Why become a member? ×

Setlist YES, playlist NO

anaxcrosswords

Out of a whole set, maybe one or two will be on a playlist.

Generally, I don't want to be playing what's on my playlists, iPod or whatever...partly because very few people would want to listen to it :D. But also, I don't want to get bored of the music I love, I don't want to be listening to it time and time again.

Well, I don't own an MP3 player in the first pace, but I don't understand the concept of playing my favourite songs in a band being a good thing.

The last thing I'd want is any band I'm in ruining my favourite songs with "their own arrangement", so I'm happy as long as I'm playing with good players and the set is played well. If those 2 points are satisfied I don't have to like the set list - but the audience does and IMO that's the only success criteria.

Our setlist is slowly changing to be more like my playlist as the band evolves naturally. We started as a pub rock band six yrs ago (easy way to get gigs) but we have grown and various members have left to be replaced with better players so our collective chops have improved. We no longer play pubs or much rock as we now do loads of Motown, pop and disco at weddings, parties and corporate gigs.

I play in an original metal band. My iPod houses a really broad spectrum of stuff from (quite literally) ABBA to Zappa, and has quite a few massive tangents along the way.

There's only two kinds of music; stuff you like and stuff you don't like. Everything else is just marketing.

I wouldn't be a band where I didn't love say 3/4 of the songs , but I would say that once you've learnt and gigged a song a few times most of them won't be something I'd listen to for pleasure anymore

I've leArnt not to suggest your all time favs for band songs

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1423639466' post='2687223']
I wouldn't be a band where I didn't love say 3/4 of the songs , but I would say that once you've learnt and gigged a song a few times most of them won't be something I'd listen to for pleasure anymore

I've leArnt not to suggest your all time favs for band songs
[/quote]

By the same token, I really like to hear the band on a good gig on playback, so I record quite a few gigs.
But yes, choosing a set list requires a lot of thought, IMO... and I groan at the apparent lack of it from some bands.

I always keep an iTunes playlist of whatever is in the current set plus any 'works in progress' so I can quickly get to them and jam along with them if I go a few weeks between gigs and need to sharpen up. I wouldn't particularly go out of my way to listen to most of the set for pleasure though. Never been in a band that had the required musicians to play a lot of the stuff I like and there wouldn't be much of an audience for it in any case, plus I probably couldn't play most of the basslines properly anyway!

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1423649171' post='2687348']
I always keep an iTunes playlist of whatever is in the current set plus any 'works in progress' so I can quickly get to them and jam along with them if I go a few weeks between gigs and need to sharpen up. I wouldn't particularly go out of my way to listen to most of the set for pleasure though. Never been in a band that had the required musicians to play a lot of the stuff I like and there wouldn't be much of an audience for it in any case, plus I probably couldn't play most of the basslines properly anyway!
[/quote]

This sums up my reality except the iTunes playlist is an album called 'Band Stuff'

My first band played all the stuff that we listened to - The Dregs, Zappa, The Clash and assorted originals, without a thought to the audience, we played two gigs the second with many more people attending than the first - many years and many bands later the first band had it right.

I missed rehearsals yesterday and just got a text saying the next song on our playlist will be "Knocking on Heavens Door", G&R version. So no, I my set list is no longer my playlist.

I think they're punishing me for not turning up. Surely this is against the Geneva convention?

Yep, we've had that...the keyboard player was always underprepared with song choices, due to familiy etc
and tbf, we were just glad to have him on board...but he did complain once or twice about our choices..
and we said he could always chip in :lol: but by the same token, he was stuck firmly in the 80's and
am I thankful we kept 'that' at bay so him going missing was quite a blessing :lol: :lol:

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1423654818' post='2687422']
I missed rehearsals yesterday and just got a text saying the next song on our playlist will be "Knocking on Heavens Door", G&R version. So no, I my set list is no longer my playlist.

I think they're punishing me for not turning up. Surely this is against the Geneva convention?
[/quote]

I missed a band practice one time back in the 70s and came to find out that I had been "fired" as the bass player and elected to front the band as the lead vocalist. lol

[quote name='dadofsix' timestamp='1423700026' post='2688191']
I missed a band practice one time back in the 70s and came to find out that I had been "fired" as the bass player and elected to front the band as the lead vocalist. lol
[/quote]

Aw, thats harsh!

Apparently I got off lightly. I understand they were gonna suggest Summer of '69.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1423728501' post='2688265']
Aw, thats harsh!

Apparently I got off lightly. I understand they were gonna suggest Summer of '69.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol:
But..the point is that too few bands give their set list and continuity and flow much thought at all, IMO

Set lists can be very unpredictable though. I can pick out songs X and Y and two gigs with an almost identical audience. At gig one, X will pack the dancefloor but work like a fire escape for gig two, other way round for song Y.
We try to put as much thought into it as possble, but in the end it might as well be guesswork.

Never had a formal set list in 2 yrs of gigging with current band. Singer has scrappy bit of dog eared A4 on top of his amp which he occasionally refers to and calls the numbers from it in any order he sees fit as we go along. I can see the advantage of flexibility and 'reading the crowd' but it also leads to unnecessary delays as well. I have tried to get them a bit sharper since I joined and I think I've been partly successful but one of these days when I've been through the intro to 'Stand By Me' for 16 bars more than necessary while he gets his act together I'll just signal to the drummer to wind it up and tell him 'Sorry, you've missed it - next!'

My band are all originals but I know from reading many cover/function band type setlists that there is maybe only one or two songs I wouldn't skip if they started playing.

Music I listen to tends to span quite a lot of genres but so much of the music that is commonly covered I can't stand to listen to. Nothing against people who play in covers bands (Chances are you're making money from music and I'm certainly not!).

I'll be honest I don't think I've ever been in a band where I'm truly into the music I'm playing, but the dynamic of playing with other people and collectively making something that people seem to like has made that music great to me and made me love it, if you get where I'm coming from.

So, yeah, to answer your question I guess it's a bit of both, but it would be primarily people based in terms of deciding whether I were to move on. You can always tell when a band has no chemistry and that takes a while to build, so I guess the question to ask is do you want to rebuild that with new people and do you think you're capable of it with the new lot? Also how much do you value just hanging out with your current band? Leaving my last band (despite being entirely on good terms - I moved away) genuinely felt like a break up!

TL;DR - I'd personally choose the people I'm playing with over the music :)

Edited by ashevans09