Why become a member? ×

Things you should be able to play but can not.

Twincam

There is a few technically or should i say physically easy tunes that i should be able to play but for some reason can't quiet get to sound right or just can't get my head around for ages then it will click.

It's annoying me. And making me think maybe my timing or something is bad. Or is it a case of some types of rhythm suit different people. A lack of general experience maybe?.
It is very frustrating when i can play something that on paper is a lot more difficult then something relatively simple comes along and it stumps me. Especially as ive been making some progress of late.

I would be interested to know if any of you, get this.

First you need to identify what it is that you're having the problem with. That may sound daft, but usually once you do that, then you can correct it.

If it's rhythmic then it's sometimes best to break things down into individual beats, and work on each little bit.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1418493883' post='2630694']
First you need to identify what it is that you're having the problem with. That may sound daft, but usually once you do that, then you can correct it.

If it's rhythmic then it's sometimes best to break things down into individual beats, and work on each little bit.
[/quote]

I want go into detail as i could write a essay. But its mainly motown, blues and reggae. Blues and reggae i can get just takes me longer to dial in but some motown things i just can't nail. There are other genres to but alot of the time its really simple things im maybe not thinking hard enough about them were difficult bass lines i will put more effort into and practice. Ah hold on think i just found the problem not practicing the simpler stuff and thinking i should just be able to do this. Ah well problem solved.

Interested to hear if anyone has any easy track they struggle with that they should on paper so to say be able to nail.

Motown stuff is deceptively hard.

The rhythms are tricking, and Jamerson was coming from a jazz background, so there's often a lot of chromaticism in his lines that can be awkward to play.

Best is to break tricky bits down to a bar or even a beat at a time.

:)

The obvious mistake is thinking things are easy, as someone that doesnt play much motown and not much more reggae I wouldn't say either are easy, they sound like they should be! There will be some excellent players on this site that can nail stuff I could only dream of, give them a pick and give them an acdc number and it goes to pieces, could be technically perfect but the x factor missing, very few drummers can play a solid 4 beat in a similar vein and they start playing 8 on the hats ime. Norman Watt Roy and Nathan Watts make everything look easy yet we know otherwise!

I always sit down to learn 'Sir Duke' and give up.

That's my issue, I'm an impatient bastard.

I'm sure if I depped or was asked to play it with the band at a birthday or event, I'd sit down and nail it.

I really do suffer from an economy of enthusiasm issue at times; its a terrible habit.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1418493510' post='2630688']
There is a few technically or should i say physically easy tunes that i should be able to play but for some reason can't quiet get to sound right or just can't get my head around for ages then it will click.

It's annoying me. And making me think maybe my timing or something is bad. Or is it a case of some types of rhythm suit different people. A lack of general experience maybe?.
It is very frustrating when i can play something that on paper is a lot more difficult then something relatively simple comes along and it stumps me. Especially as ive been making some progress of late.

I would be interested to know if any of you, get this.
[/quote]
Stop struggling and you will float......

I can tell that the first thing you need to [i]learn [/i]is[i] to relax[/i].... [i]its [/i]all [i]about having fun[/i].

I stay away from reggae as it isn't something I connect to so can't see beyond very basic parts.
I just don't hear it, not interested in listening to it so it's best we just don't.
I think it is best to know where your musical bent sits and, for example,
proggy guys can't get funky. Massive generalisation, of course, but altho
they get the notes, they just can't get it to move. This is a very common no-no, IME.
So..if you have a decent technique that should allow you to attempt most things,
it is really your empathy with it that will carry it off well.

Trying to cover too many bases is a common problem for players in covers band.

This is why I tend to try and fit my 'thing' to tracks rather than the other way round.

The triplets in "Roadhouse Blues". The worst thing is that there's a youtube video (the "how to play bass" guy) who describes it as "beginner" level! B*****d :angry:

I really struggle with a lot of funk style stuff. Although I can nail the notes, the feel is real struggle and I'm at a bit of a loss for how to fix it. Just not in me I suppose.

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1418548088' post='2630982']
I think it is best to know where your musical bent sits and, for example,
proggy guys can't get funky. Massive generalisation, of course, but altho
they get the notes, they just can't get it to move.
[/quote]

I am in a prog group, and I am in another group that does quite a bit of funk stuff, and never had any problem with either.
While they are obviously different, they don't really seem that far apart to be honest. I enjoy them equally (the styles not the groups)

But I get where you are coming from with the 'not feeling it' thing. There are some stereophonics songs we do that I have a problem with as they are so incredibly forgettable, that by the time it comes to play it, I can remember how to play it but I have forgotten how they go!

And all along the watchtower - I really can't get that. Enough to play it but not enough to really feel it.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1418549548' post='2631004']
I am in a prog group, and I am in another group that does quite a bit of funk stuff, and never had any problem with either.
While they are obviously different, they don't really seem that far apart to be honest. I enjoy them equally (the styles not the groups)

But I get where you are coming from with the 'not feeling it' thing. There are some stereophonics songs we do that I have a problem with as they are so incredibly forgettable, that by the time it comes to play it, I can remember how to play it but I have forgotten how they go!

And all along the watchtower - I really can't get that. Enough to play it but not enough to really feel it.
[/quote]

One thing I tend to avoid... prog and funk as I can recall pretty decent players not getting it at all...
I could reel of a whole host of guys around here that are very well regarded but just can't do it..
To me, prog and funk are pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum with what you need to bring to the table..
but I guess it depends on defintions and degrees...

As for standards like Watchtower, I have no idea how I will play it until bar 1 when the drums start..and that is how I appoach
most things. ..but it is up to us to make it work. A great drummer will have his take on it and if we work as a section, we'll work it out.
The drummers I tend to have most problems with are the guys who say it goes like this..and play the record..as only the very few can
get it like the record of top recording guys. I am working with the drummer, not for..!!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1418550133' post='2631009']
One thing I tend to avoid... prog and funk as I can recall pretty decent players not getting it at all...
I could reel of a whole host of guys around here that are very well regarded but just can't do it..
To me, prog and funk are pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum with what you need to bring to the table..
but I guess it depends on defintions and degrees...
[/quote]

As you say, I guess it depends on what you like - I have always loved prog and funk, so never had an issue with either. But then I have the advantage of not being well regarded :D

Funk and soul can be a bit tricky to get the timing, and hence the feel right. You need a good drummer for that. I quite enjoy a bit of walking bass, but then I learnt a lot of scales, arpeggios and cadences as a kid on various instruments. The one style I can't do is slap - I like a bit of Level 42 but never felt the desire to do it myself (heard too many music shop slapathons as a young newbie probably - it leaves me cold)

They play the notes but they just haven't got it...
Same with prog drummers ... just don't get funky.
I really think the difference is hearing it and HEARING it...
You need a good funk player to nail 'get lucky' otherwise
if really really sucks. Outside of the funk genre, these are
very good players.
Horses for courses... I don't do metal or reggae but at least I know
not to try..
TBF, tho... for a fucntion gig, they don't get the chance to veto the song..!!
and this probably applies to a lot of 'fish out of water' guys..

Funniest and most tragic redition recently was a metal guy trying to play
'Sweet home alabama' :lol: :lol: