Why become a member? ×

Conquering GAS

Chiliwailer

Friends, my question is, are you GAS-less? How long has it been? What made you settled? I know some of you are well settled, can we have some inspiration please as I've been chasing basses a little while now and need to recondition myself now that I'm nearly there! Would love to hear your stories.

Today everything could be changing for me. 2009 was the last time I had a bass collection which was truly settled, I had no GAS, no other bass I could justify and all was good in the world. I had some killer basses that I loved. That is until I started selling them all off for the deposit on a flat I later bought. I sold all my collectables, early Fenders and expensive ones and was left with one workhorse bass, nothing special. But it was well worth it.

In the last 2 years I've been buying and selling my way back to a collection that sticks, and having tried and tested loads I've found 3 of those basses that are ideal for me, but one has been missing. All going well, I'll be getting the final piece of the puzzle today as I just got a pay rise, a Mike Lull P4 will do me just fine thanks.

So I've been GAS-less before and I'm looking forward to being GAS-less again. Sure, I'd like to yet again own another Stingray, fretless or fiver one day (not in the same bass!) but unlike the basses I have now I can't justify those to myself at all. I'm cash limited, space limited and have covered the main angles and styles I like play. It looks as though I may be GAS-less once again, of course you never can tell, but it'd be nice to be there again.....

Edited by Chiliwailer

I think GAS is unconqureable...

I can only see myself playing Wals from now on but now instead of gassing for other basses I just GAS for different Wals :blink:

Also GAS is not rational and even having found a a bass that works for you as an instrument you intend to play wont stop you wanting other basses... I keep looking at that ice blue Fbass in the classifieds :blink: I wouldn't want it for any parctical reason but I still want it!

oh and I also want a shergold marathon and an enfield lionheart :blink:

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1419068690' post='2636142']
I think GAS is unconqureable...

I can only see myself playing Wals from now on but now instead of gassing for other basses I just GAS for different Wals :blink:

Also GAS is not rational and even having found a a bass that works for you as an instrument you intend to play wont stop you wanting other basses... I keep looking at that ice blue Fbass in the classifieds :blink: I wouldn't want it for any parctical reason but I still want it!

oh and I also want a shergold marathon and an enfield lionheart :blink:
[/quote]

I hear you pal, GAS will never go away.

I guess I'm trying to liken it to a good solid marriage, you still fancy ladies at work, in your neighbourhood and out and about etc, but you stick with your lady regardless. That's what I'm hoping for again. At least with basses you can always play on your mates one with no come back or commitments and even go into town and mess around on some without being dodgy.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1419068957' post='2636144']
I hear you pal, GAS will never go away.

I guess I'm trying to liken it to a good solid marriage, you still fancy ladies at work, in your neighbourhood and out and about etc, but you stick with your lady regardless. That's what I'm hoping for again. At least with basses you can always play on your mates one with no come back or commitments and even go into town and mess around on some without being dodgy.
[/quote]

yeah it's not quite the same with ladies... I think playing on my mates one might indeed have some consequences..... :blink:

I do have a few on stands in the living room though and a couple in cases under the bed.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1419070118' post='2636157']
Since I fitted a J retro to my Jazz, I can't justify getting another bass. I have my Jazz and my P bass in reserve and they are all I really need.

But it doesn't stop me looking......... :)
[/quote]

This, however, a five string is next on the list and perhaps a Stingray 4HH oh and an RS112 or RS212 cab. I have conquered my pedal GAS. other than for a looper! Oh well, I thought I agreed with gjones. :D

I've got raging US Spector GAS. I just made a decision to by-pass the Euro's and go straight for the throat. However, due to having to study for an exam and do other sensible stuff like prepare for Xmas I can't find the time to visit Bass Direct. I can't believe I'm being so normal and sensible. CURSE YOU BRAIN!

Ease my mind, oh pretty thing..

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1419070568' post='2636166']
Chiliwailer - sorry to do this yo you but http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_details.cfm?ID=2804&type=Bass%20Guitar :D

Edit: too late! Just spotted your status comment about incoming P4, ha ha!
[/quote]

Haha mate, nice try!!!! Actually, that's the one I'm buying in about 45 mins.

Do you recognise it? This one used to be yours, and Legions, and Flex......it's stopping here though hopefully!

EDIT - not from the Gallery though.....or at that ridiculous price!!!!

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1419071540' post='2636176']

Haha mate, nice try!!!! Actually, that's the one I'm buying in about 45 mins.

Do you recognise it? This one used to be yours, and Legions, and Flex......it's stopping here though hopefully!

EDIT - not from the Gallery though.....or at that ridiculous price!!!!
[/quote]
Nice one. It's a truly stunning bass, my issue was I cannot cope with a 1.75" nut width or it would still be with me

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1419071839' post='2636181']

Nice one. It's a truly stunning bass, my issue was I cannot cope with a 1.75" nut width or it would still be with me
[/quote]

I know what you mean, some do rightly struggle with that width. I've had quite pre CBS or mid 60's basses with that width so I'll be right at home luckily. I tried one recently in Seattle with a Jazz neck, it was absolutely gorgeous but it just didn't scream out Precision to me, I guess old habits die hard.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1419072266' post='2636185']
This is obsessing me at present but the price is WAY beyond my budget http://www.coda-music.com/electric-guitars-c-21.html
[/quote]

Link didn't work for me, took me to all their makes, that's a bit excessive no?!

Edited by Chiliwailer

I was almost GAS free, then I paid my scrip for basschat and soon enough things were changing....
I ended up with a Warwick SS1 which is just "me" in bass format. Love it.
A very old Warwick Thumb my wife gave me is awesome and is going no where,
and a BB1200 which is amazing, ebay bargain - put bluntly if I sold that with the money I couldn't get anything near the quality... so going nowhere....

so GAS free!

with basses.... still trying to work out what I want as a rig... never played through a all valve setup and keep finding myself attracted to things that are too heavy with Glass bottles, or wanna build my own cabs, and preamp and... oh but cannae do anything at the moment as I spent most my bass money on a thunderfunk....

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1419072324' post='2636186']
Link didn't work for me, took me to all their makes, that's a bit excessive no?!
[/quote] here's the one http://www.coda-music.com/fender-custom-shop-precision-bass-nocaster-blonde-p-20423.html

I don't have GAS because I view bass gear as tools to do a job.

I do have GAS for gigging. The more gigs the better but stuff is just stuff.

When better or more appropriate gear comes along I'll check it out and if it really is an improvement I'll get one, but gear for gear's sake doesn't interest me.