Why become a member? ×

Strange courier collection arrangement, advise sought

KennysFord

[quote name='kennyrodgers' timestamp='1420554607' post='2650558']
Hey folks,
I'm selling a head on these pages and the guy who has arranged to buy it is having a Polish collection agent come to my works to collect it and pay me cash.[/quote]

You could make a point of making sure he sees your works CCTV watching his every move.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1420566185' post='2650731']
Last bit of advice is that I just noticed the OP has the same trouble with licence/license but I do not have the right to advise him on such matters with only a D at GCSE level ;)
[/quote]
Me being the OP is a little confused over this one ?? :)

Anyways, I appreciate all the replies gents, I've asked the buyer to call me so we'll see what happens. I certainly won't entertain any "last minute" hiccups and hopefully I'll be reporting back that all is well.
Thanks again all.
B)

In the old days before the internet we used to advertise in something called a newspaper small ad. One well know paper was known as Loot.

You used to actually put your landline in the advert and people would phone you AT YOUR HOUSE.

Then, get this! The person would come to your HOUSE, look at your gear, give you cash and take the gear away, there and then.

Imagine that!

Edited by TimR

The using of a third party collection agent is a well known ruse used by EBay scammers on a very regular basis.

The EBay trick is that the person pays you. The courier collects and the buyer then says the item has not arrived and it appears to be untraceable as it hasn't been collected either in person by the buyer or a 'recognised' major courier.

We get approached at the shop on a regular basis by people trying to do this and as soon as we insist on a courier like FedEx or UPS they strangely never contact us again.

In this case the only concern appears to be whether the money is genuine or not. You could insist on meeting at a high street bank to get the cash cleared if you're at all concerned.

Take the money, tw@t him, keep the amp head........

See it from that perspective he's as much to risk as you.

Lets not forget, the OP said he's coming to collect and paying CASH :)

Plenty on cautious anecdotes popping up JUST cos the guy is Polish for Christ sake. If he was English and said, I'm gonna get my mate to pick it up for me cos he's passing your way and it will save me the journey, you wouldn't bat an eyelid.
A polish person living in the uk is likely to use a network of polish services available in the uk to him, something he feels comfortable with and pehaps has a connection with etc.....

As for cautious anecdotes.... Fair do's , everyone's right to always be cautious ..... but just use your head. If it smells like a rat, it's usually a rat. If the cash looks right, take it.
Anecdotes .....Here's one..... Advertise car on eBay, prospective buyer calls and asked to view with intent to buy, he's travelled a fair way, you know he has the cash with him. You tell him your selling car cos of divorce or the like and as such you currently living at local travel lodge so you tell him to view the car there......
Guy turns up with cash. You take it off him and drive away in the car with his cash. He goes home with an mpty pocket and a sore head.
What I'm saying there, is this guy has every right to be as cautious as you.

Edited by Wonky2

Wonky2,
From my perspective he's at no risk at all, I know I'm an honest bloke but I know nought about the buyer or his courier. I have sold gear in the past to someone who's mate has paid me and collected it on their behalf, happy days and yes I can see he has every right to be as cautious.

What you are not aware of however is that his location is stated as UK on the forum yet he is posting from an ip address in Poland. He's not stated at all that he lives in Poland, he has zero history on here and no feedback and it is an unorthodox way of doing things, well it is for me at least.

I must admit that I feared the race thing would come in to it before I even posted the thread and unfortunately it has but personally speaking I'd have had the same fears wherever he was from. The issue here is that it is not a mate that's calling, it's a courier and this particular transaction is something I have no experience of. I initially thought and was under the impression it would be a mate of his until I got a call today of said courier, I was quite happy with things up to that point hence the thread.

Barrie,
Unfortunately mate I'm at work and can't get to a bank in the day but thanks for the suggestion.
B)

Another possiblity is that at my work we get a lot of Polish truck drivers picking up loads. Could it be possible that he has a Polish truck driving friend who may be doing a drop near where you live and it would save the buyer the concern of the potential for a failed or damaged delivery?

Through a work colleague I'll get a good 3 or 4 day's notice when to expect one of the drivers to come in with a load or to be taking one away.

Understand your caution mate..... If he turns up with anything other than cash , as I'm sure you will, turn him away.

