Why become a member? ×

Advice on fretless with narrow string spacing, 4/5 string

zawinul

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1431609924' post='2773170']
Sounds pretty reasonable for what you get! How easy/fast are they to play say compared to a fender Jazz which is what I'm used to? Certainly sound wise they are perfect, nice punchy sound !
[/quote]

The regular ACG spec is an asymmetric neck with a flat fingerboard and they play beautifully, but remember even the Standard Series basses are still custom hand made instruments.
You can spec neck profile, there's options on fingerboard radius and nut width on Custom basses, possibly some of those options on Standards too, but you'd best ask Alan at ACG about that.

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1431610244' post='2773177']
The regular ACG spec is an asymmetric neck with a flat fingerboard and they play beautifully, but remember even the Standard Series basses are still custom hand made instruments.
You can spec neck profile, there's options on fingerboard radius and nut width on Custom basses, possibly some of those options on Standards too, but you'd best ask Alan at ACG about that.

Eude
[/quote]

Cheers many thanks for that feedback I'd better get emailing Alan then!!

As Eude says. I had a new (radius-ed) neck made for my 4 string fretted Finn recently as I began to feel one or two of the parameters I'd spec-ed for the neck originally weren't working for me. The new neck suits me better and Alan was supernaturally helpful in taking on what must have been a relatively time consuming and not particularly cost effective job. He really looks after his customers.

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1431608994' post='2773141']
You may be right! I've never tired a bass with a high C, I have tried low B, and that always seems a bit muffle!! 4 string probably is enough really, look at Jaco, Percy Jones and Mick Karn!!
[/quote]

When I was looking at having a really good fretless made for me, I was originally going have a 5-string E-C because after all much of the interesting fretless stuff (particularly Mick Karn's work with Japan) features melodies played in the upper register. However trying E-C sets on a couple of basses I already owned convinced me that the high C was of little use and the same notes played on the G string always sounded far better to me.

I ended up getting Martin Perterson to build me a 5-string Sei Offset Flamboyant which has the best sounding low B of any bass I've ever played.

Not sure I would agree with BRX. That's just one person's opinion. I think it depends on the strings you use. I have used a round C and it did sound a bit thin. Part of the reason I traded that bass. However, my Overwater sounds just fine to me with Labella 760FS flats. Judge for yourself in the link below. All note played on the C and G strings.

https://soundcloud.com/bassbus/ow-test

The great thing about a 5 string is you can switch between BEADG and EADGC fairly simply (usually with a new nut and a setup).
I've found the 34" scales I've had don't have the articulation on the B string I'd like to see. For that reason I've been considering 36"+ if I look at acquiring another 5 string bass.
For fretted and fretless - I've found the heavier gauge of the B string a challenge. I'm still working on it - but I can see the advantage of the extended range - provided it can be played fluidly.

You might want to post where you live. That way you might find somebody locally who may be prepared to let you try theirs.

I recently parted with a Shuker 4 string fretless - gorgeous tone and you could probably pick one up for less than £1K.

As for ACG, another vote here...love my SC Harlot. Alan is really friendly and willingly gives advice about the variables. The filter based pre-amps do take a bit of getting used to but once you've got your head around them they really are the mutt's nuts.

I'd also consider a Jaydee...John is another of life's nice guys. There's one for sale here:

http://www.statii.com/forum/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=5885

You might want to think about Dodgnofski's fretless Status Kingbass though the ebanol fretboard might not give the tones that you're after.

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1431631496' post='2773495']
Cheers . I still think I would rather have thin weedy c string than thick muffle b string!! Or just keep to 4 string and move up neck!!
[/quote]

How often would you use the C string? If you'd only use it very rarely, it just makes an obstacle to stretch over to get to the four strings that you normally use - which is why I stick to 5-strings (B-G) rather than go to 6.

I've just got a Rob Allen Mouse 30 5 with a high C & I'm loving it!

Strings are La Bella Deep Talkin 760N

Early days yet but I can't put it down. Picked it up Wednesday from ThePapabull and done 2 gigs on it already and played it a few hours today, prob another hour or so tonight with Phil Jones headphones.

