Why become a member? ×

Steve Harris Sig 2015

epic576

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Greetings,[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]This could be a stupid question but does anyone have an idea why Fender have gone without the vintage tint on the fretboard for Arry's new sig? As the original bass has always been the late 70's just refinished a number of times, it would make sense to keep the tinted neck.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Thoughts?[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Cheers[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]AJ[/font][/color]

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1422014770' post='2667729']
I appreciate that most global buyers won't care what footy team logo is on it, but surely the market is limited in the UK / EU for that?

It would look pretty good without the logo.
[/quote]

I'm a Newcastle supporter, but that bass is just SO iconic for many who have grown old with 'ARRY. I was 20 when I first saw them, 36 years ago.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1422015878' post='2667749']
It definitely would look better with a tinted fretboard and no West Ham logo.

I wonder if there's any difference between the Seymour Duncan SPB-1 and the Steve Harris pickup...
[/quote]

SPB-1 is more "classic" voice but hotter with a firmer mid range, rounded off/tighter bass and more clank. Also I think notably hotter to compensate for his light attack.

Never got why everyone went straight to the SPB-3 for Harris tones, the SPB-1 is more 'Arry!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1422014770' post='2667729']
I appreciate that most global buyers won't care what footy team logo is on it, but surely the market is limited in the UK / EU for that?

It would look pretty good without the logo.
[/quote]
+1

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1422014900' post='2667731']
I'm a Newcastle supporter, but that bass is just SO iconic for many who have grown old with 'ARRY. I was 20 when I first saw them, 36 years ago.
[/quote]

The very first album I bought was Live After Death. I bought it in 1986 I think.

So for me, 'Arry's bass must be blue sparkle!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1422018941' post='2667798']

The very first album I bought was Live After Death. I bought it in 1986 I think.

So for me, 'Arry's bass must be blue sparkle!
[/quote]

I'm currently lazing on the sofa, Live After Death DVD is on and my blue sparkle SH P is watching with me.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1422015878' post='2667749']
It definitely would look better with a tinted fretboard and no West Ham logo.

I wonder if there's any difference between the Seymour Duncan SPB-1 and the Steve Harris pickup...
[/quote]

But if it didn`t have the West Ham logo, what would be the point? I would gig one and I`m a Man United fan. :D[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1422033965' post='2668069']

But if it didn`t have the West Ham logo, what would be the point? I would gig one and I`m a Man United fan. :D[size=4] [/size]
[/quote]
If you're a Man Utd fan I suspect you live in Guildford 😜
Any good gigs in Surrey😝
I'll get my coat!!!

Following is an email response to my question to Fender.................

Hey Karl,

With these having just been released at NAMM this week, it will be a minute before we get any out!

Currently, we're in the building process and depending on whether your dealer has already placed a pre order will give you a good idea when they'll reach across the pond. I'd say expect them around April/May!

These will have a street price of $999.99 USD or $666.92 (fitting, no?) British Sterling.

I was super excited myself when I saw these in R&D - we've been wanting to do this bass for quite a while, just getting the right trademark releases and whatnot is what held it up.

Up the irons!

Cheers,

Bryce Wells
Consumer Relations Representative

The "£666" price tag suggests it'll be a MIM bass which isn't a problem to me.

Being a Leeds United fan through and through, i'm really tested on whether or not I'll buy this. I have the 2010 blue sparkle MIJ one which is a beauty of a bass and without doubt the best P bass I've ever played (especially since I changed the tuners to the proper ones and changed the pick up to 'Arry's signature duncan model) so i'll definitely have to try this out and see how it feels.

might just buy one to have as a collectors piece being as Maiden are my favourite band and that 'Arry is my biggest influence. Would definitely change the bridge to a proper Badass II bridge though, can't have that Fender stamped thingy on it :P

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1422098672' post='2668642']
I assume the issues mentioned in the email refer to the west ham logo, since they already have all the other parts included on the other sig models already released.
That being so, I would assume it's sealed onto the bass
[/quote]

In my old job we worked with the Manchester City superstore to create a MCFC Strat copy made by Farida, took a while to sort the licensing out even with their involvement.

The plan was then to approach Manchester United, was like running headlong at a brick wall.

The 'premier league guitar series' died on its arse soon after.

Edited by AndyTravis