Why become a member? ×

Absolute Ebay insanity!

Bassassin

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260273828956"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=260273828956[/url]

So how much is that neckplate worth? Because the rest of the bass is a cheap plywood 70s copy - probably a Korean-made Satellite - with a crap headstock transfer & a Fender neckplate.

It's not even decent JapCrap!

Jon.

f***

very clever listing, im not sure if the title will mess him up as in the title he's actually said its a fender, but in the description he's just said its from 60's with fender on headstock

either way, someone is paying too much for this, reckon he's a con or not? if he is, its clever and its worked, lets hope the bidding doesnt get too high

Edited by BassManKev

Well, the pitch is Mum (who knows nothing about guitars) selling on behalf of her son. Could be genuine - but if the son's only had it since the 80s where does the "late 60s/early 70s" bit come from? Could well be a scam - in which case the supporting evidence - do-gooder Ebayer Ian, who confirms that the body, at least "is a genuine early seventies deluxe model" must be part of it.

Hard to guess which are shill bids these days, what with Ebay's bidding secrecy, buy for that piece of obvious plywood tat to have gone from a quid to over £200 & still have a week to run... :)

J.

look at the questions as well, someone has said its worth £1500, i think its gunna go for alot more :)

no point in reporting to ebay as theres nothing to report, its a perfectly legite sale, shes not said its a 60's fender, shes just hinted

Edited by BassManKev

As much as I admire the morals of those who wish to warn potential buyers and as much as it makes my blood boil to see cleverly worded auctions like this, we are not the eBay police and if someone wishes to pay a stupid amount of money for a piece of firewood without doing their homework first (like a visit to basschat) then so be it.....Caveat emptor

Edited by bassman2790

[quote]My son tells me there is part of a tuner missing, a knob and the cover plate above the bridge. (Whatever that might be!)[/quote]

"He also tells me it used to be owned by a Jaco Pastorius (Whoever he is)"
"It definitely was owned by Pastorius (at least the missing tuner was and is worth at least £10000)"
" Thanks Ian, I owe you a pint"
"No probs Dad.....Ohhhh bo**ocks"

:)

Edited by bassman2790

was the "JA ZZ BA SS" logo done using Letraset?

and what's that small jazz bass lettering doing at the top edge of the headstock too?

note where the string retainer is on that wide paddle headstock- when the strings are on (going through the Gibson-style nut) the D and G will be pushed sideways.

[quote name='bassman2790' post='262732' date='Aug 14 2008, 09:27 PM']As much as I admire the morals of those who wish to warn potential buyers and as much as it makes my blood boil to see cleverly worded auctions like this, we are not the eBay police and if someone wishes to pay a stupid amount of money for a piece of firewood without doing their homework first (like a visit to basschat) then so be it.....Caveat emptor[/quote]

+1.

Also, I don't think Ebay can be blamed for this, either. Is all the stock in a market vetted by trading standards before it goes on sale, for example?

[quote name='bassman2790' post='262732' date='Aug 14 2008, 09:27 PM']As much as I admire the morals of those who wish to warn potential buyers and as much as it makes my blood boil to see cleverly worded auctions like this, we are not the eBay police and if someone wishes to pay a stupid amount of money for a piece of firewood without doing their homework first (like a visit to basschat) then so be it.....Caveat emptor[/quote]

Reading what you've said and paraphrasing it in the meanest way for effect yields "I've got the knowledge but you don't, so your only option is to learn the hard way." I think not. I'm of the opinion that if I can help and it doesn't put me unreasonably and involuntarily out of my way then I'll help. It takes a few minutes of an evening to bash out a counterfeit report on eBay, message a seller telling them of the error in their ways or to warn a seller after the auction ends that they may well have purchased a lemon.

Turning a blind eye and scoffing is not the way forward. If I can try to stop someone getting ripped off and some oh-so-clever miscreant making a killing at someone else's expense then I will.

I have less sympathy for people who do not research what they are selling and end up getting less than the item might be worth. Caveat venditor!

"my son said he bought it off some guy he met on his travels in America, said his name was Jaco P?"

Clever advert, I guess there are several idiots bidding thinking "OMG this woman should have done her research, I'm gonna pick up a vintage Fender for a fraction of the cost, idiot!!"

[quote]Reading what you've said and paraphrasing it in the meanest way for effect yields "I've got the knowledge but you don't, so your only option is to learn the hard way." I think not. I'm of the opinion that if I can help and it doesn't put me unreasonably and involuntarily out of my way then I'll help. It takes a few minutes of an evening to bash out a counterfeit report on eBay, message a seller telling them of the error in their ways or to warn a seller after the auction ends that they may well have purchased a lemon.

Turning a blind eye and scoffing is not the way forward. If I can try to stop someone getting ripped off and some oh-so-clever miscreant making a killing at someone else's expense then I will.

I have less sympathy for people who do not research what they are selling and end up getting less than the item might be worth. Caveat venditor![/quote]

I'd go with that.

Peter

[quote name='neepheid' post='262933' date='Aug 15 2008, 09:28 AM']Reading what you've said and paraphrasing it in the meanest way for effect yields "I've got the knowledge but you don't, so your only option is to learn the hard way."[/quote]

If a bidder is prepared to lay down what is becoming serious money on a bass 'because it's one of them cool ones from the 70s', then they have a vague idea about what they're bidding on. It's not like they've hit BIN in a blind panic (in which case I'd have REAL sympathy). They've got time to think about it and do some research. Five minutes on Google should have them retracting their bid.

By all means, report it to eBay - If I have a chance I'll do the same. I'm not sure it'll get pulled, but I hope it does.

As an aside, I reckon it's being shilled. No-one is stupid enough to drop a decent bid something like that without research. Are they?

[quote name='joe_bass' post='262941' date='Aug 15 2008, 09:42 AM']Clever advert, I guess there are several idiots bidding thinking "OMG this woman should have done her research, I'm gonna pick up a vintage Fender for a fraction of the cost, idiot!!"[/quote]
That's [i]precisely[/i] why I have no sympathy for any idiots who might be placing genuine bids on this - I have no duty to protect greedy & ignorant opportunists from themselves. Yes - let them learn the hard way.

J.

i agree actually, its not like its a modern fender copy that people are mistaking for the real thing, its a vintage fender, the kinda people that would bid on something as beat up as this are bidding because they know something about vintage fender and their worth, and they are trying to get a bargain. pity they cant tell a real fender headstock from that horrible lump of wood at the end of that stick in that listing

[quote name='Bassassin' post='262983' date='Aug 15 2008, 11:37 AM']That's [i]precisely[/i] why I have no sympathy for any idiots who might be placing genuine bids on this - I have no duty to protect greedy & ignorant opportunists from themselves. Yes - let them learn the hard way.[/quote]

+1 on this.

The description etc is clearly trying to create a picture of some one wanting to get rid of some thing no longer used that they know nothing about, resulting in people jumping in ready to take advantage.

i reported her to ebay , and looks like the listing has been pulled, and she has been deleted from ebay; i was emailing her (him) asking about it n why her title says fender and she emailed me back a few times, latest email igot an email reply off her and then got an email off ebay saying dont reply to the email as it didnt come from ebay or sumit

con con con

Edited by BassManKev