And just for the record bud , the "just cos he's polish" comment wasn't aimed at your o.p, it was more so to wards the tendency for all to assume its deviance of the highest order.... I'd imagine trying to buy a decent used amp head in Poland isn't as easy... Getting someone to post one there , not easy too.... Easiest option for him would be the route he has suggested i guess.

But if you don't like it, tell him it's sold ;)

Edited by Wonky2

The bit that troubles me is that the courier is the one paying the money (in cash). I seriously question whether Parcelforce would do that for anyone. Maybe if the cash is in an envelope collected from the buyer but how much extra would that cost.

I guess if the money is ok and is the right amount then what's the problem.

Had a chap contact me through here a while ago (Thot - iirc) and we set up where 2 chaps in a Mercedes sprinter van or similar were on an excursion from Poland collecting Ebay purchases from the UK (they were also collecting a motorbike that day), he'd paid them to collect a bass rig from me, they paid me the asking price and obviously charged him for their services.

He's bought other stuff through here since, a nice bloke.

But I was understandably cautious at first.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1420668946' post='2652090']
£50 says scam. Even if not, as someone who's sold a thing or two on here, if in the same situation I'd decline the sale and seek a more straight forward deal. Good luck either way. C
[/quote]

Why?
I really don't see the problem. Someone comes to my workplace to pick up something I'm selling and they pay with cash. How is it relevant whether they're Chinese or Martians, and whether the person collecting is the final user or their cousin?

The precautions about cash are exactly the same as any other cash transaction of the kind we regularly do via this forum, gumtree or whatever.

Does it sound a little "different"? Yes. But, all those differences are pretty unimportant. Be cautious, of course! But from a safety point of view, it's surely better that they meet the seller at his workplace and not at his home, right? There will presumably be other people around too. So really, the only issue is whether the cash is legit or a forgery ;) And that is a problem that applies every single time you take cash as payment, the actual identity or nationality of the person bringing the cash and collecting the item is entirely irrelevant... unless this is an eBay transaction, in which case it MUST be posted and be traceable, which I understand this is not the case.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1420670202' post='2652117']

Why?
I really don't see the problem. Someone comes to my workplace to pick up something I'm selling and they pay with cash. How is it relevant whether they're Chinese or Martians, and whether the person collecting is the final user or their cousin?

The precautions about cash are exactly the same as any other cash transaction of the kind we regularly do via this forum, gumtree or whatever.

Does it sound a little "different"? Yes. But, all those differences are pretty unimportant. Be cautious, of course! But from a safety point of view, it's surely better that they meet the seller at his workplace and not at his home, right? There will presumably be other people around too. So really, the only issue is whether the cash is legit or a forgery ;) And that is a problem that applies every single time you take cash as payment, the actual identity or nationality of the person bringing the cash and collecting the item is entirely irrelevant... unless this is an eBay transaction, in which case it MUST be posted and be traceable, which I understand this is not the case.
[/quote]

Nothing to do with nationality (did I mention that?). Even in the old days, when we did things differently, I wouldn't have touched a deal with a third party paying cash. Time will tell eh :)

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1420670748' post='2652133']
As long as the cash is ok there's no problem. If you get the cash and hand the amp over, then your part of the deal is over. Take a deep breath aaaaaaaaand........relax.
[/quote]

exactly! :lol:

Well, deed done and until i put the cash in the bank eveything seems fine.
The first good sign was the guy turned up in a fully lettered up van, he had paperwork and asked directions for another collection. The back of the van was pretty full with other parcels as well.

I photographed the packed the head in front of him then counted the cash. The notes were all tenners and look fine. I'll report back once they're successfully deposited.... or not .
All in all the thread will hopefully serve a purpose for someone in the future who sells to our European cousins.
Thanks for all the input gents,
Pete.

Edited by kennyrodgers

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1420668946' post='2652090']
£50 says scam. Even if not, as someone who's sold a thing or two on here, if in the same situation I'd decline the sale and seek a more straight forward deal. Good luck either way. C
[/quote]

More straightforward than cash on collection? Is there one?

I think this thread got people over excited. The only way i do business, if i dont know the person, is cash on collection/delivery. In my experience, which is considerable, it is the only safe way to trade. Just make sure the cash is legit. We should be more trusting of people methinks.