Why become a member? ×

Electro Harmonix BASS Soul Food

Byo

Hi Y'all!

Electro Harmonix have released the Bass Soul Food.

Sounds good to me on the YouTube review:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5fmd2lYOqg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5fmd2lYOqg [/url]

What do you think?

I do prefer the second demo though (Pro Guitar Shop)

That Ibanez sure sounds amazing and the intro is killer.

The first demo sounds a bit too weak IMO, but for 60 quid and with the sound of the first demo... you cannot go wrong.

Edited by Byo

Sure there's 'better stuff' but that's a good price for a nice touch of overdrive. Most inexpensive bass overdrives seem over-exaggerated or too 'fizzy' in the top-end and don't really sit in the mix that well (IMO of course), whereas this is comparatively quite nice and subtle. All the controls you need and nothing else. Sounded perfect at the start of the ProGuitarShop demo. I imagine this would be great for adding a bit of grit to a Class D amp for some rock tunes. :)

I'd have to agree, sounds pretty 'stock', there's much better bass drives out there, blendable or not, if you really want to invest money in that type of tone.
That said, if you use the sound infrequently, or are just wanting to dip your toe into drive pedals, then this seems like a great place to start.

It certainly sounds a bujillion times better than the Boss ODB-3 :P

Si

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1420623829' post='2651333']
not bad so far, but does it work in a band context?
[/quote]

An often overlooked point. My best 'in the mix' drive tone/sound is really pretty horrible when everyone stops playing. All those killer 'bedroom tones' also seem to get lost and sound bland once you add band mates.

I might give this one a whirl. EHX pedals seem to work well for me.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1420622953' post='2651319']It certainly sounds a bujillion times better than the Boss ODB-3 :P[/quote]

As an overdrive pedal yes, but not as a mutant-rabid-distortofuzz-monster that I use my ODB-3 for! I've not found a pedal that can replace it!

• 4 weeks later...

Just picked one up. Very impressed. I guess much like the intention, this gives a grittier version of your own tone.

I was after a pedal that would add some grit while still sounding like me, and wouldn't disappear in a band context, or change where I sit in the mix.

I used it at rehearsal the other night with my passive P bass and was really happy- cut through the mix easily, which is what I hoped for, without changing the P bass character or moving it's place in the mix. Could really hear the added grit too, without having to have the effect stupidly loud. Quite dynamic, and feels almost like you are driving an amp harder.

I kept the drive and blend at around 1 o clock and this was perfect for me. Capable of more, but if I wanted crazier fuzz or distortion I would probably look at something else.

It's definitely better than the youtube vids would suggest- those videos did nothing for me either. But how often have you heard a pedal that sounds great on youtube, but doesn't work once you use it live?

Edited by cameltoe