Why become a member? ×

My first audition! THE RESULT!

interpol52

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1420045561' post='2645163']
As vain as it sounds - if you want the gig, try taking along a bass that matches their style. If you're not sure, a Fender type bass will fit most bands![/quote]

Interesting point.

I'm not auditioning, however I don't play traditional basses. Most of my basses are pretty much retro looking. For example you don't see a lot of guys playing Gibson's Gold Top Les Paul Bass or their ES-335 Bass or a GibsonThunderbird which is what I play most of the time. And my primary bass is a German made Hofner Limited Edition Club Bass. I would think a lot of younger guys would look at any of my basses and say [i]"what's that?"[/i]

I do have a couple of Fender Telecaster Basses that would satisfy bands that have opinions on bass guitars.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1420112652' post='2645618']
Don`t play too loud - if anything hang back a bit and wait to be asked to turn up, not all bands like a really loud present bass.[/quote]

I think that can go both ways. I have heard stories about guys wondering what the final decision was and getting a response from the band saying [i]" we couldn't hear you ".[/i] I say set up quick, (I prefer to bring my own gear unless the band has asked me not to) do a 1 minute sound check with the band to get approval on your tone and the volume your at in the mix. Ask the band if they can all hear you.

Remember even the best bands have no real protocol when it comes to auditioning.

Could be a cultural difference but over hear most function bands have guys lined up waiting in the wings?

Blue

Edited by blue

All good stuff so far. Just to expand on the 'bass image' theme, do you know what the [i]band[/i] image is? If this is a pub covers or functions band, this won't really matter, as everyone rehearses in their street clothing. If it's a band that may have a more focused image (e.g. death metal), first ask yourself whether you can live with this, even if you treat it as dressing-up; then make sure you don't go blowing it unnecessarily, e.g. Coldplay-fan-style beige trousers and loafers to a metal audition. Really this shouldn't matter, but probably does!

I wouldn't be asking for confirmation of them liking my tone or not?, volume maybe in a "can you all hear me ok?" But not the tone, I'd select the appropriate tone for the genre in question and more importantly use a playing style that works, if they don't like it fine I'd rather not have the gig than be told what tone to use thanks :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1420194693' post='2646480']
I wouldn't be asking for confirmation of them liking my tone or not?, volume maybe in a "can you all hear me ok?" But not the tone, I'd select the appropriate tone for the genre in question and more importantly use a playing style that works, if they don't like it fine I'd rather not have the gig than be told what tone to use thanks :)
[/quote]

You might not be the best candidate for a functions band at least not on this side of the pond. These bands usually are offering some of the better money to be made out there and they are positioned to call the shots for tone and volume among other things such as look, image, dress ect ect...

Another potential barrier. Over here unless you have function band experience it's difficult to get in.

Blue

I'm not going to dial in a crazy slap tone for Bob Marley covers, versatilty is key imo and I am very versatile as is my gear :)

I'm either going to get along with people and they will enjoy my playing or they wont, I've eaten my share of function band buffet food too but never to pay my mortgage, I dont want to do that either, I'm already losing half a days holiday for a wedding gig on monday night with work the Tuesday after.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1420237767' post='2647146']
I'm not going to dial in a crazy slap tone for Bob Marley covers, versatilty is key imo and I am very versatile as is my gear :)

I'm either going to get along with people and they will enjoy my playing or they wont, I've eaten my share of function band buffet food too but never to pay my mortgage, I dont want to do that either, I'm already losing half a days holiday for a wedding gig on monday night with work the Tuesday after.
[/quote]

I doubt I would ever make the grade for a big $$$$$$$ function band, but if I did I'd dial in whatever they wanted.

Blue

This may or may not be helpful, but a lot of it is down to how well you get on with them. 99% of bands will prefer a competent player who they like to a virtuoso they can't stand. And of course, you have to be happy with them too. It's not all one way. Just do yer stuff. Good luck.

