Why become a member? ×

Fender Rumble 500 V3 - Got One? What's It Like?

Norris

Ordered a 100 from my local music shop (The Music Dept., St. Albans) where they have them for £229! All the online shops have them for at least £240 so that was a nice surprise.

None in stock, so will have to wait a week or so. I'll be sure to report back with real world experiences when I've used it for a while.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1431367458' post='2770590']
Anyone got any real world experience of the Rumble 100? The 1x12 combo? The 500 is far too powerful for my needs, and I've tried one out in my local music shop but with an unfamiliar bass in a bad room!
[/quote]
I got one of these second hand a couple of months back, mainly because I had just started playing with a band again after a long absence. In short, it has been great. I have been using it for band practice with drummer, 2 guitarists and keyboards. It has held up very well....I have the volume about 50-60%. Yes, it could do with a bit more head room, but in a medium sized practice room I have been totally pleased. And the 9.9 kg is a massive massive plus!
I'm sure you'll be pleased with it, and at £229 it is a steal.
Hope you enjoy it! :-)

I'm thinking about the Rumble 500, but having been out of the bass amp market for a number of years, I'm not sure whether it would be a good investment or not. Even though it's not that expensive, it's still a fair outlay.

Is the quoted 350w of the combo on it's own powerful enough in a band situation? Obviously, with the external cab, you can get the "full fat" 500w, but are the "normal" 350w enough to cope with a drummer & 2 guitars?

Does the "Vintage/Modern switch make that much of a difference to the sound?

Has anyone tried it with a RickenFaker?

The Rumble 500 is big enough for my needs without an extension cab. It is loud.

The tone controls produce very usable sounds. The vintage switch makes a big difference and sounds very convincing (to my ears anyway)

Edit: I've not tried it with a faker but the real thing sounds sweet :)

Edited by Norris

I didn't get the footswitch. Again the overdrive is very usable especially in a band situation.

Overall I'm very impressed with the sounds available, especially for the price. Real valves would probably sound better to you, but I very much doubt it any of the audience would notice the difference.

Guest MoJo

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1431597603' post='2772907']
The Rumble 500 is big enough for my needs without an extension cab. It is loud.

The tone controls produce very usable sounds. The vintage switch makes a big difference and sounds very convincing (to my ears anyway)

Edit: I've not tried it with a faker but the real thing sounds sweet :)
[/quote]

I'll vouch for that. I listened to AnnoyingTwit playing Norris' Thunderbird through his Rumble 500. Huge sound and the valve overdrive effect was very musical. I could literally feel the money flying out of my bank account as I stood there grinning :D .

Edited by MoJo

I was right next to Norris's Rumble 500 for quite a bit of the Bash, and it sounded good and completely untroubled by the moderate volume it was producing - fortunately I already have the amplification that I need.

anybody know where I download a user manual? I'd like to know what frequencies the tone controls effect, the bass control seems very deep, turn that full up makes my speakers rattle and distort.
I should add I've done a google search and got nowhere

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1431703663' post='2774160']
I'll have a look at my manual tomorrow and let you know. I've got to dash out straight after work in my "weekend warrior" guise ;)
[/quote]ok cheers, I've been on the Fender site and the Rumble V3 series is not listed yet, as far as I can see

I had a few minutes so...

Bass: +/- 15dB @ 80Hz
Low mid: +/- 12dB @ 280Hz
High mid: +/- 12dB @ 1.2kHz
Treble: +/- 15dB @ 10kHz

Bright: +13dB @ 10kHz
Contour: +1dB @ 80Hz, -13dB @ 670Hz, +2dB @ 8kHz
Vintage: dynamic compression (-9dB max) with low pass (-6dB/oct) @ 400Hz

It keeps on impressing me!
First time now I ran it out with a Jazz and flats and it had loads of punch, pop and burp, So these are not just suited to P's.
Didn't have to touch the amp controls at all.

Edit to add, we do an outdoor'er on Saturday and I won't be going through the PA, so should see if the 4-10's can kick it out.

Edited by Highfox

Last night I played through a Hartke LH1000 with 4x12 (or maybe 10s? I didn't take that much notice) and 1x15 cabs (the house rig where we played). It was great having a stack behind me again. I'll now admit to having GAS for a 2x10 extension cab for my Rumble combo for a bit of extra height. There - I've said it.

Edited by Norris

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1432020259' post='2777226']
Edit to add, we do an outdoor'er on Saturday and I won't be going through the PA, so should see if the 4-10's can kick it out.
[/quote]

How did that go?

Edit: Doh! That's tonight! I want a full report though :)

Edited by Norris

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1432375992' post='2780929']
How did that go?

Edit: Doh! That's tonight! I want a full report though :)
[/quote]

Just back from it!
It was a pretty small event in the end, still nice to play outside and get paid even tho it was cold about +12 c. A few were up dancing and we also sold a few CD's , so can't be bad.
Pretty low volume levels as well, so no pushing the rig at all.
Must say I do like having the speakers closer to the ears and will always take the extension cab when I can.
It's just more goodness :)

Some wobbly video footage my daughter shot... Basssplayer-Jazzbass-boring - it's just noise lol.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bg5kk55-Tg&feature=youtu.be[/media]

Well I'm sad to say that mine seems to have developed a fault. It sounds like the speakers are farting but I think it's actually a dry solder joint in the amp. The fart comes out of both speakers when I hit a bottom G or A with the master volume at half way or above. Unfortunately with the bank holiday I'm going to have to wait until Tuesday to phone them. Hopefully they will replace it quickly - no gigs next weekend but 3 the weekend after. At least I've still got my Peavey as a backup :(