Why become a member? ×

Colour of the cable...

Guest BeardyBob

[quote name='BeardyBob' timestamp='1418194323' post='2627772']
oh, so you're not interested in my results?
[/quote]

Cable capacitance makes a difference - good cables with low capacitance pass essentially all of the signal (and in particular the high frequencies) whereas poorer quality cables with higher capacitance attenuate the higher frequencies. A passive tone control employs a fixed capacitor with a potentiometer to roll off high frequencies which is why you don't want to add another one (in the form of a poor quality cable). That's why some cables sound better/different to others, so capacitance is important as is how well shielded they are and the integrity of the jack plugs.

But yeah, has to be black for me...

[quote name='Simon.' timestamp='1418205593' post='2627869']

[color=#222222]Used to happen at a place I previously worked at. A lot. The store man eventually took pity on one poor lad who was sent round to get a replacement bubble for a spirit level - disassembled a spare level and gave him the glass bulb to take back. Was the last time that lad was sent on an errand.[/color]
[/quote]
I've heard a similar tale where the bloke sent the lad for a pound of glass nails from the hardware shop, he gave him a pound in money (this is the seventies) but it totally backfired when the lad returned with a pound in cost of tacks for holding in glass pains as the shop keeper thought that was probably what he wanted! Served him right, lol

Guest BeardyBob

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1418197375' post='2627779']
Are they all the same brand of cable and the same cross sectional area of core and identical shielding, all exactly the same length with identical connectors on both ends?
[/quote]

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1418197867' post='2627784']
Are all of the cables you tested of the same specification?
[/quote]

I'm hardly going to stay up all night without making it scientific, chaps! Same stripped van damnit cable with neutrik connectors, same stands, position & test equip, different sheathing.

The differences in a darkened room were negligible versus colour. The differences with daylight lamp @ 2m were plotted.

Thinking about it I need to check the weight of sheathings & guess plot each one versus its darkened state.

#nonbelievers

In the print industry the apprentices were sent for a "jar of half-tone dots" :lol:

Not really the same but similar, at school the French teacher picked out a lad to go to the shop with a pound to get him a new red pen - and he could keep the change for going.
The lad came back with a bag of cream cakes, "where's my pen?" said the teacher, "oh they had no red ones" he said back. Simon Martin - legend!

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1418216450' post='2628021']
Nah! You just need some copper pipe from B&Q and arrange it like this..... [url="http://www.earthbornerising.com/Pyramids.html"]http://www.earthborn...m/Pyramids.html[/url]
[/quote]
These work a treat. 15 minutes in one of these and I could play like John Paul Jones.

Edited by pfretrock

[quote name='BeardyBob' timestamp='1418209571' post='2627920']

I'm hardly going to stay up all night without making it scientific, chaps! Same stripped van damnit cable with neutrik connectors, same stands, position & test equip, different sheathing.

The differences in a darkened room were negligible versus colour. The differences with daylight lamp @ 2m were plotted.

Thinking about it I need to check the weight of sheathings & guess plot each one versus its darkened state.

#nonbelievers
[/quote]
I think you might find you will end up in a darkened room at this rate, probably with padded walls :lol:

You do realise there is a massive floor in your test? Heat. Temperature has a direct relation to the conductivity of the cables so the whole test needs to be done with the cables at the same temperature with and without the light source.

Guest BeardyBob

if there wasn't a floor it would've been much more difficult!

mmm, sparkling highs. I've bypassed the horn on my cab now, sounds 'warm' and 'airy' with the Magenta cable!

[quote name='BeardyBob' timestamp='1418223662' post='2628113']
if there wasn't a floor it would've been much more difficult!

mmm, sparkling highs. I've bypassed the horn on my cab now, sounds 'warm' and 'airy' with the Magenta cable!
[/quote]

I think Pete meant 'Flaw' Although I agree with you that without a floor it would go through the roof!!

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1418212896' post='2627971']
In the print industry the apprentices were sent for a "jar of half-tone dots" :lol:

Not really the same but similar, at school the French teacher picked out a lad to go to the shop with a pound to get him a new red pen - and he could keep the change for going.
The lad came back with a bag of cream cakes, "where's my pen?" said the teacher, "oh they had no red ones" he said back. Simon Martin - legend!
[/quote]

Oh I worked in a large printers i was 16 and so green.

I got sent looking for a wire mesh oil can!, lol. In my mind this was a normal oil can with some sort of filter system. So in my mind this thing was real. Went round the whole factory and eventually then sent to the actual bosses office. He was not amused at all. And when i went in shame back to the floor there was at least 50 people laughing at me.

Funny thing was i excepted it for what it was laughed myself and it was never mentioned again. Inside i still cringe at that one!

The next week another new lad was also sent to the bosses office where we told him the boss was called Mr Hucknall. He wasn't but he looked just like Mick Hucknall and he hated being told that. So this young lad goes in and actually calls him Mr Hucknall. I was just happy that i wasn't the only fool in there.