Be excited and at the audition show enthusiasm, landing a gig with a gigging well paid function band would or will be very cool.

All the guys are right about personality fits with the band.

Last year we auditioned a drummer, he was really good, however he was so introverted with no personality he would have never fit in with the band. We eventually found a perfect fit, outstanding drummer, plenty of experience, meaning the guy knew how to be in a band (some guys don't) great sense of humor too. Even our fans commented on what a great fit the guys is.

Blue

If your bring your own gear, showing up on time and the ability to set up quickly usually goes over well.

Also, I hate to be superficial but it will be interesting to hear what some of you have to say. If it's a high end function band showing up with well maintained good gear is always good. You don't want to show up with older beat up gear thinking it''s your playing skills that will get you in. It usually doesn't work that way.

I remember when we were auditioning drummers and some of these guys showing up with old ratty kits with no cases was not impressive at all.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1420323954' post='2648173']
You don't want to show up with older beat up gear thinking it''s your playing skills that will get you in. It usually doesn't work that way.
Blue
[/quote]

mmm.... not sure I could do much about that, my gigging basses are 36 and 47 years old. Whilst I wouldn't
say they were "ratty" they certainly bear the scars of the battle hardened warriors they are.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1420194055' post='2646469']
All good stuff so far. Just to expand on the 'bass image' theme, do you know what the [i]band[/i] image is? If this is a pub covers or functions band, this won't really matter, as everyone rehearses in their street clothing. If it's a band that may have a more focused image (e.g. death metal), first ask yourself whether you can live with this, even if you treat it as dressing-up; then make sure you don't go blowing it unnecessarily, e.g. Coldplay-fan-style beige trousers and loafers to a metal audition. Really this shouldn't matter, but probably does!
[/quote]

I am not sure using image and referencing death metal is relevant. My reasoning, in my part of the world there are no metal function bands no less death metal.

[i]"Bass image"[/i] in the context of this thread means not clashing with the band. For example *I have auditioned for several functions over the years. I usually look at their gig videos and press pictures to get an idea of what their [i]"look"[/i] is . I will copy that look and that is how I will show up dressed for the audition. Is it necessary, probably not. But I'm not sure it hurts either. Look at it like it was a traditional job. The dress code may be business casual or casual, I'm still wearing a suit to my interview.

Here's another rather harsh example, I've actually seen this. The 50-60 year old guy that shows up to audition with a trendy looking function band and the members are in their 30s. The guy shows up overweight, grey hair with the long pony tail ( could be a perfect match for some bands I know ) and shabby looking overalls and gym shoes. The guy can obviously play but has no clue why he wasn't considered.

A lot of this really depends on where your at in your musical career, knowing what you want and how to get it. Sometimes we have to jump through hoops to get things we want.

Blue

* I am not in a functions band, I am in a respectable bar/club band. I have no function band experience. I have showed up to function auditions looking great, looking the part and playing the material better than the band. However i have never won function band gig.

I believe the reason I have lost these gigs is age, I'm just too old for the bands. And I don't have grey hair. :(

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1420340951' post='2648291']
Who here has auditioned for functions band?

I am sure the OP would like to hear real stories about how you won or lost the opportunity.
[/quote]

Me. :)

Get yourself in the right frame of mind beforehand.

Now, it's plastered all over the internet these days, but auditions have always been a two way thing to me.
Not only have they got to like what I'm doing, but I need to be convinced that they're not going to be an embarrassment to me further down the line.
Yesterday was actually the 35th anniversary of my first paid gig (3rd January 1980 - Charlie Browns, Luton eek!).
In those intervening years I have never failed an audition but a lot of bands I've auditioned for have.
Don't be afraid to say 'no thanks' if it's not for you.

I was given a setlist of about a dozen numbers a week or so beforehand.
I already half knew them anyway, so not a huge issue there.
Just don't assume you know the material and leave it to the last minute.
Also bear in mind that someone might have changed keys and forgotten to tell you - so be prepared to transpose 'on the fly'.

