Why become a member? ×

Bass amp advice!

turkey91

Hi there i'm on the search for a bass amp that will suit my bands sound. We play music not too dissimilar from the likes of Low/Neil Young/The Antlers/Nick Cave/Spoon etc so my bass is quite delicate at times and needs to be fairly warm and deep not too rocky/punchy but sometimes we get a bit louder/rockier. The amp would be used for both recording and gigging.

The guitarist uses a really nice all valve 15 watt guitar amp and the drummer uses a stripped down kit so it doesn't need to be really loud, but needs to deliver a rounded warm sound. I'm using a fender precision bass guitar but am not very experienced when it comes to bass amps. All the gigs we've played thus far the bass amp has been DI/Mic'd up so i just need to be able to hear myself while we're playing, but as i'll be recording with it also it needs to be more than just a live monitor. Any suggestions would be welcomed, i'd much rather buy something used and get more for my money than something new. My drummer thinks any kind of old/valve amp is the way to go but i'm open to suggestions. At the moment i'm thinking of spending no more than £800. Any advice would be welcomed!

You don't need a valve amp IMO.

I'd go and try a few, but ANY new bass amp in your budget is more than capable of making a pleasing sound, the challenge will be finding something that really pushes your buttons.

Personally-speaking, I'd look for a head and cab - more versatile and also more scope for experimentation. I'd try all the usual suspects but for £800 you should easily get something that'll do you proud.

Cheers,
James

There is (was?) a Hartke LH500 in the for sales for £180. Bargain and great tone. That leaves you just over £600. I can thoroughly recommend the Barefaced Compact (gen 1 or 2) with this amp. Should leave you with £150 for cables, cab covers etc.

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1420299944' post='2647788']
There is (was?) a Hartke LH500 in the for sales for £180. Bargain and great tone.
[/quote]

That was my first choice in the Fantasy Bass Shopping thread (http://basschat.co.uk/topic/252465-fantasy-bass-shopping/). :)

They're not super posh with loads of buttons, but they're a fantastic 'no frills' workhorse.

Markbass Little Mark 2 or 3 would do that, sound nice and warm in the mix, though they do match better with some basses than others - Markbass & Precision being a good pairing imo. As others have said Genz Streamliner, Harke LH all good, as is Aguilar Tonehammer.

If I had £800 to spend on an amp I'd look for a second hand 2x10 combo. Probably Gallien Kreuger (RB range), Peavey (BAM or Pro range) or SWR (WorkingPro range) and then spend the money I've got left on decent strings, cables, mics and cases.

I don't like lightweight Class D amps. I think they lack balls and character. Sure, they're easier to move around but every sod that has one sounds like every other sod that has one!

Good luck and have fun!

Truckstop

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]What you might gather from this thread is everyone has an opinion and the only real answer is to get out to the shops any try a few makes out. However, from the amps mentioned for sale here, some are very reasonably priced and anything you buy, if it was not for you, you could always move it on.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Anyway, my opinion FWIW :) ..[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I've run a series of top-name valve amps and I'm always impressed with the Gallien Kreuger tone. I find it warm, punchy and with plenty of body. However you won't go wrong with Genz or Aguilar either.[/font][/size]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]If your Drummist wants you to have valve gear, then you could always buy my Ampeg SVT Pro II and get him to carry it for you :yarr: :lol:[/font]

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1420307880' post='2647914']
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]What you might gather from this thread is everyone has an opinion and the only real answer is to get out to the shops any try a few makes out. [/font][/size]
[/quote]

That`s pretty much it really. What can also help is go and see a few local bands, and when you hear a bassists tone you like, check out their gear. Hearing it in the mix can really change opinions. I recommended Markbass, yet soloed I find it has a fairly unispiring tone, but in the mix it translates really well - and it`s in the mix where it counts. Hence Markbass being the one I usually recommend.

I'd agree with going & trying some kit out. Take your bass along too.
I love the sound of my MarkBass. Only reason it's for sale is that I don't play in a band anymore.
If you want a valve sound, get a preamp pedal such as a Sansamp, DHA VT or if on a budget, a Behringer BDI & put it between the bass & amp.

I'm sure the bassist from Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds uses Ampeg SVT's with a Precision and his tone on 20,000 Days On Earth is perfect.

If it was me, I'd invest the full £800 on a good, used valve head. There's an Orange Ad200b for sale on here just now and that would be spot on for the type of music you play.

Hello again, sorry for the slow reply i've been reading up on many of the amps people have mentioned above and am gravitating towards the Genz Benz Streamliner series, as i am very attracted to the 3 tube built in pre amp and the small size!

My initial thoughts were to go with the STM-600 (375 Watts @ 8 ohms; 600 Watts @ 4 ohms) model as i think it would be loud enough for my needs. But i have just noticed a Genz Benz Streamliner STM-900 (500 Watts @ 8 ohms; 900 Watts @ 4 ohms) on this forum for £350, which seems like a bit of a steal. If i were to get the 900 model i doubt i would be running it anywhere near the full volume and would like a fairly portable cab if possible 2x10 or 1x12, i am intrested in the barefaced super compact but am wondering if there are any cheaper alternatives that would be suitable (with the intention to possible upgrading at a later date). I'm a little confused as to what the ideal wattage of the cab would be to match the head (sorry noob question).

Thanks again for all the advice thus far!

Well that 900 is a steal, so as long as you like the sound of the Streamliner I`d get that asap, and then look at cabs to fit with it. I believe much of Alex`s (at Barefaced) tests with his cabs are conducted with a Genz amp so has to be worth checking his cabs out. I have the Super 12T and these can be picked up around £600 on here. One of these is more than enough for all but the biggest gigs (says he who has two). They`re easily portable and sound amazing.