Why become a member? ×

Aguilar TH500 distortion issues...

Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1426836615' post='2722410']

I traded it on here and as far as I am aware, the warranty is limited and non-transferrable.

I have also been advised that there may be a capacitance/compatibility issue with the Big One, but I haven't been able to try his suggested solution due to the speakon only outputs on the amp and the fact that all my speaker cables are short and high quality...!

Also, at the end of the day, I am frustrated by the interaction of the controls and suspect that this amp is just not for me. Such is life!
[/quote]

I don't really understand this Conan.

Without isolating the problem you don't know whether there is anything wrong with the amp at all. It could just as easily be the cab.

Also, if you sell an amp that already described as having distortion issues at zero gain then you won't get a huge amount for it because any new owner would need to get it fixed first.

I'd get it to a shop and try it there. Any guitar shop should have the correct cables and any cab will let you find out if the amp actually has a fault or not.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1426846477' post='2722547']
I don't really understand this Conan....
[/quote]

To be fair, I'm not sure you've been keeping up with everything I have posted, and I haven't necessarily posted everything that I know! I have had a number of PM conversations with other members on here.

Making public judgements from a position of partial knowledge (and potentially harming my ability to sell/trade something) is rather unfair :(

I am fully aware of what I need to do to (try to) isolate the source of the issue - but I am also aware that it may not be as simple as that.

If you are suggesting that I would attempt to sell something that I [b][i]know[/i][/b] to be faulty, then I am saddened. Have you read my feedback on here? <_<

[i][b]I[/b][/i] never said it was faulty - it was other self-appointed "experts" who did that. :unsure:

Please don't jump to conclusions without knowing the full story :rolleyes:

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1426847412' post='2722565']

To be fair, I'm not sure you've been keeping up with everything I have posted, and I haven't necessarily posted everything that I know! I have had a number of PM conversations with other members on here.

Making public judgements from a position of partial knowledge (and potentially harming my ability to sell/trade something) is rather unfair :(

I am fully aware of what I need to do to (try to) isolate the source of the issue - but I am also aware that it may not be as simple as that.

If you are suggesting that I would attempt to sell something that I [b][i]know[/i][/b] to be faulty, then I am saddened. Have you read my feedback on here? <_<

[i][b]I[/b][/i] never said it was faulty - it was other self-appointed "experts" who did that. :unsure:

Please don't jump to conclusions without knowing the full story :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Not meant to offend Conan so sorry if you've taken it that way.

I have been following the thread so maybe I've misunderstood something.

My take was that you've said the amp distorts at any setting of the pre gain control. I've tested one and a brand new, perfect condition one does not distort in any way at low gain settings. You really have to push it very hard to distort.

From what I've read you haven't been able to try the amp into another cab other than your regular one? Maybe I've missed that bit somewhere.

If the amp distorts at low gain then there definitely is something wrong with it.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1426848350' post='2722587']From what I've read you haven't been able to try the amp into another cab other than your regular one?
[/quote]

Not yet. But it is on my "to-do" list :)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1426848603' post='2722596']

Not yet. But it is on my "to-do" list :)
[/quote]

Cool :)

I'm sure no-one here is trying to be confrontational or give bad advice. It's just that this amp shouldn't be distorting at such low gain settings so before you go through the hassle of selling it then it's definitely worth isolating whether the amp is at fault or if it's just a mis-match with your cab (which is rare but it can happen).

If the amp is faulty then you'd probably need to get it fixed before selling anyway. I can put you in touch with the UK Aguilar guys to see if they can help but the first question they will ask is whether you've tried it with another cab. I'd make that the main priority.

If it's really tough to test it as a standalone unit then you could possibly use the pre-amp only into another amp's power section and another amp's pre-amp into the Aggie power stage. That might show up if there's an issue in one or the other.

Slightly fiddly and needs a patch lead between send and return feeds on each amp. I know a couple of people who use a high end pre into the Aggie power section like this and it works really well.

once I get my act together and reply to Conan's PM then i'll be trying this amp out with my cabs, and we can have a go at trying the preamp through the power section of my F1 as well to see if that is the issue, there's one shop local that has the TH500 in stock and is un by friendly guy so a trip over there to A/B it with band new amp might be possible as well.

