Why become a member? ×

TI Flats – I've seen the light

philw

I "won" myself a cheapish (£27) set of TI Flats on eBay the other day. I'd never tried them before but I know how many here hold them in high regard.

They went straight on my pimped Squire Jag and they're bloody brilliant! So comfortable under the fingers and with a unique tone.

So, now I'm wondering if I should try a set on the fretless Wal or if I shouldn't splash out a set of TI roundwounds of some description for that (never been a huge fan of flats on the Wal before, I miss the roundwound growl).

Any suggestions?

Phil

Edited by philw

Hi Phil,

Sorry, no suggestions :(
Though if you like what you already have on the Wal, why not keep it that way?
Or maybe just keep an eye open for another bargain, and experiment then....

Just wanted to ask,
Do you find the TI Flats are very low tension?

I've got a set of Steve Harris Flats on my fretless, and they're good
But ideally, I wish they were a lower tension....

Good luck with your string search

I'd stick with rounds on the Wal.

I never really enjoyed the Ti Flats they were low tension for me and my sloppy technique. I might revisit them on my early P though. I've got rounds on my other P and I think it really needs to stay that way for the variety.

[quote name='philw' timestamp='1430992365' post='2766580']
...never been a huge fan of flats on the Wal before, I miss the roundwound growl. Any suggestions?
[/quote]

DR Fat Beams. Growl and heft in spades and would suit a Wal down to the ground... In my humble opinion, of course. :)
I've also been enjoying D'Addario EXL-170 BT (Balanced Tension) which also growl very nicely, if that's your thing.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430994195' post='2766606']
DR Fat Beams. Growl and heft in spades and would suit a Wal down to the ground... In my humble opinion, of course. :)
I've also been enjoying D'Addario EXL-170 BT (Balanced Tension) which also growl very nicely, if that's your thing.
[/quote]

+1 on the Fat Beams

[quote name='philw' timestamp='1430992365' post='2766580']

Any suggestions?

[/quote]

TIs are good. I tried them on my Overwater fretless and didn't like the tone on that bass. Loved the feel but not the tone. Proabaly just that bass as I have used them on other basses and loved them. Have you tried Labella 760FS flats? Same feel and tension as the TIs but on the Overwater they have so much more brightness than the TIs.

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1430992918' post='2766589']
Just wanted to ask,
[/quote]

Hi Marc,

Yes, they are pretty low tension but not so floppy that all the feel has gone. I have a set of LaBell White Nylons on one of my fretless basses and although they have a tone to die for, the extreme flopp makes them a really acquired taste and not one I'm sure I have, well not all the time.

This is LaBella White Nylons (on a fretless Yamaha BEX4): [url="https://soundcloud.com/philberish/whale-song-pw-remix"]https://soundcloud.c...e-song-pw-remix[/url]

Thanks all for the other suggestions. DR Fat Beams sound like an interesting option for the Wal.

Phil

Edited by philw

I have TI flats on just about every bass I own and (sic) rate them highly. The only bass that disappointed me with them fitted is my Corvette fretless. Now fitted with Chromes which just worked better for me.

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1430992918' post='2766589']
Hi Phil,

Sorry, no suggestions :(
Though if you like what you already have on the Wal, why not keep it that way?
Or maybe just keep an eye open for another bargain, and experiment then....

Just wanted to ask,

I've got a set of Steve Harris Flats on my fretless, and they're good
But ideally, I wish they were a lower tension....

Good luck with your string search
[/quote]
If you use rounds, like EXL170BT daddario's then there's no change in tension I found, but they will feel looser under your fingers compared to your SH sigs!

I've got La Bella 760s on my hofner violin bass. It just goes thud. Lovely.
Some sort of picato flats on my epiphone jack Cassidy. It just goes thud. lovely.
My Steve Harris 'West Ham' bass has steve harris signature flats on it. It doesn't go thud. It's almost alive with clank. I don't really understand. I've played rounds most of my life, usually Swing bass, but for a time, Elites and Rotosound 'Spacers'.
I also don't really understand this tension thing that people go on about.
Is there an enlightening thread I could read?

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1431261034' post='2769313']
I tried TI flats on my fretless Wal, they felt nice but killed the sound. It's come alive again with GHS Pressurewounds
[/quote]
Have you tried the TI jazz rounds - similar low tension (even lower?) but with RW sound. I get about a year out of a set, but I do like the sound of broken in / dead rounds. When they are new I roll off the treble for a few weeks, then after that they mellow out but there is still plenty of growl left if you dig in or bump the mids.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1431077862' post='2767520']
If you use rounds, like EXL170BT daddario's then there's no change in tension I found, but they will feel looser under your fingers compared to your SH sigs!
[/quote]

Thanks for that James
I mostly use Rotosound rounds, heavy gauge
I do like the sound from my SH sigs, but they do feel quite high tension

.... must check out those TI flats....

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1431156588' post='2768258']
I've got La Bella 760s on my hofner violin bass. It just goes thud. Lovely.
Some sort of picato flats on my epiphone jack Cassidy. It just goes thud. lovely.
[/quote]

I have Status Hotwire flatwounds on a short scale. They go thud. Cheap enought to try, but rather stiff compared to more expensive flats.