Why become a member? ×

The bass cellar - denmark street

budget bassist

[quote name='Protium' post='266572' date='Aug 20 2008, 07:49 PM']Music Ground on Oxford Road, Manchester is rubbish too.

Looking on eBay now, £1700 for a Ric 4003? (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150282792550)

"At this time rickenbacker are quoting circa 6-12 months on new orders and based on this schedule do expect interest in above being strong"

Does this justify almost doubling the price?[/quote]

MB1. :)
Music Ground Oxford Road Manchester!.... I know personally not to be rubbish! as i know the people who work there ,and i have indeed worked there myself.
John Rob and Tony will endeavour to obtain whatever your heart may desire at the best price possible ,They will attempt to match Internet prices,and all members of the staff are helpful without being annoying!(theyll usually just plug you in and leave you to it!)as for the Rickenbacker Scenario thats down to Rickenbacker themselves apparently an attempt to clear back orders?.

Edited by MB1

[quote name='bassman100' post='267223' date='Aug 21 2008, 05:33 PM']We would like to invite everyone who has posted a comment here to a real conversation regarding the issues they have raised. Our opening hours are 10am - 7pm monday to saturday and 11am - 5pm on sunday. We will be happy to dicuss these matters with you all and explain in detail the reasoning behind each of our policies. We are sorry to see a small proportion of our 200,000 plus customers each year feel they have received bad customer service, we welcome all feedback both negative and positive.
Yours sincerely,
The Bass Cellar.[/quote]
I'd like to do that, but unfortunately i live in nottingham, i'd VERY MUCH like to hear the 'reasoning' behind these policies though.

EDIT: i appear to be a bit late! was that an official response or what?

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='dlloyd' post='267385' date='Aug 21 2008, 09:29 PM']The 200,000 per year would most likely refer to the customers of The Bass Cellar, Hanks Guitars, Music Ground London, Music Ground Leeds, Music Ground Manchester, Regent Sounds, Rockers Guitars, Rhodes Music and Tin Pan Alley Drums. Hey, they're all part of the same company... It's almost the truth, and certainly sounds impressive... I'll take it! Can you lower the action a little before I take it away?[/quote]
Hanks is part of this fiasco too? That's really sad, they seemed to me to be cut from different cloth.

[quote name='pete.young' post='268118' date='Aug 22 2008, 09:12 PM']Hanks is part of this fiasco too? That's really sad, they seemed to me to be cut from different cloth.[/quote]

I think we should be taking that with a pinch of salt though. The staff make the shop what it is in respect to customer service and general atmosphere, not the owners who rarely show their face. If you get good customer service in a shop that is owned by the same people who own the Bass Cellar then don’t stop going back their because of how sh*t the Bass Cellar is for customer service, hopefully that will be reflected in low sales anyway.

Realistically, it’s equally the owner’s and staff’s responsibility to provide good customer service. It’s the owner’s responsibility to hire management who regard customer service as a vital attribute for a music shop, and then it’s the management’s responsibility to hire staff that are willing to provide good customer service. If Music Ground own Hanks Guitars and you’re getting good customer service in there, then I’d be guessing that poor management of the Bass Cellar has lead to these customer service horror stories that have been mentioned on this thread.

[quote name='bassman100' post='267223' date='Aug 21 2008, 05:33 PM']We would like to invite everyone who has posted a comment here to a real conversation regarding the issues they have raised. Our opening hours are 10am - 7pm monday to saturday and 11am - 5pm on sunday. We will be happy to dicuss these matters with you all and explain in detail the reasoning behind each of our policies. We are sorry to see a small proportion of our 200,000 plus customers each year feel they have received bad customer service, we welcome all feedback both negative and positive.
Yours sincerely,
The Bass Cellar.[/quote]

This is a little late, but I can't resist

(Before you read this, please note that I do not mean to offend anybody while I am voicing my opinion. If you feel offended, you have misunderstood my post.)

How is a "real conversation" different to an online one for this purpose? I don't know the figures, but I suspect a very large proportion of guitar/bass sales take place over the internet. I think it would be far more practical for everyone to voice their varied opinions all in one place, if ease-of-interaction is important to you. Also, everyone who is interested, but is perhaps too far away, can then find out the reasoning behind your policies.

