Why become a member? ×

Anyone used ali express to buy a bass?

funkgod

just wondered if anyone has used ali express to buy basses ?
seems to be loads of very cheap basses there for eg.
I spotted a fender Jazz 5 string for $240 free shipping to the uk, hold on thats only £154.00 :o
its even got made in the USA on the headstock, and a fender neck plate
Now im guessing (not too hard) these are not legit, but even so as a back up... i am very tempted
to try one.

So...
Has anyone used ali express to buy a bass,
if so, what are your thoughts please ??,

[url="http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arrival-High-quality-5-String-Electric-bass-guitar-jazz-bass-have-in-store-immediately-shipping/32215378368.html"]http://www.aliexpres...2215378368.html[/url]

Edited by funkgod

You know the deal - if it looks too good to be true - then it probably is!

As tempting as it maybe :rolleyes:

You go first :P

Edit: I dunno - the bloody serial number checks out! [url="http://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender.aspx"]http://www.guitardat...org/fender.aspx[/url]

(Corona USA 07 - 08)

Edited by KiOgon

It looks, to me, like an eBay site concentrating on stores only - so I guess you're at the mercy of whichever store you buy from.

Looking at the prices and the fact that the logos are mostly obscured, there do seem to be a high percentage of obvious forgeries.

If it was me, I wouldn't be sending my money all the way to China on the off chance that a fake bass might be vaguely playable, if it actually turned up.

"You know the deal - if it looks too good to be true - then it probably is!"

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1419776671' post='2642607']
It looks, to me, like an eBay site concentrating on stores only - so I guess you're at the mercy of whichever store you buy from.

Looking at the prices and the fact that the logos are mostly obscured, there do seem to be a high percentage of obvious forgeries.

If it was me, I wouldn't be sending my money all the way to China on the off chance that a fake bass might be vaguely playable, if it actually turned up.
[/quote]

Agreed, this got my first alarm bell ringing,
The second was my dads motto " if you buy cheap, you buy twice"
But Just to test the water i wil send an email ( they may speak English) for some more info,
keep yall posted.

Edited by funkgod

Quite a few guys on a certain Facebook page have used them.
Expect to change out hardware as a minimum. Some of them, you will not get the same as the purdy pictures!
Also, as I understand it, with these COUNTERFEIT goods, you are allowed to buy them as an individual, but NOT TO SELL THEM ON!!

There was a Chibson (counterfeit Chinese Gibson) for sale on here a couple of weeks back, and as I understand it, under the law, it should not have been for sale.
I didn't point it out to the Mods, I get in enough trouble without trying :P

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1419777170' post='2642615']
There was a Chibson (counterfeit Chinese Gibson) for sale on here a couple of weeks back, and as I understand it, under the law, it should not have been for sale.
[/quote]

There are thousands of adverts on here and, with the best will in the world, we probably won't spot every single fake or con on here.

This forum is here for all of us regardless of whether we're Mods or Members, so let's join forces and make sure it stays a forum worth having.

If you see a fake or a con, or even think it might be, just click on the 'Report' button or drop me a PM if you don't want to click the button.

We look at each report on a case by case basis and we [b]NEVER[/b] reveal where the report has come from.

Lets all work together on this. :)

[quote name='dougieb' timestamp='1419778036' post='2642621']
Check this guy out [url="http://chinaguitarsceptic.com/"]http://chinaguitarsceptic.com/[/url] , he has a good info on the guitars and what to watch out for. No basses on his site only guitars.
[/quote]Link don't seem to work buddy :)

There are quite a few videos on youtube about cheap chinese instruments, one of the most important bits of advice is that you need to establish a relationship with the person you are contemplating ordering from, and ask them lots of questions in order to establish how legit they are. Personally if I wanted an inexpensive J or P backup I would go play a bunch of Squiers and pick a good one rather than blind order from china.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1419784391' post='2642679']
... Personally if I wanted an inexpensive J or P backup I would go play a bunch of Squiers and pick a good one rather than blind order from china.
[/quote]
Exactly. There are perfectly good legitimate instruments available at similar prices to these.