Mat

A little point Conan has highlighted for all of us here that use speakon only gear is to invest in a Jack to speakon lead, it would have enabled a test with other cabs here, it would allow the use of a speakon head with some one elses cabs on a shared stage setup or emergency etc, it would allow if reversed the use of a speakon cab with a borrowed head for shared gigs, rehearsal rooms or half way through a gig if your head blows up and a friendly bassist lends you an Ashdown or something. Don't leave home without one! :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1426858227' post='2722787']
A little point Conan has highlighted for all of us here that use speakon only gear is to invest in a Jack to speakon lead, it would have enabled a test with other cabs here, it would allow the use of a speakon head with some one elses cabs on a shared stage setup or emergency etc, it would allow if reversed the use of a speakon cab with a borrowed head for shared gigs, rehearsal rooms or half way through a gig if your head blows up and a friendly bassist lends you an Ashdown or something. Don't leave home without one! :)
[/quote]

Indeed! :) The bugger is that I actually own two such cables, but left them at home! :rolleyes: :D

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1426156123' post='2714948']
Having recently acquired one of these amps, I am happy with the "warmth" in the tone and the control over the midrange - both of these factors were important to me in choosing a new amp to replace my Hartke LH500 :)

However, I am having problems getting a truly clean (i.e. undistorted) sound from the amp. Even with the gain set on [i][b]zero[/b][/i] (and the drive fully off) there is some break-up! :huh:

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way around it?

There are no centre detents on the tone controls, but am I correct in assuming that they offer cut and boost, and therefore would be "flat" in the 12 o'clock position?

I'm confused... :mellow:
[/quote]

I went to my local PMT this morning to try out some aguilar gear cabs. I tried the DB 412 and DB410 cabs individually with DB751,TH500 & heads TH350. The guy set all the amps tones flat and I found I could not get a clean sound because of the same breakup of the signal as you describe. Even at low volumes there is an edge to it especially noticeable on the higher notes. My normal way of using my bass rack is to have the power amp on max and use a low input gain from my pre-amp and play lightly and that gives me lots of clean and loads of headroom which is what I want. But any setting I had the Aguilar gear to I was getting this breakup. I'm only curious about the cabs so I plan to take my own head down there this week and try out the cabs with my own amp setup which I know is clean so at least I can hear what the cabs sound like. I always thought aguilar was clean hifi gear.

My DB750 is a far better sound, IMO ( with valves in the pre ) than the TH500 and more pure but
I really wouldn't say the TH is distorted or has to be. It is a typical small
amp sound and can be pretty boxy or synthetic but I'd say that characteristic
is typical of that ilk. I'n not getting this distortion thing..??

Really surprised to hear this isn't a one off. Some sound clips and settings would be good if anyone is able to? My TH500 is clean until gain or drive hit 2 o'clock. It's never clinical sparkly clean, but isn't driven unless I want it to be.

Edited by M@23

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1426975166' post='2724414']
My DB750 is a far better sound, IMO ( with valves in the pre ) than the TH500 and more pure but
I really wouldn't say the TH is distorted or has to be. It is a typical small
amp sound and can be pretty boxy or synthetic but I'd say that characteristic
is typical of that ilk. I'n not getting this distortion thing..??
[/quote]

Comments like that do not help me trying to avoid buying a DB750 JT - already loving the TH500 and was hoping that was as good as it gets. Drat!!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1427046159' post='2725043']
Comments like that do not help me trying to avoid buying a DB750 JT - already loving the TH500 and was hoping that was as good as it gets. Drat!!
[/quote]

:lol: Lozz, I fired it up at home the other day so a very pertinent A/B with my TH500 and same cab. It is quite a world apart to my ears
but then I'm not the person to talk to when extolling the virtues of lightweight amps... I do find them boxy and sterile ( the ones I've tried )
...but... I totally get why you wouldn't want to lug a 60lb ?? 750 around.... and altho I haven't weighed it, it is as substantial lift
and whoever calls it 43lbs of the AG site must come from another planet.
With that in mind, I am glad I also have a TH500. As these go, they are good, just not the same as the real deal and don't
believe anyone who tries to tell they are close enough :lol:

I recently hired it out and tech'd it and it made sense of all the basses that used it... pretty flat on the dials and none of the basses
my sort of thing, but they sounded 'great' through it...

so yes, my treat.. !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But you wouldn't like it as it's heavy... that is your consoling fact :lol: ;)

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1426976066' post='2724431'] My TH500 is clean until gain or drive hit 2 o'clock. It's never clinical sparkly clean...
[/quote]

I think that's the problem. Some of us who come to the TH500 from very clean amps seem to find it "distorted".

Of course, there are many other variables (the main one being our ears!), but there are enough people saying this to make it pretty clear that my amp is probably not faulty but characteristic of the "TH500 sound". For some it works, for me (and clearly Jazzyvee too) it may not. Such is life.

What I am calling "distortion", some of you would no doubt describe as "warmth" or something else... it's all down to the words.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='MOSCOWBASS' timestamp='1427103531' post='2725679']
Reading all your comments here, have you tried and discounted the MB800?
[/quote]

I haven't. A few weeks ago, GK amps were definitely on my short list - but then (following a chat with a local BC member) a TC RH750 became available at an excellent price. It wasn't for me (too complicated!) but I traded it for my current TH500.

Part of the problem is that I don't have a lot of disposable cash to spend on an amp. The GK500 was within my budget, but I was advised that the Aggie was "better"...

This thread details some of my problems and decisions - http://basschat.co.uk/topic/255371-new-amp-dilemma/

I have never owned or even used a GK amp, so I am happy to try one, should one become available. Sadly I have neither the time nor the inclination to sit in a typical music shop and try lots of amps. Also, unless I could use them with my current cab, the experience would be rather pointless anyway!

Hopefully this week I will be trying a Markbass F1. I've never tried any MB gear either, so that should be interesting!

I'm starting to wish that I'd simply held on to my Hartke LH500! :rolleyes:

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1427109484' post='2725767']
I haven't. A few weeks ago, GK amps were definitely on my short list - but then (following a chat with a local BC member) a TC RH750 became available at an excellent price. It wasn't for me (too complicated!) but I traded it for my current TH500.

Part of the problem is that I don't have a lot of disposable cash to spend on an amp. The GK500 was within my budget, but I was advised that the Aggie was "better"...

This thread details some of my problems and decisions - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/255371-new-amp-dilemma/"]http://basschat.co.u...ew-amp-dilemma/[/url]

I have never owned or even used a GK amp, so I am happy to try one, should one become available. Sadly I have neither the time nor the inclination to sit in a typical music shop and try lots of amps. Also, unless I could use them with my current cab, the experience would be rather pointless anyway!

Hopefully this week I will be trying a Markbass F1. I've never tried any MB gear either, so that should be interesting!

I'm starting to wish that I'd simply held on to my Hartke LH500! :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I think you need to get out and try stuff and form your own opinions rather than read what other ppl say about certain things...for perspective..??
Your definition of 'distorted' which may mean 'warm' is puzzling.

Warm, drivey, grindey ( over driven ) distortion, fuzz is my take in that order..?? YMMV, of course.

[quote name='MOSCOWBASS' timestamp='1427118595' post='2725921']Still think you should put 500 watts at 8 ohms into your Big One, given my experience with BBt and BB2.
[/quote]

It's plenty loud enough as it is! :D My band is not particularly noisy, and my sound is not particularly bass-heavy. As a result, I'm not sure I need the extra power...

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1427120786' post='2725946'] It's plenty loud enough as it is! :D My band is not particularly noisy, and my sound is not particularly bass-heavy. As a result, I'm not sure I need the extra power... [/quote]
Yes, the reason i was saying this is from my experience with a TECAMP PUMA 1000. I could run 350 watts from one amp at 8 ohms or bridge it to 1000 watts at 8 ohms. At the same perceived output volume it felt so much nicer with the extra headroom. Look forward to your F1 thoughts :D

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1427119905' post='2725933']
I think you need to get out and try stuff and form your own opinions rather than read what other ppl say about certain things...for perspective..??
Your definition of 'distorted' which may mean 'warm' is puzzling. Warm, drivey, grindey ( over driven ) distortion, fuzz is my take in that order..?? YMMV, of course.
[/quote]

*sigh*

Yes, I know that. But I work full-time (usually more than "full-time" in fact) and have a family - so, much as I would like to, I just can't put the time in to try stuff out. So I ask for advice from people on here (and other resources) and try to sift through it all. Sometimes it is excellent and others less so. I accept that as a trade-off or compromise situation. :)

I am starting to realise that my preference for a pure, clean sound is maybe less common than I assumed. I am used to very low levels of distortion, and anything that adds even a small amount sounds (to my ears) to be unacceptably "different". It is very difficult to describe sound in words.

Edited by Conan