I asked around to find people that knew the band to get an idea of what they were like and got the general vibe that they were quite tight and not very tolerant of mistakes, so... no pressure then... :rolleyes:

I spent a little time looking at the setlist and had a couple of suggestions of other songs that might 'fit' to drop into conversation if I felt it warranted it - you're 'adding' something more than just you by doing that.

Should go without saying but a shower, shave and clean clothes before you go is a good idea - I've had people turn up at auditions looking and smelling nasty, and the length of the audition becomes inversely proportional to the state they turn up in.

Got to the audition and had myself setup and tuned within 5 minutes.

Don't go for equipment overkill at this point - it's an audition, not Wembley Arena. :)
One amp, a 2x10 cab, tuner, guitar lead and one familiar bass is all I bother taking in with me.
An extension lead, spare bass and leads stay in the car, just in case. :)

Made friends with the drummer as my first priority - get the drummer on your side and you're halfway there. :)
P*ss him off and you're dead in the water.

I took control from the start by asking 'what are we going to do first then?'.
Neat trick that one - it gives the impression of taking some responsibility and being an equal before you've even played a note, and you were going to play it anyway. :)

Once we'd got the first four tracks out of the way they pulled out a different setlist and picked a few of those at random.
Unfortunately, there aren't really any shortcuts around that one - you've either learned how to deal with it or you haven't.
No, it's not fair and it may be deemed 'unprofessional' by some, but it happens sometimes. :)

I finished the audition and got a voicemail during the 15 minute drive home offering me the job.
That was seven years ago and we're still going strong. :)

I'm sure someone else has mentioned this but just in case - agree the songs you are going to play and LEARN THEM.

I have been on the other end of this so many times and you wouldn't believe the number of times people turn up who have simply not bothered to learn the material. It should be the easy bit.

Also, don't be afraid to leave. Bands that are not used to auditioning can be bad for failing to tell you the audition is over. When you have done your thing, pack up your stuff and go.

Lastly, if you enjoyed it and are genuinely interested then say so. It saves the band wondering if you would actually accept the position if they like you.

The last audition I had, the drummer was bloomin awful, the rhythm guitarist couldn`t really play and they were far too loud. On the way out, a keyboard player who was joining them said I was much better than the other guy and felt sure they would offer me the gig.

They offered me it but I nicely declined. Always be nice and tactful with people as you dont know where they or you will turn up next.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1420323954' post='2648173']
If your bring your own gear, showing up on time and the ability to set up quickly usually goes over well.

Also, I hate to be superficial but it will be interesting to hear what some of you have to say. If it's a high end function band showing up with well maintained good gear is always good. You don't want to show up with older beat up gear thinking it''s your playing skills that will get you in. It usually doesn't work that way.

I remember when we were auditioning drummers and some of these guys showing up with old ratty kits with no cases was not impressive at all.

Blue
[/quote]

It depends how serious you want to take but there are certain fits that you can't really ignore.
We've been down this with music stands... :lol: and a metal band just wouldn't entertain them, for example... :lol:
Some hotels that will pay top $ wont have leads all over the place, and they wont have them gaffered up the wall
etc etc ...but this is mainly common sense and a degree of respect for the type of gig you are booked to do.
A tatty old 412 with the cloth kicked in ..? no one will bat much of an eyelid in a pub but that is not good enough
when people are paying £100 a ticket at a expensive function...
So, you should know what is expected by what sort of work the band does.... but I would also expect that you'd ask
that sort of stuff before you agreed to audition..?

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1420329626' post='2648245']
mmm.... not sure I could do much about that, my gigging basses are 36 and 47 years old. Whilst I wouldn't
say they were "ratty" they certainly bear the scars of the battle hardened warriors they are.
[/quote]

That sounds more vintage than "ratty".

Blue