I also find that news (especially bad new) spreads fast on the internet, faster than through word-of-mouth or even guitar magazines. So this "Small proportion" of customers could quite possibly have a huge effect.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='268170' date='Aug 22 2008, 10:05 PM']TBH it doesn't need to spread fast. If it's a constant murmur, you'll eventually hear something...

[url="http://www.uglybassplayer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12765"]http://www.uglybassplayer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12765[/url][/quote]

Fascinating! That's Venezuela, the USA, and Canada within half a dozen posts.

Bassman100, if you're still reading this thread you may want to give some thought to that.

To the best of my knowledge, that posting on UglyBassPlayer (which is a very cool site, BTW) has no connection with anything on this thread or previous threads about The Bass Cellar here on BassChat.

A guy travels 6,000 miles to visit your shop, is treated with contempt, and immediately tells every other bass player he can.

You'll never know how much damage has been done, because you'll never know how many (potential) customers never even bothered to walk through your door.

And that was within the last few weeks.

I've seen several threads on Talkbass, which is a very busy forum, asking for recommendations for bass shops in London and on every one, people are vehemently railing against the Bass Cellar, advising people to take their money elsewhere. I think there was a even a thread focused exclusively on how bad the Bass Cellar's customer service is.

The Bass Cellar fully deserve to go out of business ASAP. The most useless, unhelpful bunch of nonentities around. Music Ground in Leeds were pretty similar as far as I recall from twenty years ago. i wonder if they are in some way related?

Big up for the Gallery. Nice guys; helpful and knowledgeable. That's why I bought me Sadowsky there tbh...

I know I've asked this before in another thread, but is the Cellar the shop about halfway along Denmark St on the opposite side to Vintage and Rare, with a blue front and a guitar shop next door with the same colours? It's been a while so it might have been re-painted since I was there last, but the door is on the left hand side of the shop front, large window across the rest with the counter backing onto it and a central island of amps with SHED LOADS of basses all the way around the walls?
I don't remember getting particularly bad service in there before, they weren't offering to rub my feet while I played but I think I got to try a bass or 2. I might have given it a miss because of how cramped the shop was, but I think I remember playing something in there. I remember a middle aged chap telling me how the LTD edition Warwich Corvette the had in the window was a bargin (and probably that it was the only one, or one of only X ammount in the country) so I must have got some conversation out of them too.

I've got near terminal GAS at the moment so hopefully I'll get a chance to rate them again soon!

[quote name='Gamble' post='268221' date='Aug 22 2008, 11:47 PM']I know I've asked this before in another thread, but is the Cellar the shop about halfway along Denmark St on the opposite side to Vintage and Rare, with a blue front and a guitar shop next door with the same colours?[/quote]
It's the one with "Bass Cellar" written in big letters above it and grumpy looking staff in it. :)

[quote name='Gamble' post='268221' date='Aug 22 2008, 11:47 PM']I know I've asked this before in another thread, but is the Cellar the shop about halfway along Denmark St on the opposite side to Vintage and Rare, with a blue front and a guitar shop next door with the same colours? It's been a while so it might have been re-painted since I was there last, but the door is on the left hand side of the shop front, large window across the rest with the counter backing onto it and a central island of amps with SHED LOADS of basses all the way around the walls?
I don't remember getting particularly bad service in there before, they weren't offering to rub my feet while I played but I think I got to try a bass or 2. I might have given it a miss because of how cramped the shop was, but I think I remember playing something in there. I remember a middle aged chap telling me how the LTD edition Warwich Corvette the had in the window was a bargin (and probably that it was the only one, or one of only X ammount in the country) so I must have got some conversation out of them too.

I've got near terminal GAS at the moment so hopefully I'll get a chance to rate them again soon![/quote]
Yeah it is that one

Well I'm sorry to see no further response from Music Ground yet, and I've got a ferry to catch.

I'm spending the next week in one of the few places in Western Europe where I can guarantee there will be ZERO internet access, so I will look forward to seeing what progress (if any) has been made by the time I get back.

Have fun, and be good. Try to play nicely while I'm gone. :)

[quote name='thedonutman' post='268167' date='Aug 22 2008, 09:58 PM']This is a little late, but I can't resist

(Before you read this, please note that I do not mean to offend anybody while I am voicing my opinion. If you feel offended, you have misunderstood my post.)

How is a "real conversation" different to an online one for this purpose? I don't know the figures, but I suspect a very large proportion of guitar/bass sales take place over the internet. I think it would be far more practical for everyone to voice their varied opinions all in one place, if ease-of-interaction is important to you. Also, everyone who is interested, but is perhaps too far away, can then find out the reasoning behind your policies.

I also find that news (especially bad new) spreads fast on the internet, faster than through word-of-mouth or even guitar magazines. So this "Small proportion" of customers could quite possibly have a huge effect.[/quote]

I may be wrong, but I do believe the Bass Cellar's post wasn't really an invite to come down, but more of them putting an onus on us to make the journey there for a meeting, which most of us are too busy with work and band stuff to do. Thereby them having one over us.

I have been at the Bass Cellar before and generally my experiences haven't been favourable... which is a real shame. The only thing that shops like this have over internet shops like Thomann and sites like eBay is customer service. There will always be a market for musicians who will pay that bit extra to get a stellar service, who want to feel good that they're blowing a couple of hundred pounds expelling GAS.

When I went to the Bass Gallery to look at lightweight cabs, Alex there was busy, but nonetheless took the time to show me and talk about cabs I might be interested in. Left with a deposit on an Epifani UL-110 cab.

When I was a kid, I used to go all the time to a music shop in Putney called Ritz Music. They would always say hi when I entered, but never hassle me. Then when I started earning money, I would always go there for setups and to buy leads and stuff.

I heard a story the other day about Richard Branson. He said he would seek an area where a quality service wasn't being provided, and then provide it. His reasoning is that there will always be a market for a quality service. By any music shop providing a bad service, you are removing the only advantage you have over stores like Thomann.de. Some people do want to do business with people, but they do want to be treated like people in return.

I am geninuely sad at the prevalence of the Bass Cellar's poor reputation. If it ever goes bust, the only dedicated bass shop in London would be the Bass Gallery. We don't even have a Soundcontrol anymore!

Edited by s_u_y_*

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='268356' date='Aug 23 2008, 10:41 AM']I heard a story the other day about Richard Branson. He said he would seek an area where a quality service wasn't being provided, and then provide it. His reasoning is that there will always be a market for a quality service.[/quote]

Well he’s really f***ed up with Virgin Media then :)

Yours sincerely,
The Bass Cellar.[/quote]

Whilst I find it intriguing that someone (it would appear on face value) has had the decency to post a repsonse of sorts, it sadly means nothing without entering into an open dialogue and identifing who has posted it.

Is this one of the staff or somone in a position of authority? I have no desire to pick fault at what has been put, however there is a HUGE ill feeling towards the place on here, and that post above does nothing to alay those concerns. IN fact in some ways it goes to re-inforce teh arrogance several on here have felt and voiced concerns about.

I amongst others have had a less than favourable experience at this shop, and it is a common thread throghout this post.

If you are in a position of authority, come back on and promise us that you will address concerns that your staff are uninterested and the shop is not as well orgnsed as it could and should be. THEN and maybe ony then we may give BC a second chance.

I would genuinely like to know from where your figures of 200 000 customers comes from and considering that we have 3.5k members on tihs forum and there is little or no positive feedback on here about BC I would say that that is a pretty huge proportion of the UK bass playing public.

I wanted (and in some way still do) the BC to be a 'WOW' inspiring place, a bass mecca if you like... its Tin Pan Alley FWIW.

Maybe new staff or an injection of new ethics or training into the existing staff would help, but without those re assurances the post above is meaningless.

Whilst I again find the sugestion that we should come and voice our complaints in person to whom shoul;d we address them?

..... I invite you to address them on here.... come on, there is a 3.5k audience here. ALL OF US OWN AND PLAY BASSES!

Yours sincerely,
The Bass Cellar.[/quote]
Are you in charge of staff training ?

After reading this thread:

I am arranging a trip to London (I've never been)
intending to visit as many music shops as possible.
I have been told wonderful stories from friends who have done the 'tour of duty'
buy something?? hmm bass maybe, dont know - something will pop up!

but after reading this thread...BC has lost any chance of me visiting and purchasing.

