Why become a member? ×

Did Loud Music Damage Your Hearing?

Hobbayne

Not me. I'm OK thanks. Our drummer and guitarist recon that they've got hearing loss. The drummer blames The Who but I think it's because he used to listen to music on headphones. He used to turn them up 'til his ears hurt, then it was loud enough for him. Guitarist had his ears tested and they are where they should be for someone of his age.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1427803055' post='2734373']
I can often find it hard to distinguish conversational speech if there's significant (not necessarily loud) background noise.
[/quote]

+1

I hate going to parties for this reason, and I'll only go into noisy pubs if I'm there to listen to a band.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1427818249' post='2734633']
I also I have tinnitus, which is an audio hallucination, for want of a better expression. It's a sound that you can hear but doesn't actually exist.
[/quote]

I have also heard it called 'brain boredom' - if you are busy or there are lots of ambient sounds around the tinnitus goes. At least mine does.

I've been wearing hearing aids for the last 7 years, since I was 50. When I had my hearing test done the audiologist reckoned I had the hearing ability of a 75 yr old. Which explained a lot. Not sure how knees and hearing are related, mind you :)

I blame Status Quo. I saw them in 1972 at the Queens Hotel in Westcliff (I was 15) when they had just released 'Paper Plane' as a single. Walked into the room and said - 'look, there's a space over there in front of that big speaker' :) Rob Young's harmonica solo in 'Railroad' caused me immense pain and I couldn't hear properly for 3 days. Never experienced the same thing since.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1427818249' post='2734633']
I have tinnitus... It's a sound that you can hear but doesn't actually exist.
[/quote]

The current mrs discreet has the opposite - I actually exist, but apparently she can't hear me.

A few years ago one of my ears got blocked up with wax and it was a few weeks before a Doctor managed to syringe it out. Losing hearing was absolutely terrifiying.

I wore earplugs before that incident but it really rammed it home to me how important it was.

I've got some er-20s which are nice but I keep thinking about splashing out for customs.

That's a useful little test! My results sit pretty much in the middle between "Normal Hearing" and "Mild Hearing Loss", ranging from 5-15db hearing levels. That's me taking the test at home with our four year old busily playing the background ;)

So better than I'd thought.

I do have mild tinnitus. I've suffered from various ear infections over the years; plus I sent my youth frequenting noisy gigs and clubs. Less so these days - and I now always use ear protection. Most of the time I don't notice it, but it's apparent in quiet environments. Thankfully not something I lose sleep over.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1427983789' post='2736687']
I bought ER-20s, but they didn't stay in my ears, so I don't use them, I just point my deaf ear at the noisy stuff, which may not be a scientific method for preventing hearing damage.
[/quote]

There are two sizes of ER-20, did you get the small one (sometimes sold as ER-20s - an actual thing, not ER-20 plural)? If so, try the other one? I know it's bigger because I got them first and they felt physically uncomfortable after about an hour in my dainty little ear canals.

I have hearing loss and tinnitus despite using generic plugs For years. When the tinnitus kicked in and I set off to see an audiologist. He scoffed at the notion of cheap and cheerful generics, when it came to protection and informed me that the only way to go was the custom route

I now use ACS custom and I can highly recommend them.