Why become a member? ×

Always great to hear again - nearly 43 years later!!

KiOgon

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1427447600' post='2730396']
Made In Japan was one of the first rock cassettes ( ;)) I ever heard (a friend had it when we went on holiday) and I love it but Machine head is right up there alongside it. But I have to say, the one ! go back to again and again, even now that I am a Jazz nazi, is 'Burn', one of the best rock anthems in the canon. (Rainbow Rising remains a favourite as well, for Airey and Powell as much as the rest)
[/quote]Go to agree with that, i love Burn. There are some right tunes on it. Burn, Might Just take life, You fool no one, Lay down stay down.

https://youtu.be/a58295TocB8

https://youtu.be/vXTopchIrNY

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1427409547' post='2730195']
Fireball is my favourite album of theirs though it rarely gets mentioned for some strange reason, it's always "In Rock" & "Machinehead" that get all the glory.
[/quote]

I inherited my older sister's vinyl copy. It has a lovely airy organic sound, and was one of the first albums that showed me that "hard rock" bass didn't just have to be dum-dum-dum-dum.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1427409547' post='2730195']

Fireball is my favourite album of theirs though it rarely gets mentioned for some strange reason, it's always "In Rock" & "Machinehead" that get all the glory.
[/quote]

Fireball is a good call, one of my fave purple albums too.

I can live with most of the line-ups but Made In Japan was a fantastic Live snapshot of the band at their peak.
I liked the way the band changed/evolved and was less concerned about rehashing the past..
altho whether it worked for the die-hards is another call. But for a band to go 30 years plus , you need
to mix it up and I think they tried to do that to keep it reasonably fresh and vibrant.

Blackmore was a magical player but when he rejoined around the late 80's early 90's..forget which time...
he just wasn't the same player/same mindset and that really finsished them off. Morse rescued them
to a degree, but only because Gillian and Glover came back..

I think it is great you got such a lenght of time out of them as a top notch act..??
Most should know when to give it up...

Bolin was class.... but it needed time....and the the band were probably too messed up at that time as well..

MIJ for early 70's is a great live album, IMO.. and was a benchmark of the time..??

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1427390363' post='2729839']
Sorry mate, but I have to disagree.

I'm a [i][b]Machine Head [/b][/i]purist, and the [i][b]Made In Japan[/b][/i] version remains a complete abomination.

:)
[/quote]

Not for me, I've always found the studio version of SOTW rather dull and lifeless compared with the MIJ version, that is still my 'definitive' version of the song. I'd take the live vs of Black Night from the same tour over the 'late night after a piss-up' studio version of that too. I'm not generally a fan of live albums either.

Edited by KevB

Incidentally, Coverdale has got the rest of the Whitesnake current band to have a go at re recording old DP songs from 'his' era (Burn, Stormbringer, Come Taste The Band). He's doing it as a sort of tribute to Jon Lord but it sounds like abit of a hiding to nothing to me.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1427408089' post='2730159']
Happy memories of listening to this album when it was first released.

This and Humble Pie, Rocking the Filmore are amongst my fave live albums.
[/quote]

Wot he said.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1427447246' post='2730387']
Oh and let's not forget the God that was Ronnie James Dio!
[/quote]

Indeed! The little man with the mighty voice.

You almost had to "grow another" to sing some of his stuff matching his range and power. lol

<><Peace

Burn is Purple's 2nd best studio album after Machine Head - no argument! For one album only the Coverdale/Hughes line up was magic.
And I agree with the guitar sound (or any instrument for that matter) on Made in Japan - they managed to get a brilliant un-cluttered sound.
Made in Japan's a great live album, unlike that overdubbed charlatan by Lizzy which wins all the accolades.
Ronnie James Who?