Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4003 Fretless

Roger2611

Hopefully I am ok to post this knowing the sensitivity over Rickenbacker's on here, if not I apologise and understand if the post is removed.

Anyway I went to see Leicester City play today and on my walk to the ground came upon a music shop, hanging above the counter was a 1977 4003 fretless in plain finish, It was a beauty of a bass but it did get me wondering whether it was a genuine fretless, the board had the shark tooth inlays but no signs of frets being filled in, the board also lacked the usual? glossy lacquered finish, it also had a brass nut fitted.

Anyone come across a fretless Ricky before?

Not sure what it would sound like, the thought of a Ricky fretless somehow sounds wrong!

I have a factory 4003FL but mine, and all others I have seen, have dots and not sharks teeth. All instruments I have seen also have hi-gloss boards. Mine sounds very Macca with flats and tapes, sounds crap with rounds. The sound with a pick and Ricky tape wounds is to die for.

A few years back I had a Cort GB75 made into a fretless and somebody on here very sensibly pointed out that I would get some horrible tones when stopping strings on the block inlays, so I had the board replaced. I would imagine the same problem happening with the sharkfin inlays too.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1421100718' post='2657251']
One of the few fretless with the dots in the right place on the neck.
[/quote]

No, not on mine, they are stock boards but without frets, so the dots on the board are between fret lines (although the dots on the binding are at the fretlines)

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1421100941' post='2657254']
A few years back I had a Cort GB75 made into a fretless and somebody on here very sensibly pointed out that I would get some horrible tones when stopping strings on the block inlays, so I had the board replaced. I would imagine the same problem happening with the sharkfin inlays too.
[/quote]

The necks on 4003s are varnished so there's probably no issue, or at least not a big one

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1420923374' post='2655180']
The sound with a pick and Ricky tape wounds is to die for.
[/quote]
[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1420923528' post='2655185']
PS if you search Fretless Rickenbacker on here you find some nice clips, it really is a stunning and unique tone
[/quote][quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1421180434' post='2658200']
...but so right!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ZPzgPTmho[/media]
[/quote]

That's the one, glorious sound. I'm pretty confident that it's one of the few bass tones that is legitimately exclusive to one instrument.

I keep wanting to sell my 4003FL because it's a lot of money tied up in a bass I rarely use, but then I pick it up and play it......

Edited by Beedster