Why become a member? ×

Advice on fretless with narrow string spacing, 4/5 string

zawinul

Dear Bass Chat

i'm a new user, old bass player! Used to own a Wal fretless in 80's sold it (biggest regret of my life!), now looking to get another decent fretless but my budget at present not up to £3000-3500!

At present I have a Squire vintage fretless with Bad ass bridge, Its ok I guess but passive, not very inspiring, so want to treat myself to a decent bass up to £2000 (hopefully less!)

[b]Do any of you peeps know of a bass that has very fast neck with narrow string spacing 16 -16.5, lined fretless, active, I'm looking for punchy tone, like a Wal, but with decent growl, don't want muddy sounding crap, very crisp please!!?[/b]

It would seem to me having done research that 5 string basses usually have narrower string spacing ANYWAY,? so that could be a solution, strung E,A,D,G,C, don;t want low B, too low for me!

So I've looked at:

Status - wonderful narrow fast necks, headless, lovely, pricey, graphite neck = nice punchy tone with good highs £2500!
Sandberg - difficult getting any info on string spacing, and what does it sounds like? £1500
Roscoe- Looks and sounds nice expensive, not sure about spacing > £2200
Mayones - Look and sound ace, spacing? £1600 - 2000
Overwater- does do narrow strings, sounds very smooth but is it punchy enough? £2200
Musicman - as far as I see none in the UK, so can't fond out much about these. £1600
Spector - Dittp Musicman, are these any good (ca get a Euro for £1500)

So my question is has anyone experience with any of the above as fretless (or otherwise)... I know there is no substitute for a Wal and may even end up getting one, but is there ANYTHING out there thats what I want (can you read my mind)

I want quality, playability, light small body, fast action, narrow neck, smooth as butter with zing!!!! Any good suggestions other than above?

Thanks for listening I hope you can help!!!!!

I had a GWB35 for a while and had it strung E-C. It sounded so much better when I put the low B back on. Tone was a bit thin E-C. Status fivers are usually 18mm spacing. Spectors fivers are 35 inch scale if that's important to you. I get a fairly punchy tone from my Overwater. It has an ebony fingerboard which probably helps.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1431551514' post='2772610']
A word to the wise my good fellow...you need to talk to Alan from ACG, I am certain he could build you an instrument that would meet your criteria.

Alan builds killer fretless basses with a filter based preamp that would make a Wal blush...and at your budget.
[/quote]

I've never heard of this company, just seen the site, they look amazing! Demo's available?

I agree with the ACG comments. Really well crafted, good value and quality instruments.

You might find a used Rob Allen in your budget, I'm not sure on the string spacing. Might not have the right growl? :)

Warwicks are 16.5mm on the standard 5 strings. Definately growly and loads of choice. Some of them aren't too heavy

Alembic?
Pedulla?
Zon? I think there's a Vinny on eBay. Not to everyones taste :)
Modulus?
Sei?

Spoilt for choice :D

Edited by Dazed

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1431554761' post='2772657']
I agree with the ACG comments. Really well crafted, good value and quality instruments.

You might find a used Rob Allen in your budget, I'm not sure on the string spacing. Might not have the right growl? :)

Warwicks are 16.5mm on the standard 5 strings. Definately growly and loads of choice. Some of them aren't too heavy

Alembic?
Pedulla?
Zon? I think there's a Vinny on eBay. Not to everyones taste :)
Modulus?
Sei?

Spoilt for choice :D
[/quote]

I think all those you mention are way over £3000 or even more!! Pedulla look lovely but expensive!! 2nd hand maybe!!

Peavey Cirrus?

One thing to watch out for with 5-strings is that some are 35" scale, so you need to decide whether that will be OK for you. And another thing to think of is that as you're after a lined fretless, defretting a fretted bass is also an option.

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1431547853' post='2772562']
Dear Bass Chat

i'm a new user, old bass player! Used to own a Wal fretless in 80's sold it (biggest regret of my life!), now looking to get another decent fretless but my budget at present not up to £3000-3500!

At present I have a Squire vintage fretless with Bad ass bridge, Its ok I guess but passive, not very inspiring, so want to treat myself to a decent bass up to £2000 (hopefully less!)