I was concerned about the narrow string spacing but I'm getting used to it. And the C string sounds sweet and musical, prob due to the shorter scale. Anyway time for another noodle on it.

Edited by Mr Bassman

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1431815956' post='2775339']
I've just got a Rob Allen Mouse 30 5 with a high C & I'm loving it!

Strings are La Bella Deep Talkin 760N

Early days yet but I can't put it down. Picked it up Wednesday from ThePapabull and done 2 gigs on it already and played it a few hours today, prob another hour or so tonight with Phil Jones headphones.

I was concerned about the narrow string spacing but I'm getting used to it. And the C string sounds sweet and musical, prob due to the shorter scale. Anyway time for another noodle on it.
[/quote]

i think thats the sort of thing I'm after , its would be great to play chords on top three strings. Narrower neck the better as far as I'm concerned, and shorter scale. Could n't bear a 35in ch scale and low b string, and wide string spacing!!! Why do all makers assume bass players have huge hands and long fingers!!!

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]The search go's on but i'm narrowing it down, probably go for custom build then I can get exactly what i want!![/color][/font]

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1431708720' post='2774226']
You might want to post where you live. That way you might find somebody locally who may be prepared to let you try theirs.

I recently parted with a Shuker 4 string fretless - gorgeous tone and you could probably pick one up for less than £1K.

As for ACG, another vote here...love my SC Harlot. Alan is really friendly and willingly gives advice about the variables. The filter based pre-amps do take a bit of getting used to but once you've got your head around them they really are the mutt's nuts.

I'd also consider a Jaydee...John is another of life's nice guys. There's one for sale here:

[url="http://www.statii.com/forum/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=5885"]http://www.statii.co...?thread_id=5885[/url]

You might want to think about Dodgnofski's fretless Status Kingbass though the ebanol fretboard might not give the tones that you're after.
[/quote]

Who is Dodnofski?

• 2 weeks later...

Still not really getting anywhere, theres so few shops in Uk selling so few fretless;s that its impossible to find what I'm looking for and will either have to buy blind or spend a ton of cash on something custom, which also I can;t play, its risky!!!

There is Mayans, anyone played one? Marleaux, expensive but look amazing

It seems that whatever way I look at it, there is no production bass that fits my needs except maybe Musicman but about from the passive rays can;t find a us music man fretless in the UK!!!

anyone had experience of ordering ftom that states? What are the taxes involved?

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1432847793' post='2785668']

anyone had experience of ordering ftom that states? What are the taxes involved?
[/quote]

I bought my Road Worn Jazz from the US a couple of years ago, VAT, import duty and the £10 Parcelforce handling fee added about 25% to the total cost.

[quote name='juliusmonk' timestamp='1432855157' post='2785730']
Get this: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/261797-fsft-zon-sonus-custom-4-fretless-plus-roland-gk-3b-pickup-price-drop-now-l1000/"]http://basschat.co.u...drop-now-l1000/[/url]

It's a fantastic fretless, and you'll save yourself half the money. I have small hands and playability was great.
[/quote]

seems like theres a few 'issues' with it! hate the dirty brown colour (call me superficial)!!

Thanks for heads up, the search goes; on I will get there in the end, portably need to visit bass centre in warwick and play on as many basses as possible that will give me a decent idea of feel, sound and weight etc

so far its down to music man sterling (can't find in uk) maybe sandberg (can;t try out locally) or a custom build which is up to £2000 (ouch!!)

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1432886213' post='2785814']
I bought my Road Worn Jazz from the US a couple of years ago, VAT, import duty and the £10 Parcelforce handling fee added about 25% to the total cost.
[/quote]

cheers thats good to know, who did you order it from?

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1432901609' post='2786049']
Second hand from Ebay, all I can remember is they were based in Milwaukee.

Maybe take a holiday to Florida with an empty bass case?

[url="http://www.basscentral.com/musicman/fretless1.shtml"]http://www.basscentr...fretless1.shtml[/url]
[/quote]

woud i get it through customs on the way back!?

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1432942329' post='2786551']
woud i get it through customs on the way back!?
[/quote]

TBH I don't know as I've not tried it before, it might be worth reading [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/139-importing-guitars/"]this[/url] thread if you have the time.