Why become a member? ×

Fender Rumble 500 V3 - Got One? What's It Like?

Norris

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1433082673' post='2787631']
...what I was sent should never have gone out in the first place, as it was obviously a previously returned item.
[/quote]

Ahh... you think they may be still trying to offload the duff combo? Bad form! Thpp! :P

Not sure what my serial was, TBH.

The material grille had clearly been off - so the impression I got was someone had maybe taken a look at the problem before?

I wouldn't be surprised with any shop - get it back, try to fix it, and out it.

The reason I bought elsewhere was that GAK said that the one I received was their last one, no more in stock.

Maybe I'm just too cynical - but it's odd it's the same problem on the same amp model from the same retailer...... :(

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1433085453' post='2787679']
Maybe I'm just too cynical - but it's odd it's the same problem on the same amp model from the same retailer...... :(
[/quote]

Yours had the same issue - sounds like a speaker has gone but coming from the amp?

To be fair to GAK, the amp is going back to Fender for them to look at. If Fender then send it back to GAK you would expect it to work correctly. I don't think that GAK would send out anything with a known fault, as handling a return would probably kill their profit margin

When I bought mine every store I checked out didn't have any in stock but I just so happened to order mine as they were coming back in so they must be very popular and selling a large number of units.

So far I think there's been 3 members had problems with theirs. I don't think that's too bad considering how many they are making so I wouldn't be too worried about reliability unless more and more start failing like the Ampeg PF500s did (mine included)

When you consider the price that they are selling as well, how good are components really going to be? TIme will tell. Mine has done 13 gigs so far but I always carry my DI box just in case, always have done.

Took my 100 back to the shop and, luckily, they'd had a new one delivered just hours before so they said I could just swap straight away. Very happy with the service!

Hopefully this one will do the business because they do sound pretty great. With the gain on 1 o'clock and the bass fully off, I can really nail that Duck Dunn tone.

[quote name='flippyfloop' timestamp='1433092348' post='2787758']
I'm looking into buying a couple of cabs & would like to know -
Can the 210 cabs do the modern thing well or are they more suited to vintage, warm stuff ?
I really favour cabs with good tweeters & good articulation.
[/quote]

The combo is pretty clean and punchy so I assume the cabs will reproduce pretty much any sounds you throw at them. The amp has a Vintage switch which does what it says - and that sounds good too

• 2 weeks later...

Used my Rumble 500 twice last week, once with an angled cab stand the venue had (I've got one on the way) and once with a beer crate loaned from the pub, sounded better on both occasions (from my perspective) than just having it sitting on the floor.
I've used it about 6 times now and am well pleased with it, I was thinking of getting an extension cab for it but I don't think I'll bother TBH.
On another point the line out hasn't proved a problem to sound engineers once I've explained it's a high output signal

Edited by PaulWarning

• 1 month later...

I bought a rumble v3 100, delivered today. When I plugged the combo in, which was already turned on, the power light and overdrive light flashed on and off multiple times and there was no power.

This happened multiple times, I then left it for 5 minutes and eventually the combo powered up.

Not happened again, any idea what the flashing lights mean?

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1438422272' post='2834351']
No idea. Mine hasn't done that. It does take a second for the light to come on when you flick on the power switch (just long enough for you to think wtf!) but no flashing
[/quote]

Thanks Norris, it only happened the first time, since then its been fine. However I bought this "new" from a shop and I wonder if this might be an indicator caused by mis-use in the showroom?
Great sounding practice amp, but I think I will swap it for an actual new model, don't want to risk any further problems!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1442642075' post='2868361']
I used my V3 Rumble Combo for the first time in a band practice last night. Good grief how loud are these things! I was quite surprised. It has a great tone and performed great.
[/quote]

Nice one. I don't even get my master volume to half way on gigs

Bought a Rumble 500 from GAK the other day (foot switch thrown in with it). Thought I'd do a bedroom tryout. It lasted less than 5 minutes before it stopped working. Straight back to GAK for a refund (which they did straight away, so top marks to them). That's it as far as Fender Rumbles are concerned. In over 30 years of playing guitar and bass I've never, ever had an amp fail on me (even after being thrown into backs of cars, roof boxes etc etc) so to have one fail at bedroom volume in less than 5 minutes is unacceptable.

[quote name='6feet7' timestamp='1442649789' post='2868407']
Bought a Rumble 500 from GAK the other day (foot switch thrown in with it). Thought I'd do a bedroom tryout. It lasted less than 5 minutes before it stopped working. Straight back to GAK for a refund (which they did straight away, so top marks to them). That's it as far as Fender Rumbles are concerned. In over 30 years of playing guitar and bass I've never, ever had an amp fail on me (even after being thrown into backs of cars, roof boxes etc etc) so to have one fail at bedroom volume in less than 5 minutes is unacceptable.
[/quote]
I's sorry to hear that. They are great when they work!