Why become a member? ×

Herbie Flowers does a quiz show

spectoremg

It's the 1980's and it's some kind of challenge quiz show on ITV. There's a chap on it who states that whilst blindfolded he can tell one bass from another. Enter Herbie Flowers to an array of about a dozen basses. The challenge commences and Herbie promptly picks his first instrument and cracks on. Around 5 basses in the blindfolded guy has crashed and burned - hasn't given one correct answer and the challenge is abandoned amidst some embarrassment.
Honest, I'm not bonkers, I didn't dream it, it really happened. My doc says if someone else can back this up they'll let me out.

Yes, I remember it well; Bruce Forsyth's 'You bet'. I also thought I'd dreamt it until I encountered another bassist that recalled it, a real cringe.
I'm a big fan of Herbie Flowers, one of my favourite players, but it was really odd hearing him on contemporary late '80s bass gear; it didn't suit his playing at all, unlike the Jazz bass he has used all his career that sounds great to my ears.
It proved that some basses and amps just don't work for some players, don't chop and change gear too much. A parable I've only started following sadly too late!
Martin

I saw it, I even posted the same question on here once. It was a Saturday nightmid 80s and the program was the one where contestants had to complete some sort of challenge i think, it wasnt Bruce Forsythe.

The guy worked in a music shop somewhere in London iirc

Dont remember Herbie Flowers being in it though.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

It was called You Bet and I think the host I'm told was Matthew Kelly (though I thought it was Brucie also). The guy bet he could tell a number of basses blind fold as he worked in a music shop where people were forever trying out basses. I remember Herbie Flowers' played a bit of fingerstyle and then a bit of pop and slap (with his fingers). Poor chap thought every one was a Steinburger - I recall I hadn't heard of any of the makes used either and didn't really blame him for getting them wrong - the playing was also ...... well a little strange. Altogether quite bizarre but then again so were quite a lot of the challenges. I recall the guy doing a different challenge he was pitted against got all of his guesses R ight so the bass guesser was defeated after two or three efforts! Shame as Herbie had about ten basses to play!!

I mentioned this matter on here once before and someone named the guy and the shop he worked in!!!

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1422305525' post='2671008']
There's a clip on youtube of a dutch guy doing something very similar. I can't find it though.
[/quote]

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNJkDrj0bTw"]http://www.youtube....h?v=dNJkDrj0bTw[/url]

Edited by wombatboter

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1422442738' post='2672621']
just done a quick google, John Gold used to run the shop. Works for Fender Europe now (So it says on the forum I've just found this info)
[/quote]

I believe it was him! One of the members here put him in the frame last time this subject was discussed.

Caught a few repeats of You Bet on a quiet Sunday afternoon not so long ago, they had a fella identifying the brand/model of mattress by lying on them blindfolded and a kid identifying car wheel trims. As far as I recall they both did very badly.

What really troubles me is thinking about how bored I must have been to lie their and watch two whole episodes of it :lol: