Why become a member? ×

Fender/Squier Bass VI instead of a regular bass.?

Prime_BASS

I must have gotten this crazy idea in my drunken stupper last night, and I've googled a bit and looked at some YouTube clips, but it's all guitar players ramming out muddy chords and shredding the crap out of them.

I was wondering how effective they are as basses in a regular punk rock type band, as as basses full stop through a bass amp and some overdrives?

Our band is essentially one lead/rhythm guitar and another rhythm/melody/bass (me).
I typically use the bridge pickup on a jazz bass, some neck mixed in(not that you can tell), usually have one overdrive going into another, and there isn't a whole lot of real deep lows.

My main worry is it sounding pants, not enough lows, and playability. I can already see that I might be better using heavier strings than what either the fender or squier models come with(I think .95 is the lowest)

Are there any sources I can listen back to on the web that use one?

Edited by Prime_BASS

I read reviews of the Squier VI that say it sounds like a baritone guitar when used through a guitar amp and like a bass when played through a bass rig. I'd imagine it'll sound not a million miles away from a 4 string short scale bass.

An aside - for the sort of sonic space you're trying to fill, I wonder if you'd be better looking into 8 or 12 string basses. They are basicly 4 string basses paired with one or two octave strings.

Yep, it sounds mostly like a short scale bass when played as a bass. I have a Squier VI and a SS Jaguar, the basic tone sounds the same.
Mine has heavier strings on it (100s anyway, the squier comes with 85s). It can do many things but it is hard to use without a pick as the space between strings is a bit tight.
Its an interesting instrument, but it couldn't be my only bass, but for someone who used a pick anyway, which I guess you do with punk, it could be.
I had fun doing ramones stuff on it recently, but mostly chords.

I briefly used a Gretsch Jet Baritone as a bass. It's the same scale as a Fender VI, and I strung it E to E using La Bella strings. I could get a decent bass sound out of it, and I could also do "twangy" surf style guitar lines on it. Took some getting used to the string spacing versus a conventional four string bass, but it was great fun and sounds great with distortion if you want to play something approximating a lead guitar part.

Ok, I'm pretty sold. However until I try one I do feel I should look at more string options.
There isn't many sets made for it, and I think the lowest is .95 gauge. What it's like if I string up with some regular 34" scaled bass strings.

I'm a bit worried about losing weight across the board, so would feel better having a set that was .5 heavier than what it comes with.

went on tour with a band that used one a couple of years ago, sounded cool but the string spacing is MEGA tight.

i'd like to hear one with some new pickups, maybe normal bass ones.

one thing to point out, the guy who had one was tearing his hair out trying to find replacement strings for it whilst on tour, he'd snapped one and we couldnt find a set ANYWHERE in UK or EU

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1420195506' post='2646492']
Ok, I'm pretty sold. However until I try one I do feel I should look at more string options.
There isn't many sets made for it, and I think the lowest is .95 gauge. What it's like if I string up with some regular 34" scaled bass strings.
[/quote]

Not a hope. Remember they have guitar sized tuners so if you use a 34" sized set you are trying to get the full bass width into a tiny slot. Not going to happen.
My strings come from Labella in the states, as per one of the other threads on here, actually pretty good and fast shipping, but not as convenient as getting normal bass strings.

Edit - maybe I am wrong, the slots are bigger than I would remember, but really, I wouldn't like to try it

[url="http://s405.photobucket.com/user/alienrat/media/squiervi_zpsa991b102.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by Woodinblack

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1420131626' post='2645943']
Cheers guys, I will check out the suggestions from Essential Tension.

I do play with a pick so I shouldn't find it too hard to play it over a normal bass.

Would be nice to actually try out one with my gear before making a purchase
[/quote]

Cool - Try one out if you can - Kinda like an ibanez mikro (or any sub 30" scale) or an 8 string bass - best to try before you commit.
Some online (&offline) stores will take immaculate returns, no questions asked.

Best to try with different string gauges & types (flats or rounds) as you get to know the instrument (assuming you love it!)

With custom string companies (Circle K?) and brands that cater to the bass VI market you might be able to find a giggable setup.
I'd have a dozen stringsets before booking dates. Two dozen if I broke strings regularly. (I'd want to have a few months supply of such a tricky to get item if the music was relying on it!)

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1420209842' post='2646699']
the VI i referenced above had to be strung with a normal bass string when we couldnt source a set of VI strings on tour, it seemed fine for the guy using it, think it was the low E he replaced
[/quote]

Good to know, I have about 30 used sets of used strings lying around haha.

Tuning posts look fine to me and if there isn't going to be any tuning or intonation errors, and they hold at a decent tension to me there shouldn't be an issue but I should look around for strings as well I guess.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1420294858' post='2647665']
Aren't they tuned B-B in the guitar register?
If so, you'll need an octave pedal, if so, you're replacing a bass with a slightly lower guitar + a pedal to do the job of a bass? Lol

Si
[/quote]
[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1420295238' post='2647679']

Standard tuning is E A D G B E in bass guitar register.
[/quote]

As above, it's tuned one octave lower than a regular electric guitar.
I did a quick google before asking in the OP, I wouldn't dream of playing a regular guitar these days. Those strings are so tiny.