Why become a member? ×

Paul Gilbert

andy67

[quote name='teen t-shirt' post='268730' date='Aug 24 2008, 08:48 AM']thats another debate...

:)

no doubt thats what its for but i still feel it is mindless w***ing...

:huh:[/quote]

At least this time you admitted that 'you feel' its mindless blah blah blah as I can assure you that many people here do not.
:-)

Paul Gilbert's definately one of my musical heroes and a nice guy to boot.

Unfortunately, he suffers from some hearing-loss hence the massive ear-protection he wears on stage from time to time.

Mr.Big was such a great band and a shame that Paul Gilbert left. Was never quite the same with Richie Kotzen.

If you can, get hold of Paul Gilbert's CD "Acoustic Samurai". It's just him and Linus of Hollywood at the Hard Rock Cafe in Tokyo. As well as "Scarified" there's the great love song "I am Satan" :)

I saw Paul Gilbert on a mega guitar fest night at the HoB in LA. Lead acts on the bill were Satriani & Vai but also had Steve Lukather, Dweezil Zappa, Johnny Hiland, Scott Henderson, Johnny A & with Sheehan & La Rue on bass.

For my money Gilbert was the best of the lot!

Edited by molan

the only reason i feel its mindless w***ing is because i aint in to the whole tapping thing be it on bass or a guitar...

nor am i all for speed...

i admit yes hat mr. masaki has brilliant technical skills but i don't see the need for the tapping or the excess speed...

and my comment was nothing against Paul Gilbert...

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='267422' date='Aug 21 2008, 10:19 PM']Was really curious as to what that bass was. Looks smaller and lighter than a Rik. Also, seems to have tape markers on the back of the neck, just like my reverse neck bass (dots were on bottom).[/quote]

This has been on Talkbass about a thousand times. The bass is a Ric 4000 with a replacement P-bass pickup. For those not in the know, the 4000 is an unbound, dot- knecked single-pickup version of the 4001. From 73-ish they had set necks. How do I know this? What's my username? :)

[quote name='teen t-shirt' post='269450' date='Aug 25 2008, 12:48 PM']the only reason i feel its mindless w***ing is because i aint in to the whole tapping thing be it on bass or a guitar...

nor am i all for speed...

i admit yes hat mr. masaki has brilliant technical skills but i don't see the need for the tapping or the excess speed...

and my comment was nothing against Paul Gilbert...[/quote]

I'm not a fan of tapping either but I would hardly refer to it as you do. Nice to know you're keeping an open mind.

[quote name='Faithless' post='267419' date='Aug 21 2008, 10:15 PM']So, the bassist-one actually's a gu1tard!!!

At last, he was doing the whole thing with a pr1ck... umm, sorry, a pick - so, no big applause here...[/quote]

I really hope that's a joke. Squire and Entwistle use/used picks. So does Steve Swallow. So does Anthony Jackson. Do you hear Paco De Lucia saying to John McLaughlin "well you're ok, but to be really good you want to stop using that pick". Do you have to establish what kind of brushes Degas or Rembrandt used before you'd consider them great painters?

[quote name='4000' post='269477' date='Aug 25 2008, 01:41 PM']I'm not a fan of tapping either but I would hardly refer to it as you do. Nice to know you're keeping an open mind.[/quote]

sorry my inner what ever you call it, yob i think just appeared for a bit...

i do like to keep an open mind when it comes to bass and the techniques that i can pick up but watching or hearing a bass being tapped just puts me right off...

the same with guitar tho i hate it when my lead guitarist, (also my younger brother) decides to tap something instead of playing it just sounds awful...

I love Gilbert too, he's an amazing musician aswell as a master shredder. It's all very well these bass players on youtube doing a Scarified cover, I agree it's incredible but it's been done before, do it live if you're going to learn it....sitting in a bedroom is good but not that good. Juan's the man who cuts it live for a bass shredder!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOW_-OESnq0&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOW_-OESnq0...feature=related[/url]

[quote name='Jase' post='269675' date='Aug 25 2008, 06:55 PM']I love Gilbert too, he's an amazing musician aswell as a master shredder. It's all very well these bass players on youtube doing a Scarified cover, I agree it's incredible but it's been done before, do it live if you're going to learn it....sitting in a bedroom is good but not that good. Juan's the man who cuts it live for a bass shredder!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOW_-OESnq0&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOW_-OESnq0...feature=related[/url][/quote]
If you're going to do it I suggest a mullet of that magnitude may be in order also. Awesome, on so many levels.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='269819' date='Aug 25 2008, 08:59 PM']If you're going to do it I suggest a mullet of that magnitude may be in order also. Awesome, on so many levels.[/quote]

Yeah, it's addictive. Just incredible how players can get that speed and accuracy. Even if I sold my soul to the devil there is no way on earth that I could ever hope to get that stamina and speed in my fingers.....I've tried and it's soul destroying :)

Edited by Jase

[quote name='4000' post='269487' date='Aug 25 2008, 03:51 PM']I really hope that's a joke. Squire and Entwistle use/used picks. So does Steve Swallow. So does Anthony Jackson. Do you hear Paco De Lucia saying to John McLaughlin "well you're ok, but to be really good you want to stop using that pick". Do you have to establish what kind of brushes Degas or Rembrandt used before you'd consider them great painters?[/quote]

What, if it ain't?

Really, I dunno - in some point it was, in some wasn't.

Though, can you comment a bit more about what Degas/Rembrant's brushes have to do with pick/fingers question? :)

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='teen t-shirt' post='269517' date='Aug 25 2008, 02:43 PM']i do like to keep an open mind when it comes to bass and the techniques that i can pick up but watching or hearing a bass being tapped just puts me right off...[/quote]

Because you can't do it?

I concentrated a lot on tapping back at college because I thought it was a great technique, was amazing how the people to put it down were the ones who just couldn't do it.

[quote name='Faithless' post='270438' date='Aug 26 2008, 05:26 PM']Though, can you comment a bit more about what Degas/Rembrant's brushes have to do with pick/fingers question? :)[/quote]

Think the point is the tools used to create the art, as in who cares what sort of brushes Degas or Rembrandt used to paint, the same way as does it really matter in regards to using a pick?

no the thing is i learnt to tap because i thought well its another technique but then after learning to do it and play some stuff i really didn't like it...

no sorry thats bull crap thing is one i don't like the sound of a bass being tapped and i can't do it

:huh:

Edited by teen t-shirt