Why become a member? ×

Well, that's that then...

Skinnyman

Got an email this morning from the rhythm guitarist, quitting the band. This follows on from the singer and drummer who quit in September and have been replaced after a long search. So I had a chat with the remaining original member and we decided to call it a day.

And I'm not sure how I feel. The band effectively ended last year when the singer quit. The new guys were very inexperienced and were still getting to grips with our set so it never really felt like we were a proper band. And the rhythm guitarist wound me up repeatedly on account of his inability to turn down to less than 11 regardless of the pace,dynamics or mood of the song.

But this band's been together for 6 years and, though I say it myself, when we were good we were on fire.

So my dilemma now is whether to carry on. There don't seem to be many bands in the East Midlands looking for a bass/rhythm guitarist and I'm not sure I have the enthusiasm to try and pull a band together myself.

So maybe this is one chapter closed and I'll go back to playing along to backing tracks and recording my own stuff.

There seem to have been a few threads of this nature posted on here recently. People giving up through illness, fatigue or just general world-weariness. And now it's me....

But I think I'll miss being in a band...

Edited by Skinnyman

Six years is pretty good ime, most bands explode before that long.

I've found doing nothing has worked well for me over the years, the phone just tends to ring at some point and eventually I'll get involved and so it starts again, unfortunately the best bands musically have exploded sooner than the not so good ones, people watching us live don't realise how hard the whole band thing is, playing the songs is the easy bit isn't?!

Just chill for a bit, make sure people locally know you could be available and see what turns up.
:)

Maybe take a bit of time out to scrub up on some of those things that you didn't have time for when you were in an active rolling band.
A bit of woodshedding is a great way to chill and take stock.
Then when you inevitably join/start a new band you'll have a new and fresh angle to come from which will be a lot more fun.
And on it goes..

Guys - thanks for the words of encouragement.

Must admit, I was feeling a bit down about this earlier but now we've gone through the "who's got what bits of band kit and how much is it worth and how do we split it" discussion, I do feel a bit of a sense of relief. Six years has been a good run and I've liked the fact that we played a variety of stuff rather than stick to one niche. But at the same time, it was getting to the point where, instead of six years experience, it was more like one year's experience repeated six times. Certainly, I've not felt "stretched" for a while now. So I'll take the general wisdom of you all and chill for a bit, use the time to practice stuff I wouldn't normally play and keep my ears open for what might come along. There's a couple of jam nights locally so I might wander down and check those out.

And, strangely, I've got a bit of a hankering for some jazz.....

Carry on playing, but seek out something new. In my old band we split, got back together (though the original drummer didn`t come back) and it never really felt the same. I felt too that with the original line-up, when we played we were on fire, but in the 2 years after we got back together we probably only did 2 gigs where I could say that.

When you decide to get back playing, worth putting an ad up on here about being available, I`ve had 2 dep jobs through a bassist wanted ad that was posted on the forum.

[quote name='Skinnyman' timestamp='1420295173' post='2647677']
There's a couple of jam nights locally so I might wander down and check those out.
[/quote]

Do it. :)

Although there are a lot of 'passable' musicians at these things, there are also a smattering of good ones as well.

Use them as a networking resource and you might strike lucky. :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1420303304' post='2647829']

Do it. :)

Although there are a lot of 'passable' musicians at these things, there are also a smattering of good ones as well.

Use them as a networking resource and you might strike lucky. :)
[/quote]

Definitely this.
Not that I'd presume to advise the OP as I haven't even been playing 6 years, never mind being in a band that long.
But I've only recently discovered the joys of regular jams, and have noticed how good they can be for networking. Or simply just keeping your hand in when between bands.

If you can find an established band with gigs, it would be a lot easier than the time and frustration in putting a new band together.

Playing to backing tracks and recording in the bedroom will never be an option for me. I've always been a gigging guy and I have no plans on stopping.

Blue

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1420297742' post='2647746']
Hankering for some jazz?, fancy stretching yourself?,Hmmm sounds like we might have a promising DB newbie if you haven't gone down that route before? :)
[/quote]
Don't tempt me. I've even got the black polo neck and grew a goatee over Christmas....

damn, I've got GAS now

Nice.....

Thanks guys for all the encouragement and advice.

Isn't it weird how things turn out. Having mentioned to a friend yesterday day morning that the band was no more, I get an email yesterday afternoon from a cousin of a friend of said friend (or some remote connection, anyway) who's just come out of one band and is looking to start another. I went round to see him last night and we got on like a house on fire. He plays bass and rhythm so we can share 4 and 6 String duties, he's been playing much longer than I have so there's a real opportunity to learn from him, the stuff he wants to do is really varied and - get this - even has a couple of jazz standards in it. Plus, he doesn't want to sing the whole gig so there's a chance to do a bit of singing.

Of course, we may get into a room together for a rehearsal and be pants. He might turn out to be the band leader from Hell. He might object to my aftershave. Who knows? But it looks promising at the moment.

Talk about one door closing and another one opening....

[quote name='Skinnyman' timestamp='1420438486' post='2649296']
Don't tempt me. I've even got the black polo neck and grew a goatee over Christmas....

damn, I've got GAS now

Nice.....
[/quote]
Well you should check out some Gedo basses then, loads of us here have them, I am sure that will cure your gas for one....or maybe make it worse...either way have a browse around the DB section on here, Lol

Jazz.....

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1420297742' post='2647746']
Hankering for some jazz?, fancy stretching yourself?,Hmmm sounds like we might have a promising DB newbie if you haven't gone down that route before? :)
[/quote]
Curse you, StingrayPete! :-) You just had to sow the seed, didn't you? Stagg EUB just bought and collected - just got to smuggle it into the house and see how long it takes for the wife to notice...

Expect there to be many stupid questions as I get to grips with the thing.

Hmmm, jazz...