I was thinking of starting a business selling instruments sourced from here. There was a great deal on a Gibson Custom Shop 1957 Gold Top. I thought I'd better buy one for myself to be sure I wouldn't come a cropper.

The guitar was certainly not a Gibson and the finish was a later gold top sparkle. A nice guitar with (I am certain) Epiphone pickups etc but not a Gibson. It was ok for the money but clearly couldn't be sold as I had intended.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1419777170' post='2642615']
Quite a few guys on a certain Facebook page have used them.
Expect to change out hardware as a minimum. Some of them, you will not get the same as the purdy pictures!
Also, as I understand it, with these COUNTERFEIT goods, you are allowed to buy them as an individual, but NOT TO SELL THEM ON!!

[/quote]

You're not allowed to sell them on if you're benefiting commercially but this doesn't apply to a normal private sale. If the seller misrepresents the the item, for instance by failing to point out that a guitar marked 'Gibson' isn't what it says on the headstock then that would fall foul of the law.

It's very different for business sellers - even if it's run as a little sideline money earner - but then the 'for sale' forums aren't supposed to be for any using them for that purpose.

I sent an email asking if the one in the pic was the one for sale ( no point asking if its real !)
and shipping details time, duty, how it would be packed
this is their only reply below...

Just looking at them
if you look the sr number on the back of the head the one in the O/P is Z7030834
and the two he says he has for sale is Z7030833 and the Z7030835 with the sr number out of place which is the one i like.
( i bet the ink is still wet :lol: )
I think the two extra screws on the inner corners of the bridge is always a giveaway,

I would be getting this for me not to sell on, just to try a 5 string again as i have been playing mainly 4 string for the past 30 odd years
and it saves me taking an expensive bass out as a spare.
if he comes a bit more open to my questions i think i may well take a punt.
if i get it and eeerrr if i do get it !... i will do another review.

[b]Justin Ge[/b]: this bass sold out of store right now, but have similar model which have in store right now,
these two models

[url="http://pt.aliexpress.com/store/product/New-Arrival-High-quality-5-String-Electric-bass-guitar-jazz-bass-have-in-store-immediately-shipping/219024_32215370721.html"]http://pt.aliexpress...2215370721.html[/url]

and

[url="http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/New-Arrival-High-quality-5-String-Electric-bass-guitar-jazz-bass-have-in-store-immediately-shipping/219024_32215378416.html"]http://www.aliexpres...2215378416.html[/url]

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1419795126' post='2642773']
You're not allowed to sell them on if you're benefiting commercially but this doesn't apply to a normal private sale. If the seller misrepresents the the item, for instance by failing to point out that a guitar marked 'Gibson' isn't what it says on the headstock then that would fall foul of the law.

It's very different for business sellers - even if it's run as a little sideline money earner - but then the 'for sale' forums aren't supposed to be for any using them for that purpose.
[/quote]

Not forgetting, of course, that we reserve the right to remove adverts that are illegal or fraudulent. :)

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1419811280' post='2642977']
If you're looking for a cheap 5 string, GAK are doing the [url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/yamaha-yamaha-bb425-standard-bb-%28black/48077"]Yamaha BB425[/url] in black or white for £249 delivered. I have one arriving tomorrow hopefully
[/quote]

Had a look at this going on your recommendation thanks :drinks: checked out some youtube clips as well looks nice.
let us know what its like, a review maybe ??

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1419864778' post='2643299']
Had a look at this going on your recommendation thanks :drinks: checked out some youtube clips as well looks nice.
let us know what its like, a review maybe ??
[/quote]

Well they don't call them Parcel Farce for nothing. Had I not called them then it would've sat at the depot until the end of time. It was showing as "held" and "customer requested late delivery", both of which were pish so I called them and told them to deliver it tomorrow.

I should hopefully get it tomorrow and will give it a blast. My first 5 string since I had a Lave Pearl 5 string Stingray about 5 years ago

Several guys on a guitar forum I frequent have done it. They were placed with the results, but said that is basically only worth it if you're ordering something that you couldn't otherwise get - custom colour, unusual guitar, etc. If what you want is already available off the shelf here then that's probably wiser.