Why become a member? ×

New band day - some personal firsts UPDATE

I'm rehearsing with a new band tomorrow , it's a bit of a departure for me.
My first covers band
My first exclusive lead vocal (only shared vocal duties until now)
The first band that I have been the main instigator.
After depping with a local tongue in cheek country band I got to thinking that I could do with the money and it could be fun too. The band I dep for has anything up to eight members , I decided to drastically reduce things and called in a guitarist and drummer to form a country rock trio (with a definite nod towards ZZ Top). I've gone through the songs with the guitarist and tomorrow we will play together for the first time.
Slightly apprehensive but looking forward to it.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1431803499' post='2775207']
My first exclusive lead vocal (only shared vocal duties until now)
[/quote]I recently was put in this position and the bit I found the scariest. In case you have any apprehension, I can safely say that it gets easier the more you do it.

The band sounds like a great venture, post some YT clips sometime. Cop a listen to some Blackberry Smoke, you might get some new song ideas there and, of course, Lynyrd Skynrd.

We are keeping it simple for now, some Lynyrd Skynrd is on the cards , just trying to work out how to do justice to their stuff as a trio.Some Elvis songs will make an appearance at some point too.
It's mostly cheesy crowd pleasers so far and a few we enjoyed playing in the other band.
What we'll be trying this evening:
Fulsom Prison Blues
Okie From Muskogee
Green River
Long haired Country Boy
Copperhead Rd
Tush
La Grange
Sharp dressed man
Gimme all your lovin
....and with tongue firmly in cheek ....
Conway Twitty - I see the want to in your eyes
Madonna - Hank Panky (learned it for a panto a few years back as "Widdow Tw***y" ,some of the lyrics are massively wrong when sung by a man. "Don't slobber me with kisses , I can get that from my sister")

Rehearsed last night, sounded great (in parts!) most of the songs were falling into place , gimme all your lovin was the only one that really struggled, guitarist needs to do some more work on it and I need to get on top of the vocals (maybe change key)
Last night's session was primarily a "lets see if it works" thing, we're all busy for the next couple of months and will only rehears sporadically until the autumn when we'll make a video and record a demo.

• 10 months later...

So we just played our first gig....Bloody brilliant!
It was intended to be a low key first outing but everyone turned out and reassuringly a few faces we didn't recognize were there too and enjoying it. Lots of good feedback. We only had ten songs so we did this one twice ...
[url="https://www.facebook.com/The-Dooks-981940681886219/"]https://www.facebook.com/The-Dooks-981940681886219/[/url]

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1431852028' post='2775474']
Conway Twitty - I see the want to in your eyes
[/quote]

Embarrassed to admit that I know this song from when it was played in its entirety on 'Family Guy'. :D
Good luck with the band, country is the new black or something.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1460276474' post='3024172']
Embarrassed to admit that I know this song from when it was played in its entirety on 'Family Guy'. :D
Good luck with the band, country is the new black or something.
[/quote]
That's how I know it!
Our guitarist suggested that we play Wham's Club Tropicana in a hill billy style, sadly I don't have video evidence but it was the most talked about song in our set.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1460277876' post='3024192']
Well worth the effort my friend. I enjoyed that clip.

Is that a Laney RB3 then? If so, had you got any head room with it at that venue or did you have to max it? Not used mine "in anger" yet.
[/quote]
It's an RGB 400, I had the gain on 1.5 and the vol on 4.8.

Good luck with the new band.
I'm surprised you managed to get booked with only ten songs unless you were support to the headline act.
We did our first gig with our new band in February and we ensured we had twenty four songs rehearsed before making any bookings, maybe venues in our part of the country expect more or is this the norm?

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1460315413' post='3024619']
It's an RGB 400, I had the gain on 1.5 and the vol on 4.8.
[/quote]

My mistake, sorry. Crikey, your amp was barely above idle then. It's nice to know you aren't going to clip or distort unintentionally.

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1460325025' post='3024732']
Good luck with the new band.
I'm surprised you managed to get booked with only ten songs unless you were support to the headline act.
We did our first gig with our new band in February and we ensured we had twenty four songs rehearsed before making any bookings, maybe venues in our part of the country expect more or is this the norm?
[/quote]
It was just a low key first outing at the local pub. I've played there many times with my other band, they know me well.