Why become a member? ×

I want a P bass but dislike P basses

Prime_BASS

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1429233941' post='2749590']
Reverend: [url="http://www.reverendguitars.com/category/bass/"]http://www.reverendg.../category/bass/[/url]
[/quote]

Oooh :gas: http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/fellowship/

I have a "super jazz", a Squire P and a Warwick Star bass, all 5 strings. they vary in neck width and tone and I end up playing one for a couple of weeks, then move on to the next etc etc. I always think, wow, this sounds/feels nice, why did I stop playing it and move on to the other ones................!.

There are any number of MIJ basses from the late 70s/early 80s which have single P pups, but otherwise look & feel nothing like a Precision. Westone Thunder, Westbury Track 2, Kasuga Scorpion, Washburn Scavenger or Vulture1, Vantage VS series & god knows how many others.

These were all great-quality instruments & most can be had for bargain prices these days.

Jon.

Lots of cool suggestions in here. I nearly got my hands on a modulus body which would have been ace but they want an extortionate amount for a piece of wood.

I know what I want in terms of specs, just can't seem to find a body shape and accompanying pickguard I like.

34"
20+ frets
jazz/slimish profile
ideally ebony finger board (was going get a warmoth one, just prefer the overall sound and darker look)
preferably weigh not a lot.

Single P pickup (will swap whatever is there for a Dimarzio model p unless I Falk in love with whats already in there)
passive

I don't mind the P body shape but as soon as I see one in the flesh it puts me off, sort of like when you meet someone from Tinder in real life.

Did think about looking at getting a custom body made up but don't want to pay a small fortune and wait forever.

Edited by Prime_BASS

Easy to answer - Yamaha BB1024 (or 1025 if you like having a confusing number of strings). I've had several Fender P basses, and a few non-Fender ones besides, but the 1024 leaves them in the dust I reckon. And not expensive either. Cheaper than a US Pbass for sure.

• 11 months later...

Over time there have been a lot of way different japanese jazz necks. I do not like all of them as much but then one can get used to just about any neck if playing it is a buzz.

I had a Nate Mendel sig Mexican P. It has a slimmed down P neck, badass bridge and quarterpound P pickup. This might be something you will like.

G&L (Tribute or USA) SB-2. G&L (USA only) SB-1 if you don't want the J pickup. Familiar, but different. Body been cut down/reshaped subtly. Jazz width neck on Tribute/choice of neck profiles on USA models. Butt-kicking MFD pickup(s).

Ignoring the fact that this thread is over a year old and therefore any answers we give now are most likely irrelevant...

Pretty much any 34" scale bass with a decent P-style pickup in the appropriate location will sound like a P-Bass.

Even this one:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Bass/BornToRockF4B.jpg[/IMG]

Never been a P-Bass fan and feel it wouldn't cope with a lot of what I do but I have been using the front pickup on a Jazz lately and this gets
me as close as I need to go for that woody thick 70's funk sound.
So, for me, it is just a question of a another sound the Jazz will get me...
Funnily enough, the blend control biased too much to a P Bass doesn't do it in terms of a general sound I'd want..but full balance onto the front
pickup does the P Bass thing.

I'm contemplating a pickup/pre swap out but am loathe to lose this sound at them moment.

• 3 weeks later...