Why become a member? ×

Custom built Esh "Theo Pas'cal" Signature 6 string - £700

Mike

Hi guys.

A very interesting piece here. This is a bass as a trade from Portugeuse pro bass player Theo Pas'cal - check his [url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=86945865"]Myspace[/url] for clips of this bass in action. More info on Theo [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274448&page=2"]here[/url] as well as his musical available on the web. You can see this bass in action in [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFyCUy1exoA"]this Youtube video[/url].

He has this bass built by Esh to exacting specs while he had a sponsership deal with them. This is his actual bass, not a signature copy. I'm not 100% on the woods, unfortunately. It has some very nice Kent Armstrong pickups, a very solid bridge, and the Esh pickup switching system. Someone has already written about them on Harmony central, so I will copy what they've written.

[i]The electronics are interesting as they use a proprietary system called "Esh-tronics" which I believe are made by the company that supplies Mercedes-Benz with sophisticated electronics. There are controls for volume, tone (No separate treble and bass controls) and one pot with four detents for: bridge Pickup only; parallel, bridge with mid-boost; and, series. The fourth control pot also has four detents: studio (which bypasses volume and tone and is a direct signal from the pickups; passive; passive with piezo; and active with piezo. The piezo is adjustable from inside the cavity and a little dab'll do ya. There are 16 possible variations but I prefer to stay with series/parallel and opt for passive or active depending on the song. Slappers would love the bridge with midboost / active options.[/i]

As you can see, this makes the bass extremely versatile. Whilst not as easy as conventional dialing in bass/treble, I found it ultimately more interesting to experiment. Takes a bit to get used to, but when you've found "your tone" then it's very easy!

It's very nicely balanced, with a fantastic bridge. The neck is comfortable and fairly shallow. Compared to my old Ken Smith BT-6 this is pretty easy to play!

The only issue with the bass (which you may have noticed) is a little laminate missing from the headstock. Personally, this doesn't worry me, and others who have seen the bass haven't even noticed it. But it can be sorted fairly easily by a luthier - the guy who is familiar with this bass, having worked on it for Theo, says he can sort that, remove the signature, and do a set-up for around £100. Of course, this is purely cosmetic and doesn't affect the bass playing or tone.

I would ideally like this bass picked up, but I can ship for around £20 fully insured in the UK. Abroad will be pricier, Euro-BCers!

If you want to come and play it, please do. I'm in Chelmsford Essex.

I'm looking for any interesting trades on this bass. Especially Moon J Basses, original Jeff Berlin Dean sigs, Sadowskys...interesting Fenders..

I'm also open to offers. It's a really high quality pro bass, so please be reasonable :)

I'll review the offers I get (both trade and cash) and decide what I fancy.

PMs are fine, or email to mikemcgibney AT gmail DOT com.

Regards

Mike

Edited by Mike

Cheers for the comments guys. It's a top bass. Getting it out today to photograph it, I started jamming along with some Richard Bona - it has such great tone and so easy to play. I felt that the solos I were playing were just coming across so much better than usual. I guess it's the dream to have an instrument which allows you to convey your ideas as easily as possible - unfortunately, I'm more of a four and sometime five player, so it's unlikely I'll gig with this.

PMs replied, some very interesting offers. Feel free to make a cash offer.

Cheers for the comments. It's a nice sounding bass. I now have a roadmap of the controls and they make a lot more sense. One knob is for pickup configs and the other for the type of electronics being used (e.g active with piezo, ditto passive, passive, studio output).

I'd be happy to look at offers around £700.

Regards

Mike

[quote name='Oversoul' post='280277' date='Sep 9 2008, 12:24 PM']Now that's a curious find!! Theo Pascal is one of Portugal's finest, kind of like our domestic Bona hehe. Always wondered if he still had that bass.[/quote]

Well, not anymore! Yes, Theo seemed like a real gent, and a wonderful player as well.

I'm open to offers, on this, guys.

[quote name='Mike' post='271059' date='Aug 27 2008, 03:06 PM']Yes, some really interesting shapes on the website. The new Poseidon is interesting! I think this one is different enough to be cool but not too wacky![/quote]

The Poseidon looks fantastic. But it looks a bit fragile to me. I could imagine bits breaking off if the bass is mishandled. The bass for sale is a beautiful bass too. Someone who works for that company is a true artist.

Edited by Annoying Twit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...