Why become a member? ×

ChangesTwoBowie - Set Evolution

12 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

'Slip Away'..? We were thinking of trying it out ourselves, but 'It ain't easy'..! B|

We've only done 'Afraid' from that album. Our singer really wants to do '5:15 The Angles Have Gone' and 'Everyone Says Hi'.

Part of the beauty of being in a Bowie tribute is that you can be a little 'elastic' in your approach to certain tunes. That's exactly what he would have done.

'Slip Away' is a lovely song. I'm listening to it now ☺️

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 1

When I Live My Dream

Love You Till Tuesday

Shapes of Things

Here Comes the Night

Width of a Circle

Memory of a Free Festival....(Something a little more acoustic)

Janine

Wild Eyed Boy from FreeCloud

Laughing Gnome

The Prettiest Star

R&R with Me

Where Are We Now

You got me into looking at Bowie songs again and wee bit lost in the moment so some of these might already be in the set list already.

Probably some of my fav not so well played songs from Bowie. I'm more a fan of his earlier work up to and including Station to Station. After that it was only occasional songs i liked up to Blackstar.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Thanks @dmccombe7. I know one of the guitarists definitely wants to do Width Of a Circle and I think those last four songs are very good calls. The Laughing Gnome won’t be happening, although we will be doing Magic Dance at some point, just not this year. Sounds like you did what I did. I sit down to sort out some ideas and just end up listening to hours and hours of Bowie. I logged into Spotify last night and found another new gig from Paris in 1999. That was another hour and quarter gone just like that. That was the first time he played ‘Something in The Air’ and also did a great version of ‘It Can’t Read’. Just so much great stuff to choose from.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Thanks @dmccombe7. I know one of the guitarists definitely wants to do Width Of a Circle and I think those last four songs are very good calls. The Laughing Gnome won’t be happening, although we will be doing Magic Dance at some point, just not this year. Sounds like you did what I did. I sit down to sort out some ideas and just end up listening to hours and hours of Bowie. I logged into Spotify last night and found another new gig from Paris in 1999. That was another hour and quarter gone just like that. That was the first time he played ‘Something in The Air’ and also did a great version of ‘It Can’t Read’. Just so much great stuff to choose from.

I love Bowie and try to see a.n.other Bowie tribute every year they come to Scotland. I'm still waiting on you guys coming up here too so come on extract the digit and make the effort............PLEASE. :laugh1:

I had never heard Slip Away to be honest till it was mentioned here and really enjoyed it. I tend to get lost in Bowie once i start. His back catalogue is tremendous and so much to listen to.

Anyway !!!!! what's wrong with The Laughing Gnome ? Its a brilliant comical wee song and also very popular with Bowie fans.

There are probably several others i would love to hear a Bowie tribute play but i'd be here all day listing them.

Have to say your existing set list covers most of what i'd be happy listening to. 

Have you tried doing what some tribute acts do successfully and cover a full album either in first set or 2nd set and vary the other set. Aladdin Sane would be my choice album of course. Or cover the Live Ziggy album would be interesting. 

As a 70's Glam Rock covers band we cover Jean Genie, Rebel Rebel, Ziggy Stardust and considering Hang on to Yourself

Anyway i'm sure you have already considered or already done these things so i'll head off now and listen to some more Bowie.

Dave

• Like 2

On 15/08/2020 at 00:28, Dad3353 said:

'Slip Away'..? We were thinking of trying it out ourselves, but 'It ain't easy'..! B|

We do 'Slip Away', it's a fabulous song. It took us a bit of time to get the groove right and it's much better now we have a sax player (most songs are tbh - especially 'Soul Love')

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Have you tried doing what some tribute acts do successfully and cover a full album either in first set or 2nd set and vary the other set. Aladdin Sane would be my choice album of course. Or cover the Live Ziggy album would be interesting. 

We did the whole of the Ziggy Stardust album, in the correct order once as a first set. It worked really well and we'll do it again when (if) we start gigging again

• Like 1

On 15/08/2020 at 09:54, dmccombe7 said:

Anyway !!!!! what's wrong with The Laughing Gnome ? Its a brilliant comical wee song and also very popular with Bowie fans.

We've done Laughing Gnome a couple of times by request. You're right, fans love it - we're not keen

He was a big fan of Anthony Newley at the time so he wrote Gnome in that style trying to become famous.

• Like 1

On 15/08/2020 at 00:21, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Given our current repertoire, what new Bowie songs do you think we should add?

(Excuse the duplicates. They are alternate versions we work from in my playlist).

Give Valentine's Day a try. We love it and it's become our favourite warm up/warm down/play it whenever song.

Phil

When Bowie was going to do the Sound & Vision tour he was going to invite fans to submit requests for songs to form the set - essentially it was going to be his version of a greatest hits tour.

This being 1990 he wasn’t viewed with much love from certain parts of the music press at the time so the NME decided it would attempt to rig the vote with endless requests for the Laughing Gnome, in an attempt to demean his back catalogue - “yeah, let’s forget his output from ‘71 to ‘80, but focus on one novelty song he had in 1967... that’ll show him!!”.

Bowie being Bowie suggested that if this were to happen then no problem, he’d simply reimagine the song in the style of the Stooges or VU. I always thought that would have been a brilliant outcome!

Mr Hackenbacker, do you incorporate any of Herbie Flowers lines from David Live into your set? His playing on that album is wonderful, and his bass interpretation on Width of a Circle is still one of my faves.

I love Bowie and try to see a.n.other Bowie tribute every year they come to Scotland. I'm still waiting on you guys coming up here too so come on extract the digit and make the effort............PLEASE. :laugh1:

I had never heard Slip Away to be honest till it was mentioned here and really enjoyed it. I tend to get lost in Bowie once i start. His back catalogue is tremendous and so much to listen to.

There are probably several others i would love to hear a Bowie tribute play but i'd be here all day listing them.

Have to say your existing set list covers most of what i'd be happy listening to. 

As a 70's Glam Rock covers band we cover Jean Genie, Rebel Rebel, Ziggy Stardust and considering Hang on to Yourself

Anyway i'm sure you have already considered or already done these things so i'll head off now and listen to some more Bowie.

Dave

You’re still on our list of places to get to if we can 👍.

I will mention The Laughing Gnome. Again 😀.

We were asked to do the whole of Diamond Dogs for a large event that never came off unfortunately. It was cancelled before we started working on the music. The album we are closest to pulling off is Station to Station. The only ones we haven’t done are Word on a Wing and TVC15.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

Mr Hackenbacker, do you incorporate any of Herbie Flowers lines from David Live into your set? His playing on that album is wonderful, and his bass interpretation on Width of a Circle is still one of my faves.

My lines are a bit of a hybrid of everything to be honest. ‘David Live’ is a great album and I can see us doing Width of a Circle at some point. Our guitarist loves that one.

If doing an album suggestion it would have to be Aladdin Sane, but Diamond Dogs would be nice to hear in its entirety too.

Or Ziggy, Hunky Dory, Space Oddity, Young Americans or even Station To Station. 

Here's a thought .........do the David Live album ........live. Its an album i don't actually have so gonna check out Amazon right now.

So many choices, so many options.

Dave