Why become a member? ×

Shuker Mega thread

Tinman

[quote name='whynot' post='257636' date='Aug 7 2008, 10:03 PM']Some very nice basses posted so far.
Well I've had this one for sometime now so an ideal opportunity to share.
Unfortunately I don't have any images of the whole bass apart from live pics but I'm sure you don't want my face spoiling it. Your not missing much else though as it's headless.

[/quote]

Blimey you kept this quiet, nice to see another lefty and a stunner at that!

[quote name='Bassmonster' post='259135' date='Aug 10 2008, 09:14 AM']Blimey you kept this quiet, nice to see another lefty and a stunner at that![/quote]
I'm sure I mentioned this bass in another thread, but could be wrong.
I'll be using this one doing some recording next month for Korg. They are looking for new bass samples to include in future sound modules/keyboards.

[quote name='whynot' post='257636' date='Aug 7 2008, 10:03 PM']Some very nice basses posted so far.
Well I've had this one for sometime now so an ideal opportunity to share.
Unfortunately I don't have any images of the whole bass apart from live pics but I'm sure you don't want my face spoiling it. Your not missing much else though as it's headless.

[/quote]Hi Alan that is very nice and very similar to the Sei, how do they compare?

[quote name='Sean.Robinson' post='264151' date='Aug 17 2008, 08:25 PM']great idea, are there any Shukers with dark tops so i can get ideas for my own :), crotch walnut if anyone wants to go the extra mile :huh:[/quote]

[url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/"]http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/[/url]

If you click on each of the bass model types across the top of the page, each has a 'gallery'. I found a good few with dark tops in different designs for you to look at.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='263909' date='Aug 17 2008, 12:22 PM']Hi Alan that is very nice and very similar to the Sei, how do they compare?[/quote]

Hi Steve,
Build quality and construction pretty similar compared to my old SEI original. Although dare I say the pickup routing and finish on the Shuker wins by a whisker. Both side leds. Neck is a little more stable on the Shuker which may be down to the 2 graphite inserts.
The Shuker sits back into the body a little more which suits me. I went for a slightly wider string spacing than the SEI.
Soundwise the Shuker is more of an all rounder which is what I wanted from a 5 string at this time. Thats more to do with the pickups and circuit though.
I was considering changing these on the SEI but got the new bass bug again.
I can't take anything away from Martin at SEI as I've had 5 new and used since the early 90s but I would have paid minimum an extra £500 to have the same spec bass by SEI.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='259033' date='Aug 9 2008, 09:10 PM']I was at Jons on Thurday and saw it there: I'm doing a build your own with him in September, a 5 string Jazz style and was looking at woods...[/quote]

this is a great course, i did it a few months ago, i've posted the build diary earlier in this thread, i'm sure your gonna love it! did you choose a wood? there are some nice woods in the shuker woodstore if you like that kind of thing.

[quote name='BeLow' post='263786' date='Aug 16 2008, 11:07 PM']Tinman are you still with the Battle of Britain flight - saw them fly over the road we were driving on Thursday afternoon (lovely). Almost crashed when the Typhoon came over.[/quote]

Not anymore mate, I'm actually on the Typhoons now, noisy beggars :)

[quote name='Sean.Robinson' post='264179' date='Aug 17 2008, 09:08 PM']If the top is in the first half they certainly do :huh:[/quote]
Ah well, just for the sake of any doubt :)...

I hope to use it on the TV spot that my band *might* be doing in October. But its up to Jon to finish it in time.

[quote name='lwtait' post='268756' date='Aug 24 2008, 10:00 AM']this is a great course, i did it a few months ago, i've posted the build diary earlier in this thread, i'm sure your gonna love it! did you choose a wood? there are some nice woods in the shuker woodstore if you like that kind of thing.[/quote]

Yes, but it was a bit like being in an (ahem allegedly) adult book store: all these different woods, and all that choice!
Jons going to look some woods out for me to finally chooose from when I start it in September.

[quote name='Sean.Robinson' post='264151' date='Aug 17 2008, 08:25 PM']great idea, are there any Shukers with dark tops so i can get ideas for my own :), crotch walnut if anyone wants to go the extra mile :huh:[/quote]

Mine will have a dark top when its finsihed! Asian Striped Ebony - which looks like this so far (if we're allowed to post unfinished Shukers!):

[quote name='simon1964' post='272942' date='Aug 30 2008, 12:34 AM']Mine will have a dark top when its finsihed! Asian Striped Ebony - which looks like this so far (if we're allowed to post unfinished Shukers!):[/quote]

Hot Damn! :ph34r:

• 6 months later...

[b]Whynot [/b]- Awesome looking bass dude, shame it's the wrong way round :)

Quick question, how close a sound can you get to a proper Musicman Stingray with the MM pickup?
I played a Stingray 5 for the first time tonight and I think I'm in love...

Cheers,
Eude

Top wood is Camphor Burr.

With the right eq the MM pickup does come close to a genuine Musicman but is not the same.
A number of factors including the bass construction and circuit come into play here, but it is capable of coming close to the punch of a MM. Dial in a little J and it gets a little warmer which is how I like it.

Well my visit to Jon's wasn't as fruit as I'd hoped. The guitar still needed the bridge fitting and Jon didn't have any neck bolts with a metric thread. However its coming together none the less. He's used a less figured piece from the redwood I gave him to use for my Headless 6.

[attachment=22866:DSC01760.JPG]

The guitar will be posted on Monday just before Jon goes to Frankfurt for the MusikMesse next week. Ruby seemed to be in a really soppy mood today as well. Jon and I were keeping her amused while we waited for the CNC machine to finish a run of coasters for one of the craft shops in Bamford.

[attachment=22867:DSC01755.JPG] [attachment=22868:DSC01758.JPG]

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='447742' date='Mar 27 2009, 09:22 PM']Well my visit to Jon's wasn't as fruit as I'd hoped. The guitar still needed the bridge fitting and Jon didn't have any neck bolts with a metric thread. However its coming together none the less. He's used a less figured piece from the redwood I gave him to use for my Headless 6.

[attachment=22866:DSC01760.JPG]

The guitar will be posted on Monday just before Jon goes to Frankfurt for the MusikMesse next week. Ruby seemed to be in a really soppy mood today as well. Jon and I were keeping her amused while we waited for the CNC machine to finish a run of coasters for one of the craft shops in Bamford.

[attachment=22867:DSC01755.JPG] [attachment=22868:DSC01758.JPG][/quote]

That dog is amazing! She looks well tough but i reckon she would melt away with a tummy rub!

All these basses look great, looks like they are all worth the wait.