Why become a member? ×

New Bass & Amp Day

luckman67

[color=#141414][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
[indent]Around noon today the UK mail van dropped off my "New" bass & amp at my office. The bass is a 2014 American Standard Precision in Olympic white with a maple neck, and custom shop pickups and a Fender Rumble 200 bass combo. This is my first American Fender & I can't get over how light it is, & the quality & fit is excellent.
The Rumble also is a great piece of kit again so light, but sounds good (I have always liked 15" speakers) and I liked the vintage push switch. Only took a couple of pictures with my phone at work, want to get back and carry on playing my new toy . [url="https://static.talkbass.com/data/attachment-files/2015/01/1502361_acc67b2522abd3f2d824c8a165f0ff28.jpg"][/url] [url="https://static.talkbass.com/data/attachment-files/2015/01/1502362_32f6eb93017807ff8886bd7a5391b86a.jpg"][/url]
[/indent][/size][/font][/color][color=#141414][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]

[color=#174D93][url="http://www.talkbass.com/members/shawn-luckman.111807/"]Shawn[/url][/color][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1421274164' post='2659390']
Well that's you set for life. No need to even think about acquiring more bass kit, oh no indeed!
[/quote]
Yes it's looking that way now 1 pickup & 1 volume & tone suits me fine.
[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1421274654' post='2659397']
But what was in the third package?! B)
[/quote]
A Hercules guitar stand I've always liked the look of these.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1421280379' post='2659484']
Quality, but simple set-up there. The Rumble amps are great, really nice rich, warm tone to them and difficult - imo - to beat a US Precision.
[/quote] That was one of the main reasons I chose both of them,plus the weight of the amp was a deal breaker for me :D .
[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1421281542' post='2659499']
Congratulations. Beautiful bass in a beautiful colour.
[/quote] Thanks I saw a youtube video of a 1966 precision in the same colour, though his had gone more yellowish and I thought that's for me.

A solid state amp and fifteen inch speaker is still my favourite combination too, the science and my ears disagree sometimes :)

I think the USA standard fenders are better than some people realise, I'm very happy with mine and the others in two different shops had no issues either.

Enjoy and I've got white bass gas again now, thanks! :D

[quote name='howdenspur' timestamp='1421326547' post='2659846']
Y'know, I think you've got the complete set there... :)
[/quote]
That's what I'm going for now just a one bass & amp setup. I have lost so much money at times flipping basses & chasing different sounds, 5 string, headless, active, fretless etc. Now I just want a passive 4 string bass & you can't really go wrong with a Precision, a decent amp and hopefully after 27 years break my GAS habit. And save my money for other things in life B) .

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1421312620' post='2659602']
A solid state amp and fifteen inch speaker is still my favourite combination too, the science and my ears disagree sometimes :)

I think the USA standard fenders are better than some people realise, I'm very happy with mine and the others in two different shops had no issues either.

Enjoy and I've got white bass gas again now, thanks! :D
[/quote]

I bought some Aguilar hum cancelling pickups and installed them in my 2013 4-string US Standard Fender Jazz . They were very good pickups but the custom shop Fender pickups are actually superb themselves and I underestimated them so I took the Aguilar's out again and stored them. That's the one potential drawback, depending on your personal opinion, with your 5-string US Standard Fender Jazz dude. The pickups are great but they're not the CS model versions. A bit naughty from Fender in my opinion.

And I think I'm going to buy the same model Fender Jazz you've got now, but I might get it in olympic white :)

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1421327797' post='2659872']

I bought some Aguilar hum cancelling pickups and installed them in my 2013 4-string US Standard Fender Jazz . They were very good pickups but the custom shop Fender pickups are actually superb themselves and I underestimated them so I took the Aguilar's out again and stored them. That's the one potential drawback, depending on your personal opinion, with your 5-string US Standard Fender Jazz dude. The pickups are great but they're not the CS model versions. A bit naughty from Fender in my opinion.

And I think I'm going to buy the same model Fender Jazz you've got now, but I might get it in olympic white :)
[/quote]
I wanted white! I've heard mixed reviews of the cs jazz pickups tbh and swapping the pups would be easier than trying to add a B string later :D

I bought one the same a few months back, and can't fault it. In fact, I've never played a bad US Standard Fender.

Something about a white P and tort. Always wanted one myself, and it doesn't disappoint.

Quite tempted by the 1 bass thing - did it for a white until the GAS crept back in.....if your going to mono-bass, I think the P is maybe the one to do it. Or the Jazz. Or the....... :D

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1421342783' post='2660188']
I bought one the same a few months back, and can't fault it. In fact, I've never played a bad US Standard Fender.

Something about a white P and tort. Always wanted one myself, and it doesn't disappoint.

Quite tempted by the 1 bass thing - did it for a white until the GAS crept back in.....if your going to mono-bass, I think the P is maybe the one to do it. Or the Jazz. Or the....... :D
[/quote] I have been lucky to own various brands including Rickenbacker & Musicman and a host of others. And as my other 2 basses have been put away I can concentrate on the Precision. I really want to go down the one bass only route, 1 bass & 1 amp job done. Plus I'm tired of saving up for basses & being gutted if they have gone before I had chance to get it.

Edited by luckman67