[b]Do any of you peeps know of a bass that has very fast neck with narrow string spacing 16 -16.5, lined fretless, active, I'm looking for punchy tone, like a Wal, but with decent growl, don't want muddy sounding crap, very crisp please!!?[/b]

It would seem to me having done research that 5 string basses usually have narrower string spacing ANYWAY,? so that could be a solution, strung E,A,D,G,C, don;t want low B, too low for me!

So I've looked at:

Status - wonderful narrow fast necks, headless, lovely, pricey, graphite neck = nice punchy tone with good highs £2500!
Sandberg - difficult getting any info on string spacing, and what does it sounds like? £1500
Roscoe- Looks and sounds nice expensive, not sure about spacing > £2200
Mayones - Look and sound ace, spacing? £1600 - 2000
Overwater- does do narrow strings, sounds very smooth but is it punchy enough? £2200
Musicman - as far as I see none in the UK, so can't fond out much about these. £1600
Spector - Dittp Musicman, are these any good (ca get a Euro for £1500)

So my question is has anyone experience with any of the above as fretless (or otherwise)... I know there is no substitute for a Wal and may even end up getting one, but is there ANYTHING out there thats what I want (can you read my mind)

I want quality, playability, light small body, fast action, narrow neck, smooth as butter with zing!!!! Any good suggestions other than above?

Thanks for listening I hope you can help!!!!!
[/quote]

As others have already said, try ACG. As long as you don't go crazy with your specs you should be fine to get something to your requirements for your budget, easy :)

Eude

SR5's have 17.5mm string spacing.

I had the Overwater Perception 5 I owned fretted in the end as it didn't really wow me as a fretless.

It does sound like it's at least worth you speaking to ACG, I had one of his filter based pre amps, a very powerful tone shaping tool indeed.

Lots of people have recommended ACG, does anyone actually own one!? Theres only one demo online, it sounds nice but I would love to hear more before I ordered!

Sounds like he could built me a short scale fretless though for my short stubby fingers!!!

I have a couple of ACGs, have owned 3 others and have 2 on the way.
I'm having a 31.5" 4 string built right now which should be ready soon :) and have something a bit special on the back burner.

There's lots of samples and demos here >>
http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/category/media/

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1431600547' post='2772972'] I have a couple of ACGs, have owned 3 others and have 2 on the way. I'm having a 31.5" 4 string built right now which should be ready soon :) and have something a bit special on the back burner. There's lots of samples and demos here >> http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/category/media/ Eude [/quote]

I like the sound of the 31.5 inch!! What if I may ask is a decent price for an ACG, obviously it will depend on woods etc, whats an average?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1431600348' post='2772968'] Are you sure you want high C? My personal experience with fretless basses strung E-C is that the highest string was always thin and weedy sounding in comparison to the others. [/quote]

You may be right! I've never tired a bass with a high C, I have tried low B, and that always seems a bit muffle!! 4 string probably is enough really, look at Jaco, Percy Jones and Mick Karn!!

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1431608797' post='2773140']
I like the sound of the 31.5 inch!! What if I may ask is a decent price for an ACG, obviously it will depend on woods etc, whats an average?
[/quote]

A Standard Series 4 or 5 string starts at £1100 >> http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/standard-basses/standard-specification/
A Custom goes from £1800 up >> http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/basses/custom-specification/

Standards include some limited options, and a non angled headstock, a Custom would come with more choice of woods etc. Both specs are available in 31.5" scale.

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1431609185' post='2773148']
A Standard Series 4 or 5 string starts at £1100 >> [url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/standard-basses/standard-specification/"]http://www.acguitars...-specification/[/url]
A Custom goes from £1800 up >> [url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/basses/custom-specification/"]http://www.acguitars...-specification/[/url]

Standards include some limited options, and a non angled headstock, a Custom would come with more choice of woods etc. Both specs are available in 31.5" scale.

Eude
[/quote]

Sounds pretty reasonable for what you get! How easy/fast are they to play say compared to a fender Jazz which is what I'm used to? Certainly sound wise they are perfect, nice punchy sound !