Why become a member? ×

ChangesTwoBowie - Set Evolution

[quote name='Mr Arkadin' timestamp='1438378182' post='2834181']
Stay is f***ing brilliant. I would pay to see you just to hear that, so keep it in the set. Now if you could pull off Sue (Or In A Season of Crime) I'd be mighty impressed (probably not a crowd-pleaser that one).
[/quote]
Very kind of you Mr.Arkadin. Stay is going to stay. We have had conversations around Sue, but as you say, it's not without its problems. I think the only bar to us giving it a go would be getting our collective heads around how we would do it, not if we would do it. We decided early on that we would try and throw a curve ball in each set we do. For this gig it was Dead Man Walking and we're working on the it's replacement. I don't think its Sue's turn just yet though.

[quote name='Mr Arkadin' timestamp='1438378182' post='2834181']
Stay is f***ing brilliant. I would pay to see you just to hear that, so keep it in the set. Now if you could pull off Sue (Or In A Season of Crime) I'd be mighty impressed (probably not a crowd-pleaser that one).
[/quote]

Yep great stuff Sir

• 2 weeks later...

Our web site has now been updated with some audio files.
Two more tracks from the same gig have been mixed, so as well as the aforementioned Stay, you should now be able to hear Ashes to Ashes and Rock'n'Roll Suicide.

Here's the link - http://www.changestwobowie.co.uk/sound.html

• 7 months later...

Well, it's been a while since this thread was started and the set continues to expand.

Last week was the first outing for six new songs, one of which I've uploaded a very rough first mix of to soundcloud [url="https://soundcloud.com/warren-byatt/cracked-actor-live-2416"]here[/url].

New addition to the band and playing to a sell out crowd in Saafend.

[quote name='andytoad' timestamp='1460204589' post='3023585']
Never really been a fan of Lets Dance, however, we covered it in a pub last week and it rocked!
[/quote]

+1

We covered this the week that he died, never played it before and unrehearsed, just all learnt it at home and nailed it on the night! It's now in the set virtually permanently! Always goes down well!

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1439762104' post='2845629']
Our web site has now been updated with some audio files.
Two more tracks from the same gig have been mixed, so as well as the aforementioned Stay, you should now be able to hear Ashes to Ashes and Rock'n'Roll Suicide.

Here's the link - http://www.changestwobowie.co.uk/sound.html
[/quote]

Most excellent!!!

[quote name='vbance' timestamp='1460206741' post='3023626']
so impressed with what i've heard and seen...have you given The Pretty Things Are Going To Hell a thought?
[/quote]
Thank you very much. We recorded the whole gig, so more will come out as it gets mixed properly. I thought Lazarus was particularly good.

The only song that we have ruled out thus far is The Laughing Gnome. So, Pretty Things is a possibility, as is Magic Dance and just about anything else really.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a little unsure about this song when it was suggested, probably more from the point of view that I wasn't very familiar with it I suppose.
We learnt it and gigged it for the very first time at Chinnery's earlier this month and I think it came out quite well.
No overdubs and live as it was heard on the night. Check it out [url="https://soundcloud.com/warren-byatt/what-in-the-world-final-mix"]here[/url].

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker

• 3 months later...

In an attempt to balance out the general negativity of the Bowie Proms thread, I thought I would update this one.

We played The Bassment, Chelmsford last Friday (29/7) which was incredibly only our fourth gig in almost two years; but what an atmosphere. I haven't enjoyed a gig so much in a long, long time. The ceilings are so low there that I couldn't wear my hat - and I'm not a tall guy! Sadly we didn't record the gig as we usually do, but our fans did capture a surprisingly large amount of the show on their mobiles.

Here is a little gem that I had forgotten we'd had back from final mixing of the April gig at Chinnery's, Southend on 2/4 this year. It's the opening track from the Reality album called [url="https://soundcloud.com/warren-byatt/new-killer-star-final-mix"]New Killer Star[/url]. It really is an absolute joy to play. Simple, effective and also gives me enough space to sit back and enjoy some of the wonderful sounds coming from our guitarists. I hope you enjoy.

Back on topic, the set is ever expanding and we have nearly covered every album by at least one track. I think the exceptions are Pin-Ups and Diamond Dogs. There may be one other album which escapes me at the moment. Our next gig is in November and we will be using the time from now to learn another 7-8 songs.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1470097464' post='3103289']
Our next gig is in November and we will be using the time from now to learn another 7-8 songs.
[/quote]

Your could always add some of his collaborations to your set, just to mix things up a bit; how about "Under Pressure" or "Without You I'm Nothing"?

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1470100014' post='3103293']
Your could always add some of his collaborations to your set, just to mix things up a bit; how about "Under Pressure" or "Without You I'm Nothing"?
[/quote]

We have done Under Pressure already and it will continue to be in the set for as long as we can convince the wonderful Natalie to come along and sing it with us....

https://www.facebook.com/tony.perry.351/posts/10153809579622157

Nothing else has been excluded thus far other than the previously mentioned The Laughing Gnome and African Night Flight.

Without You is a distinct possibility, but there are couple of standards and a few guilty pleasures that may have to be addressed first.

I think it's good that you were initially mostly focussed on material from one era, that's better than spamming the decades IMO.

