Why become a member? ×

My first audition! THE RESULT!

interpol52

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1422577790' post='2674382']My name is Daryl, that's a proper English name, right? :D
[/quote]For a girl :gas: ;)

I have lost months of my life not going with my gut feelings at auditions. Well done OP, plenty more bands out there.

Edited by Thurbs

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1422576501' post='2674368']

By the way, my dad always called me Blue as a nickname from the age of about 2. I think he got it from a film. The Champ maybe?
[/quote]

was your dad a fan of tv series The High Chapparal?
Blue was the ranch bosses son's name.
late 60's early 70's.
That dates me too! ;-)

Well done on the audition. You auditioned them too & it wasn't quite right for you. Decision made best for both no need for any guilt.

Genuinely astonished at the amount of negativity towards leccy drums.

A good quality kit is indistinguishable (to the audience) from a live kit, and the pub rock scene continues to move steadily towards bands with a volume knob - especially for the drummer.

Paul the Drums in the Junkyard Dogs was slow to warm to them but wouldn't now be without them for small venues. The drummers in two other bands I play with have also abandoned their opposition.

Getting back on topic, glad you came through the audition process unscathed, and I hate pointy Ibanez guitars too.

My first few gigs, were with a drum machine operated by a keyboard player.
I enjoyed the experience . At one gig , it stopped working, and I did a little solo to get us out of jail;)

As for the Ibanez; I love the satiriani vibe and tbh this band sound like a very positive outfit
I've been in a band where 2 guitarists both had fender champ amps, no fx and the sound was tedious to me.
Did you play rivers of Babylon ?;

Still , you made the right choice. If you have any issues, address them early.

Kudos for not going for it if it didn't feel right for you. There's a lot to be said for going with your gut. I don't go anywhere without mine.

However, if it had been SOLELY down to the shape of a guitar or whether the kit was electric..? These things wouldn't bother me in the least IF what the guitarist and drummer were actually playing was good. I say IF...

Good drummers are WAY too rare to worry about what their kits look like.
If the drummer's good there's at least a chance the band will be, too. :)

Good luck for your next audition! I hope the guitars will be the right shape in future!! ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1422617752' post='2674630']
Kudos for not going for it if it didn't feel right for you. There's a lot to be said for going with your gut. I don't go anywhere without mine.

However, if it had been SOLELY down to the shape of a guitar or whether the kit was electric..? These things wouldn't bother me in the least IF what the guitarist and drummer were actually playing was good. I say IF...

Good drummers are WAY too rare to worry about what their kits look like.
If the drummer's good there's at least a chance the band will be, too. :)

Good luck for your next audition! I hope the guitars will be the right shape in future!! ;)
[/quote]

They were good musicians and good people. The pointy guitar and the electronic drumkit weren't the sole factors. Geographically the band members were spread out between Oldham, Wakefield, Leeds and Retford. They hadn't thought of the best location to rehearse and I wasn't really up for travelling to Oldham or Retford.

I know that some of you are big fans of electronic kits (a new thread has appeared on them!) but it just didn't feel right to me. That's just my personal take on them though, others have their own opinions and rightly so.

It has been really cool seeing people comment on this thread, thanks for all the advice beforehand (it worked!) and also your opinions on what went on at the actual audition.

Looking forward to the next one when it comes along, hopefully my boring traditional tastes in equipment will not get in the way of my decision making again!

Edited by interpol52

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1422649169' post='2675249']
Geographically the band members were spread out between Oldham, Wakefield, Leeds and Retford. They hadn't thought of the best location to rehearse and I wasn't really up for travelling to Oldham or Retford.
[/quote]

If you have to travel far it really becomes a chore [i]very [/i]quickly. Then if any minor grievance surfaces it gets magnified out of all proportion, because you tend to think along the lines of, 'There's THAT issue, AND I have to bloody drive all this distance to rehearse...' so it's counter productive. I know, I've done it more than once.

Good luck for your next audition though - the more you do, the better you get at them, ask the right questions, take a step back, get everything in proportion and decide if it really is for you or not. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1422649574' post='2675260']

If you have to travel far it really becomes a chore [i]very [/i]quickly. Then if any minor grievance surfaces it gets magnified out of all proportion, because you tend to think along the lines of, 'There's THAT issue, AND I have to bloody drive all this distance to rehearse...' so it's counter productive. I know, I've done it more than once.

Good luck for your next audition though - the more you do, the better you get at them, ask the right questions, take a step back, get everything in proportion and decide if it really is for you or not. :)
[/quote]

Yeah I have been in bands where people have travelled far and you are so right. It never works, anything over 45 minutes travel to the rehearsal puts me off.

Thanks for the advice! I have played in bands for years and this is the first time I have ever really had to think about auditions and stuff. It's good to know that people are willing to share their experiences and wisdom!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1422615082' post='2674581']
Genuinely astonished at the amount of negativity towards leccy drums.

A good quality kit is indistinguishable (to the audience) from a live kit, and the pub rock scene continues to move steadily towards bands with a volume knob - especially for the drummer.

Paul the Drums in the Junkyard Dogs was slow to warm to them but wouldn't now be without them for small venues. The drummers in two other bands I play with have also abandoned their opposition.

Getting back on topic, glad you came through the audition process unscathed, and I hate pointy Ibanez guitars too.
[/quote]

I did a dep gig last year with a very good drummer with a fancy schmantsy Roland Kit and i must say it sounded great. He really knew how to programme it too which made all the difference. I've also played with another drummer who didn't and it was hard work. I had a wedge monitor specifically for the drums just behind me so got a good bass drum kick in the rear, just like an acoustic kit which helped. Run a mile from any band with a guitarist who has pointy Ibanez and satriani/malmsteen/ vai type aspirations though.

Edited by lonestar

[quote name='Norm' timestamp='1422614340' post='2674572']

was your dad a fan of tv series The High Chapparal?
Blue was the ranch bosses son's name.
late 60's early 70's.
That dates me too! ;-)

Well done on the audition. You auditioned them too & it wasn't quite right for you. Decision made best for both no need for any guilt.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure it's from The Champ, I don't remember him watching that particular show you mention.

Thanks for the easing my guilt!