Why become a member? ×

Im not usually a Metal fan, but this is killer Megadeth.

bubinga5

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1431681056' post='2773859']

Except I can't not sing Four Horsemen along to Mechanix...
[/quote]

That's the right way round: Mechanix is better played, Four Horsemen has better lyrics :lol:

Edited by Graham

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1431644131' post='2773669']
Tornado Of Souls is a massive highlight for me.

Certainly a song that I've had on repeat again and again since I was thirteen!
[/quote]

+1. The whole album is a masterpiece, and Tornado for me the highlight. One day I'll have the time to transcribe Friedmans solos onto the bass.

Rust In Piece is a fantastic album, and hasn't aged either. A lot of 80s/90s thrash sounds dated now.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1431679560' post='2773838']
Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Testament... will always be Thrash bands to me (but Suicidal Tendencies are a hardcore band)
The first Metallica album I bought was Ride the Lightning in 1985. As a fresh faced 12 year old I was buying Powerslave and the guy behind the counter shoved RtL in my hand, saying "pfft, dinosaur rock. Get into these guys"
[/quote]

ST started as hardcore, but crossed over and "HWILT" and "Lights..." were definitely thrash albums. Their rhythm playing during that period was a massive influence on me as a guitarist, and, well, Robert Trujillo.

FWIW I bought Metallica's Master of Puppets in '86 aged 14 which absolutely changed my life!

Edited by hairychris

[quote name='hairychris' timestamp='1431690975' post='2774003']
ST started as hardcore, but crossed over and "HWILT" and "Lights..." were definitely thrash albums.

[/quote]

I know, but I if someone mentions ST my first thought is Hardcore, not Thrash.

A +1 for 'Wake up Dead', lovely moshing groove on that one...

On the ST front. First time I saw them was at 'Clash of The Titans' in Wembley (Slayer, Megadeth, Testament and ST) last time was at Colchester Arts Centre (basically a converted church.) I was having a pre-gig beer with a mate in Colchester High St, when 'Mad Mike' Muir wanders past with a Marks and Spencer carrier bag in each hand.

It was possibly one of the most incongruous things I've ever seen. LA skater, hardcore, guru just nipping into M&S for some sarnies and pants... :blink:

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1431693733' post='2774040']
A +1 for 'Wake up Dead', lovely moshing groove on that one...

On the ST front. First time I saw them was at 'Clash of The Titans' in Wembley (Slayer, Megadeth, Testament and ST) last time was at Colchester Arts Centre (basically a converted church.) I was having a pre-gig beer with a mate in Colchester High St, when 'Mad Mike' Muir wanders past with a Marks and Spencer carrier bag in each hand.

It was possibly one of the most incongruous things I've ever seen. LA skater, hardcore, guru just nipping into M&S for some sarnies and pants... :blink:
[/quote]

Classic!

Rust In Peace is a great Album, But Peace Sells does it for me. My Last Words is a favourite.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1431770968' post='2774761']
First four Metallica albums for sure, the other big names in Thrash were Slayer, Anthrax, Testament and Exodus :)
[/quote]

Overkill, Annihilator (Alice In Hell is a pretty cool tune) and Acid Reign would want to say hello too!

If you're checking out Testament, Electric Crown and Practice What You Preach are good places to start!

Edited by Fisheth

+1 to Overkill. Try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0KBryUoCto for starters.

I cut my bass playing teeth playing along to early Overkill albums. One of the things that separates them from the rest of the Thrash crowd is the clarity of the bass in the mix. Although the vocals are probably a bit marmite...

I always thought Megadeth were the most " technical" style thrash band, in a similar vein would be Testament and Metallica (first 4/5 albums. ) Anthrax different style, a bit more punky/ street feel to them IMO, but they can still play and have some good tunes. Enjoy!!!!

Love the MegaDave's!

Personally I think Peace Sells and So Far So Good So What, kick Rust in Peace's Arse! Seriously - it's not even close!

Incidentally, and nothing to do with the OP, but my favorite Mustaine quote is where he rates bass playing as a level up from playing the Kazoo! My friend thought he was being generous there!

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1431770968' post='2774761']
First four Metallica albums for sure, the other big names in Thrash were Slayer, Anthrax, Testament and Exodus :)
[/quote]

Exactly - not quite as big were bands like Flotsam & Jetsam, Acid Reign (not really as technical), and bands like Overkill (already mentioned).

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1431807070' post='2775251']
Exactly - not quite as big were bands like Flotsam & Jetsam, Acid Reign (not really as technical), and bands like Overkill (already mentioned).
[/quote]

Doomday for the Deceiver is a great album.