Have you thought of going further and doing the whole of Spiders, or Hunky Dory or Aladdin Sane? They each hang together so well and each makes pretty much a complete set ?

LD

Edited by luckydog

[quote name='luckydog' timestamp='1470129355' post='3103377']
I think it's good that you were initially mostly focussed on material from one era, that's better than spamming the decades IMO.

Have you thought of going further and doing the whole of Spiders, or Hunky Dory or Aladdin Sane? They each hang together so well and each makes pretty much a complete set ?

LD
[/quote]

Our sets have been weighted more to earlier material, but as mentioned before, we do have something from almost every album now.

We have discussed doing a whole album, but Ziggy seems almost too obvious. We were thinking about doing Station To Station, but then Earl Slick went and did it earlier this year.

We've spoken about doing maybe Low or Heathen. We have a meeting coming up soon. Who knows what will come out of that!

• 5 months later...

Here's another live track from Chinnery's, Southend in November 2016.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/warren-byatt/fame-live"][color=#ff0000][size=6]F[/size][/color][color=#0000ff][size=6]A[/size][/color][color=#ee82ee][size=6]M[/size][/color][color=#000000][size=6]E[/size][/color][/url]

• 5 months later...

Just for a bit of fun, we've added a poll to the front page of our web site. We usually learn songs in batches of six (i.e. one choice each), but we're a bit pushed for time before the next gig, so have agreed we will do three. But which three?

We've all chosen one each. All you have to do is go to our [url="http://www.changestwobowie.co.uk"]homepage[/url] and vote for one song. We will learn the three that get the most votes. Closing date 31/7/17.

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1499731009' post='3333239']
Ashes to Ashes,
but,,,, only this version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNqo0kIR-TU
[/quote]

That is exactly the version we do. I'm sure I have a recording somewhere of us doing it.
As my previous post says, it needs to be one of the songs shown on our homepage though 👍

Late to the party but... Here’s the “official” answer to your question… ;) Based on the UK charts website database.

David Bowie's Official Top 40 Biggest Selling Downloads
1 LIFE ON MARS
2 UNDER PRESSURE (WITH QUEEN)
3 HEROES
4 LET'S DANCE
5 SPACE ODDITY
6 STARMAN
7 CHANGES
8 ASHES TO ASHES
9 WHERE ARE WE NOW
10 REBEL REBEL
11 PEACE ON EARTH/LITTLE DRUMMER BOY
12 MODERN LOVE
13 CHINA GIRL
14 THE JEAN GENIE
15 SOUND AND VISION
16 ZIGGY STARDUST
17 ALL THE YOUNG DUDES
18 DANCING IN THE STREET (WITH MICK JAGGER)
19 MAGIC DANCE E.P.
20 ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS
21 THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD
22 GOLDEN YEARS
23 YOUNG AMERICANS
24 OH YOU PRETTY THINGS
25 QUEEN BITCH
26 SUFFRAGETTE CITY
27 FASHION
28 SORROW
29 THE LAUGHING GNOME
30 CAT PEOPLE (PUTTING OUT FIRE)

However, given the tracks at 11, 18, 19, and 29 I reckon you could add in TVC15, Fame, Diamond Dogs and Rock ‘n’ Roll Suicide and John I’m Only Dancing instead… As a “Greatest Hits package” that’s not a bad set list… Lots of crowd pleasers to choose from and a few for the aficianados too!!

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1499771956' post='3333458']
Late to the party but... Here's the "official" answer to your question… ;) Based on the UK charts website database.

David Bowie's Official Top 40 Biggest Selling Downloads
1 LIFE ON MARS
2 UNDER PRESSURE (WITH QUEEN)
3 HEROES
4 LET'S DANCE
5 SPACE ODDITY
6 STARMAN
7 CHANGES
8 ASHES TO ASHES
9 WHERE ARE WE NOW
10 REBEL REBEL
11 PEACE ON EARTH/LITTLE DRUMMER BOY
12 MODERN LOVE
13 CHINA GIRL
14 THE JEAN GENIE
15 SOUND AND VISION
16 ZIGGY STARDUST
17 ALL THE YOUNG DUDES
18 DANCING IN THE STREET (WITH MICK JAGGER)
19 MAGIC DANCE E.P.
20 ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS
21 THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD
22 GOLDEN YEARS
23 YOUNG AMERICANS
24 OH YOU PRETTY THINGS
25 QUEEN BITCH
26 SUFFRAGETTE CITY
27 FASHION
28 SORROW
29 THE LAUGHING GNOME
30 CAT PEOPLE (PUTTING OUT FIRE)

However, given the tracks at 11, 18, 19, and 29 I reckon you could add in TVC15, Fame, Diamond Dogs and Rock 'n' Roll Suicide and John I'm Only Dancing instead… As a "Greatest Hits package" that's not a bad set list… Lots of crowd pleasers to choose from and a few for the aficianados too!!
[/quote]

It makes a good set for sure, but still no Moonage Daydream, Five Years, Rock & Roll Suicide and the list goes on. You have mix the classics with the hits, but we do like to visit some of the less obvious album material as well.

Have you done the click on our front page Trevor? Things are very close for 3rd place at the moment :)