Why become a member? ×

Paul Gilbert

andy67

[quote name='joe_bass' post='271210' date='Aug 27 2008, 08:07 PM']Think the point is the tools used to create the art, as in who cares what sort of brushes Degas or Rembrandt used to paint, the same way as does it really matter in regards to using a pick?[/quote]

Yep, but if we look at this from the 'techy' side, pick/fingers aren't the same things, as the brushes are, right? :) As the 'tech-mastering' way - one is quite short, compared to another, and the second is waaay longer..

So, that's what separates gu1tards from bassists in bass-playin' case there...

I really don't want to start another thread about pick/finger questy, but, if ya asked, then I gotta say - yes, it DOES matter to me, mate :huh: While not that very much, but it does...

All the best,
pick-freak, Faith :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

Good news for the Gilbert-heads: he's touring Europe in November: details [url="http://www.paulgilbert.com/Tour2008.html"]here[/url].

I can't see who's in his band for this tour, but he's recently toured and recorded with Mike Szuter on bass. A new name to me... because also a guitarist (and singer), with a band called Magna-Fi.

PS: PG seems to actually like bassists, and has a quiz about them on his website, [url="http://www.paulgilbert.com/Bassists.html"]here[/url]. Pretty easy, except for the 80s hair metal, where I'm a bit under-educated. :)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='joe_bass' post='271210' date='Aug 27 2008, 06:07 PM']Because you can't do it?

I concentrated a lot on tapping back at college because I thought it was a great technique, was amazing how the people to put it down were the ones who just couldn't do it.

Think the point is the tools used to create the art, as in who cares what sort of brushes Degas or Rembrandt used to paint, the same way as does it really matter in regards to using a pick?[/quote]

Exactly! Thanks for clarifying my point. I appear to have a habit of using analogies that seem to go over people's heads. That's what you get for coming from a Fine Art background I guess. Basically it's not about how you created the art, it's about the art you created. To use another, simpler analogy, its like complaining about the type of spoon someone uses to stir their tea, when it's the taste of the tea that matters. :)