Why become a member? ×

How Do You Treat Your Bands Fans

blue

My band provides and plays a genre that's slowly on it's way out. We play 70s style hard rock and blues, think Cream, Mountain, Green, Mayall, along with catchy classic covers with a hard rock twist. It's a tough market but we do well. 70 shows last year. The band has been in business for over 8 years, I've been with them for 3 years playing bass guitar and providing back ground vocals.

Keep in mind we have a 29 year old female front, playing lead guitar and singing lead vocals. The rest of us are in our 60s.

We pick up new fans slowly but surely. I noticed this couple at a Friday night gig that stayed for the whole 4 hour bar gig, that's really unusual. I saw the same couple the following Saturday and they stayed the entire night again.

At the end of our 3rd set at the end of the night I went down and introduced myself and thanked them for coming and purchased a round for them. I also asked them why they had an interest in the band. Their response, they like 70s rock and love seeing bands that actually play instrument without technology.

What do you guys do when you notice the more than above average fan?

By the way, I got a nice joke out of our discussion to bant in between songs.

[i]"You might have noticed that we don't play to any sort of loop or anything computer generated. All are mistakes are real. :D" [/i]

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1421877141' post='2666207']
My band provides and plays a genre that's slowly on it's way out. We play 70s style hard rock and blues, think Cream, Mountain, Green, Mayall, along with catchy classic covers with a hard rock twist.
[/quote]

Is it really on the way out where you are? I would consider that fairly normal fare where I am

Fans? That would be a novelty!

Seriously, when someone comes up and compliments me on my band's performance, I always take the time to thank them and chat with them about what they like. Of course it is polite to do so, but it is also a source of valuable feedback on what is good about what we do and how we do it.

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1421877306' post='2666209']
Hey Blue,

I like the way you treated those fans....that's very classy to buy them a round.

We're always civil and friendly and interested to chat with anyone interested in what we're doing.
[/quote]

You bet, and I like the way you phrased it. For all of out there working, we thank our lucky stars that there are people interested.

Blue

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1421877448' post='2666212']
Is it really on the way out where you are? I would consider that fairly normal fare where I am
[/quote]

Not here, Milwaukee is now Katy Perry & Bruno Mars land.

It's why I wish we could do a 6 week bar tour where you are.

Blue

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1421878177' post='2666227']
Fans? That would be a novelty!

Seriously, when someone comes up and compliments me on my band's performance, I always take the time to thank them and chat with them about what they like. Of course it is polite to do so, but it is also a source of valuable feedback on what is good about what we do and how we do it.
[/quote]

Agreed, I say if your not interested in why people come back to see your band, your in the wrong business.

Blue

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1421879488' post='2666267']
The drummer for one of my bands has taken being friendly with fans to another level – he has just left his missus to shack up with one…!
[/quote]

So... friends with 'benefits' eh?

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1421879488' post='2666267']
The drummer for one of my bands has taken being friendly with fans to another level – he has just left his missus to shack up with one…!
[/quote]

Just picked up sticks and left, eh..? He must be on a roll. :mellow:[size=4] [/size]

If they are pretty, they get 'special' treatment... :lol:
Seriously, repsond to FB likes and comments so you are on a bit of a
personal level already, and if you see a few regulars, then make sure the
band get out there and chat... and don't all sit down together during the breaks
straight away. Get out and mingle.. and talk to the regulars and then take an opportunity
to talk to anyone else. Basically, be open to chat to anyone.
I don't think this need be a contrived thing... but being seen chatting might encourage
more to come up and talk.
I generally find I can't get round to talk to all I'd want to.. but then I talk too much anyway.. :lol:
I'll always talk to the booker/host..if poss.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1421877448' post='2666212']
[/quote]

Not quite the norm where I am... that is classic 80's, but there would/should be more interest in the bar/club type gigs than
Bruno etc etc ..
Those type of 'fans' only get out for the large beer fests as they are more at home in the clubs/disco's...

But thanks, Blue, another thoughtful thread.

The attendence dynamic is always fascinating. I am always amzed at the local scene and why certain bands are 'popular'..

After a gig in London one time, I had someone come over and compliment the band and ask about my bass, and I was more than happy to waffle on about gear and stuff as always. Had a nice chat, they were lovely.

I found out afterwards they were the bass player in a pretty well known band, I even have one of their albums on my phone, I just didn't recognise them at the time :)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1421921145' post='2666527']
Maybe they play Rush covers... :D
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: no, they wouldn't dare, but some of them get pretty proggy and wonder why it doesn't work.
And I say that from the POV that even one or two of the band members of one band wonder wtf is going on with the gtr and keys
going off on one.
Funnily, I was told..in all seriousness, that they regard themselves as the best band in the county...
I think they have been taking too much 'local product' ... :lol: :lol: as they wouldn't even be amongst the best band in town.

We always try to find time to chat to people between sets, and afterwards if there is time, though usually the venue wants us to break the gear down and move out sharpish. We usually get one or two Babe Ruth fans coming along who are usually a bit star struck and ask me if it we would mind if they spoke to Jenny, but she loves to chat with her fans, sign their albums, etc.

I draw the line at buying food and drinks for the fans, though there are some exceptions, a lovely couple of 20 something girls who often come to see us. I buy them drinks and they say 'thanks, dad.' :)

I'm in a pub covers band that also do a few parties and weddings so we don't really do 'fans'. A few might come to see us at different venues but most of our work comes from playing the same 2 or 3 venues very regularly so it's difficult to assess. I expect mostly they are there at that venue week in week out to see some live music irrespective of who is playing. We still get to chat with them and we pick up wedding or party bookings based on what they see in the pub gigs. But we are under no pretence that they are 'our fans'.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1421878625' post='2666244']

we thank our lucky stars that there are people interested.

Blue
[/quote]

+1 to that!
We discount tickets to any "bigger" gigs that we get & give cds away, chat happily to anybody who are interested. I'm always last to pack up my gear due to post gig adrenaline wobbly gob to anyone within range!

[quote name='Norm' timestamp='1421925948' post='2666607']
+1 to that!
We discount tickets to any "bigger" gigs that we get & give cds away, chat happily to anybody who are interested. I'm always last to pack up my gear due to post gig adrenaline wobbly gob to anyone within range!
[/quote]

One of the reasons why I resent carrying the band P.A..I don't get enough time to chat ..

Being an originals band, and mostly playing on the same bill as named bands, we see many of the same faces at different gigs, but it`s difficult to tell if they are specifically fans of our band, or that of the named bands. Unless they buy the CDs of course, then we try and make a rapport with them. But the main thing is, we`re on chatting terms with many as we`re also fans of the bands we play with, just like they are.