Why become a member? ×

Audition tomorrow after a year off !!

tonybassplayer

Put my playing on a back burner for a year and picked it up last night as I fancy doing a gig a month etc so meeting a band tomorrow looking for a bassist.

Never felt as ill prepared but going to have a good bash at it tonight and get half a dozen from their set sorted. Really looking forward to it.

More to being in a band than actually playing. Miss the craic and really looking forward to getting out in to the rehearsal room once a week again.

I don't like the feeling of being underprepared or under-cooked so
I'd tell them that you aren't at the level you were and it will take a few months
to get back to that... as long as you believe you can, that is,
and then just look to gell and communicate.

Good luck with it..

Best of British mate, I'd just echo what everyone else has said; tell them that you haven't played properly in a while and just concentrate on your timing. Everyone plays wrong notes once in a while, but there's no excuse for sloppy timing. ;)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1425208227' post='2704979']
I don't like the feeling of being underprepared or under-cooked so
I'd tell them that you aren't at the level you were and it will take a few months
to get back to that... as long as you believe you can, that is,
and then just look to gell and communicate.

Good luck with it..
[/quote]

I agree.

If I'm really interested in a band I will know the audition material inside out before I proceed. Sometimes the enthusiasm for wanting to be in a band trumps how well you you know the songs.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1425252134' post='2705654']
I agreed.

[b]If I'm really interested in a band I will know the audition material inside out [/b]before I proceed. Sometimes the enthusiasm for wanting to be in a band trumps how well you you know the songs.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Blue
[/quote]

See, now I wouldn't. I'd say I knew the song or had listened to it and would give my
'off the cuff take' to demonstrate that I was a pretty quick study and can get the job done
straight away so I wouldn't need 3 months of rehearsal to be up to speed.

I'd approach it from the view point that I am going to make the track sound good
straight away...as that is what a bass players does; knits everything together..
so I'd want to make it obvious to them that this is what I can do.

Gtrs might wait 3 months for a track to work, but bass players shouldn't..
Case in point... last night watching my mates bands and it was the 3rd time
I'd seen them and they were really starting to gel, especially the bass and drums.
My thoughts were, what took them so long. Why didn't the bass and drums have that
going on at the first gig 10 odd weeks ago... ?? it is not as though they played the
notes/songs any differently..???

Best of luck mate, if they've got anything about them they will be able to spot the difference between someone who is slightly rusty and someone who won't cut it at all. Nine songs sorted should be more than enough for an audition.

Went very well

Great bunch of guys, superb heated and fully equipped rehearsal room fifteen mins from the house and good players too

They liked what I did ( which was pretty basic but right for the songs ) so it looks like I am back in a band again

Looking for a drummer now but the lead guitarist has compiled really good drum tracks etc on his iPad so fine to keep rehearsals going till we find one

Nice to have a bit of musical focus again. So easy to let it slip when not gigging.

Just started playing in a band again after a 6 year layoff, first time playing bass again for about 20 years! Feels good to be the bassist again, though I'm incredibly rusty (thankfully, so's everyone else)! :D

Edited by Skybone