Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm sure it's lovely, but £1200?

cameltoe

[i]Way[/i] over the odds, imho. Even the best P Bass is still just a P Bass at the end of the day.
I think even £500 would be pushing it a bit.

Note 1: If this is a BassChatter's listing, then it's a total bargain and someone should buy it immediately!!
Note 2: When someone goes to the trouble to add 'No Returns' to a listing it makes me suspicious.

Edited by discreet

A full nitro refinish and professional relic job won't have been cheap.

The problem with this sort of job is that the cost of the work and parts are invariably more than the final value of the instrument.

However, if the finish is really nice, it plays well and sounds good then it could fetch a decent price.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1418469001' post='2630417']
Note 2: When someone goes to the trouble to add 'No Returns' to a listing it makes me suspicious.
[/quote]
Particularly when they're too lazy to even be bothered to post the bloody thing. :rolleyes:

Having said that, after a buyer broke a guitar I sold, badly repacked it & posted it back to me unsolicited - [i]then[/i] made a claim against me saying I'd sold him a damaged item, I started adding "no returns". Ebay can be a nightmare for sellers.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1418472501' post='2630454']
Ebay can be a nightmare for sellers.
[/quote]

No doubt. I did a bit of eBay trading a while back, but eBay/PayPal treat sellers like scum and everything is biased towards the whims of the buyer. Which is strange when you consider that buyers make no contribution to eBay/PayPal's great wealth - only sellers do.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1418472336' post='2630451']
A full nitro refinish and professional relic job won't have been cheap.
[/quote]

No, but would you pay more than double the expected price for an instrument that had been refinished than one that hadn't?

He's blatantly trying to recoup his costs. Which he won't!

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1418472501' post='2630454']

Particularly when they're too lazy to even be bothered to post the bloody thing. :rolleyes:

Having said that, after a buyer broke a guitar I sold, badly repacked it & posted it back to me unsolicited - [i]then[/i] made a claim against me saying I'd sold him a damaged item, I started adding "no returns". Ebay can be a nightmare for sellers.

Jon.
[/quote]

Too true, and half the time eBay just take the buyers word for it, without a shred of proof. The seller has to stump up all the evidence, and then eBay will still side with the buyer.

Maybe we should launch a campaign? We could experiment- order something from eBay, wait til it turns up, then put a hammer through it. Claim it was broken on arrival and keep quiet from then on. See if we get our money back. Could also try saying it didn't arrive, etc. with another product.

Could film the whole thing for a later YouTube video to blow the lid on their evil ways!

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1418474321' post='2630477']
Could film the whole thing for a later YouTube video to blow the lid on their evil ways!
[/quote]

I fear everyone already knows about their evil ways and it would make not a jot of difference.
It's the golden rule - whoever has the gold, makes the rules. :(

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1418510987' post='2630877']

You say this as if it's a bad thing?
[/quote]

Of course it is, for the buyer.

To put it into context- I'll buy a Squier Affinity for £100. Spend £300 on having it fully professionally refinished in candy apple red.

I'd like £400 for it please. You buying?

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1418552879' post='2631043']

Of course it is, for the buyer.

To put it into context- I'll buy a Squier Affinity for £100. Spend £300 on having it fully professionally refinished in candy apple red.

I'd like £400 for it please. You buying?
[/quote]

If it's a deeply dripping lustrous nitro re-fin and Candy Apple Red is my favourite colour then a simple yes would be the answer.

I don't understand the level of negativity on this forum when someone 'blatantly' tries to recoup what they've spent on something.

Do I think its overpriced? Probably yes, but I don't think there's anything so desperately wrong in trying to get your money back if you've invested a lot of time and energy in a project.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1418553591' post='2631052']
...I don't think there's anything so desperately wrong in trying to get your money back if you've invested a lot of time and energy in a project.
[/quote]

Nor do I, and if you really like the refin, then all's well. But if you're just looking for a decent Jap P Bass and the finish isn't in your top three most important buying parameters, then I'd say it's too expensive. As usual, the market will decide! :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1418553591' post='2631052']

If it's a deeply dripping lustrous nitro re-fin and Candy Apple Red is my favourite colour then a simple yes would be the answer.

I don't understand the level of negativity on this forum when someone 'blatantly' tries to recoup what they've spent on something.

Do I think its overpriced? Probably yes, but I don't think there's anything so desperately wrong in trying to get your money back if you've invested a lot of time and energy in a project.
[/quote]

Then you sound like exactly the type of person the seller is targeting.

I'd rather stick to the average prices I see late 80's MIJ P basses go for, which is around £400.

You can spend that on your new Affinity!

No negativity, please take this forum in the spirit it is intended!

I'm just trying to find a way to explain £1200 for this instrument. The only way it can be explained, is by the seller trying to fill the hole in his bank account. There's not £1200 worth of value in this instrument in my opinion, when you look at the current market. And that is my opinion.

Even a Clive Brown ( the master of relics) refin would be a rip off at that price. 1200 for a Jap bass with an arguably good refin? You'd need to be really into it, brave or full of cash to buy that one. Fair enough if you do, but really?

People do all these changes to their basses and end up still not wanting them! Why should others pay the full cost of that, it's still a second hand job isn't it?

Edited again as Ive just looked at the pics once more and it really is an average refin. How this price be can be defended is beyond me. A £450 bass with a £750 'upgrade' it is not. Top whack this should be £650 - £700 surely? Even then, it'd take a certain buyer to go for it so could potentially hang around. Would I pay that much? Hell no.

Edited by Chiliwailer

Nothing wrong with [i]trying[/i] to get your money back. If he's [i]expecting[/i] to get it back however then he's deluding himself (unless some poor buyer falls for it, in which case my sympathies would be with the buyer).

To look at it another way however: He's also got a best offer option. There has just been an expose about shops claiming false savings. Eg shops inflating the quoted RRP so that their 'sale' price looks better, and you could accuse this person of doing the same thing. By putting a buy it now price he will give the impression, to the unwary, that it is worth £1200, and they may be tempted to make an offer of £1000, thinking they're getting a bargain.

This could be a pretty cynical attempt to sell it for an inflated price, which would be illegal if a shop was doing it.

A slightly different subject: I have just bought a small smoke machine on Ebay for a NYE party (about £35). Looking at the prices quoted, there were around 10 10 sellers selling the same model for very similar prices, and then one for around £75? Has the seller made a mistake, or is he, "well I only have to sucker a few people in at this price" and I'm quids in??

Edited by Count Bassy