Why become a member? ×

Surprisingly Easy Basslines

Nicko

I'm sure this has been done before but...

The band agreed to cover Place Your Hands by Reef. I had a quick listen and it sounded quite complicated. But it took about 5 minutes to learn the phrases and another 5 to learn the structure. Any more suggestions for great lines that are like falling off a log?

I recently learned Root of all evil by Dream Theater thinking "Yes it's one of their easiest songs but it still sounds quite a challenge". Found it was actually fairly easy...a lot easier than it sounds. (a little enduring as it's a long song though). I'm not a very skilled player really.

Song 2 by Blur would also be one I'd count

Edited by Cameronj279

One band decided they wanted to play 'Can You Dig It' by the Mock Turtles. The first time I listened to it I thought the bassline was all over the place but when I actually got down to learning it everything neatly breaks down into repeated passages that aren't tricky at all. I think the slides make it sound more complicated.

[i][b]Thinking Of You[/b][/i] by Sister Sledge. Once you're happy with your timing it's far easier than a first listen suggests. It's also generous if you want to play around with a few fancy runs in the verses, almost as if it's harder to play out of key than in.
We don't actually rehearse this one very much so I've only got one or two recordings. As I'm doing backing vox I tend to listen to how those are sounding, but I can't help noticing these crafty bass runs in the background which sound quite impressive - in truth they're not far from random.