The sheer arrogance of that reply/post from bassman give a transparent view of this shop and 200,000 customers?? Aye maybe since day one however, how many are happy? satisfied? would go back? recommend to another?

Such a pity....

[quote name='andy67' post='268611' date='Aug 23 2008, 09:26 PM']After reading this thread:

I am arranging a trip to London (I've never been)
intending to visit as many music shops as possible.
I have been told wonderful stories from friends who have done the 'tour of duty'
buy something?? hmm bass maybe, dont know - something will pop up!

but after reading this thread...BC has lost any chance of me visiting and purchasing.

The sheer arrogance of that reply/post from bassman give a transparent view of this shop and 200,000 customers?? Aye maybe since day one however, how many are happy? satisfied? would go back? recommend to another?

Such a pity....[/quote]

Good for you! And anyway, 5 minutes in the Gallery and you'll wonder why you ever bothered with any other bass shops at all. :)

This is the right way to go - potential customers talking with their feet. And with regards to going down to the Bass Cellar to discuss any issues I may have - no. They've already lost my custom. I've found better places to shop and until those places start to become like the Bass Cellar, I'm sticking with them. And I'll continue to be vocal with my distaste for the place because I don't want to see others suffer the rudeness and contempt that has been their modus operandi for as long as I can remember.

Edited by geilerbass

As someone who works very close to the Bass Cellar I've popped in several times over the past few years.

General level of service is best described as one of general disinterest aligned with a hint of arrogance. Now, whilst this isn't uncommon in Denmark Street there really is no excuse for this sort of attitude in any service industry. Especially as the web has opened up the opportunity to browse at leisure, seek users advice & track down the best prices.

Some thing that bought this home today for me was a simple trip to my local Waitrose. Let's face it, working in a high street supermarket isn't that exciting & the wages are generally rubbish.

However, today every single person I came into contact with could not have been more helpful, friendly and genuinely appeared pleased to serve me with a smile. I have no idea whether this is because they have a really stringent employment policy, a great motivational manager or just that it's a group of people who vaguely enjoy their work.

Given that working in one of London's most famous areas, surrounded by great shops, bars, restaurants, music venues etc. has got to be a bit of a privilege and, if you're a bass player, then working in what ought to be one of the best bass places in the country should really be a bit of an inspiration to enjoy your working day and offer up some great client service.

The Bass Cellar should be buzzing with good vibes and smiles and it just isn't, it's miserable and dowdy and seems like there's a cloud over the place. Seems like an example of classic sales prevention rather than being an effective sales force. if they do have 200K people going through the doors just imagine how much more they could sell by simply improving the attitude of the staff.

Oh, and by the way, last time I was there the guy 'helping' me gave me incorrect information about Warwick bass neck profiles which took me about 2 seconds to check online. I was pretty sure he was wrong when I was in the shop be he was adamant and wasn't going to check his information. It's not like they actually have to know that much to do a decent job, If I can know this stuff when it's only a hobby for me why can't someone who does it as a job be bothered to do some 'homework' and be a bit more professional?

[quote name='molan' post='268628' date='Aug 23 2008, 10:18 PM']Some thing that bought this home today for me was a simple trip to my local Waitrose. Let's face it, working in a high street supermarket isn't that exciting & the wages are generally rubbish.

However, today every single person I came into contact with could not have been more helpful, friendly and genuinely appeared pleased to serve me with a smile. I have no idea whether this is because they have a really stringent employment policy, a great motivational manager or just that it's a group of people who vaguely enjoy their work.[/quote]

Yeah... as a former Waitrose employee, they really do drill customer service into you focus on employee happiness (the yearly bonuses are great!) and make you feel like you are a "partner" in the business. Waitrose have a pretty tidy market share, despite selling brand stuff more expensively than Tesco and Sainsbury. A customer can request their shopping to be taken to their car or to the taxi rank outside. You can leave your shopping at customer service desk so you can pick it up later, or even have it delivered to your home later on. There will always be a market for good customer service. I hope the Bass Cellar learn this soon, or they might just go the way of the Bass Centre which is bad for choice for bassists in London.

Edited by s_u_y_*