrey H. wasn't there, but JG quickly won me over.

Dunno if it was mentioned yet, but apart from his parts and his playing prowess, for me personally the SOUND of it all was something unheardly new and hugely inspiring.

RIP

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1434994790' post='2804528']
Here's John demonstrating that playing with a pick needn't and shouldn't be crap.

[media]http://youtu.be/m_lQ0H4zZEA[/media]
[/quote]What a cracking bit of video, looks like it was edited by a musician too instead of the usual 'focus on the singer' approach.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1435001892' post='2804652']
It's always struck me how much Ian Anderson looked like Chris Martin round about that '76 Minstrel phase.
[/quote]

Chris was born in '77 so perhaps should be, Chris Martin who looks like Ian Anderson round about that '76 Minstrel phase, unless either possessed a time machine! :rolleyes: