Why become a member? ×

Shuker Mega thread

Tinman

[quote name='cocco' post='1112588' date='Feb 2 2011, 04:18 PM']I paid £1,200 for mine, list price was £1,350 but it was a stock bass, I'm sure Doddy or niceguyhomer could give you a more realistic ball park figure :)[/quote]
Bargain mate. Well worth it.
I paid £850 for mine with a hiscox case and I asked Jon to change the hardware to black. It's listed on the stock page for £1450.

Edited by chilievans

[quote name='cocco' post='1112588' date='Feb 2 2011, 04:18 PM']I paid £1,200 for mine, list price was £1,350 but it was a stock bass, I'm sure Doddy or niceguyhomer could give you a more realistic ball park figure :)[/quote]

I got mine secondhand for under £900,so I'm no use to ask.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1112763' date='Feb 2 2011, 06:24 PM']not sure why I haven't put my custom up:

[attachment=70923:Shuker6.jpg]
[attachment=70924:Shuker1.jpg]
[attachment=70925:Shuker5.jpg]
[attachment=70926:Shuker3.jpg]
[attachment=70927:Shuker4.jpg][/quote]

Love this Bass! One of these days I gotta see it in the flesh mate!

[quote name='purpleblob' post='1113005' date='Feb 2 2011, 09:07 PM']That is VERY interesting. I've never been a fan of headless basses, but that really uses the whole headless concept to the nth degree. It's definitely feature rich.[/quote]

an extra 2 frets for the E string and a bendwell for the other strings :)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1111374' date='Feb 1 2011, 06:10 PM']Sell me your missus - mine won't let me buy another bass and I've only got one FFS :)[/quote]

Now there's your problem - never discussed basses with the wife. They just appear :)

She did ask how much the Dingwall cost, seemed happy at £60. Just neglected to add 'a month' :lol:

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1112763' date='Feb 2 2011, 06:24 PM']not sure why I haven't put my custom up:

[attachment=70923:Shuker6.jpg]
[attachment=70924:Shuker1.jpg]
[attachment=70925:Shuker5.jpg]
[attachment=70926:Shuker3.jpg]
[attachment=70927:Shuker4.jpg][/quote]

Does the handle looking cut out serve a purpose?

Edit or it it an aesthetic thing? I always wondered that about the gem guitar too

Edited by cocco

[quote name='purpleblob' post='1113548' date='Feb 3 2011, 10:18 AM']Indeed and is that a scalloped fingerboard for the D & G strings in the highest 7 frets ?[/quote]

Billy Sheehan has his top 5 scalloped but as I've got a 2 octave neck I thought I'd best have a couple more :)

[quote name='cocco' post='1113816' date='Feb 3 2011, 01:20 PM']Does the handle looking cut out serve a purpose?

Edit or it it an aesthetic thing? I always wondered that about the gem guitar too[/quote]

no purpose other than I can throw it about a bit and pose :) I do like the aesthetic though.

Edited by MacDaddy

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1113861' date='Feb 3 2011, 01:51 PM']Billy Sheehan has his top 5 scalloped but as I've got a 2 octave neck I thought I'd best have a couple more :)[/quote]

Excellent ! :)

Yes I see the influence of Vai along with the cut out handle - it's not a bad idea for carting the instrument around.

This is probably the most interesting feature rich instrument I've seen in a while, well done to you.

[quote name='purpleblob' post='1113961' date='Feb 3 2011, 03:07 PM']This is probably the most interesting feature rich instrument I've seen in a while, well done to you.[/quote]

yet deceptive in it's simplicity - only 1 pup and just a volume control (the other pot is for the LED's).

[quote name='wizbat' post='1114173' date='Feb 3 2011, 05:24 PM']Macdaddy, That bass is superb!!![/quote]

thanks *blush*

Your not the only one! I had a play on it, and it was just out of this world! :)

[quote name='cocco' post='1119490' date='Feb 7 2011, 09:25 PM']Does anyone know what became of the fretless uberhorn with the mega fingerboard? I'd love to get my hands on it![/quote]

Posted a pic of my Shuker headless before somewhere, but don't really need an excuse to do again.
Second pic is of my incoming Shuker J5 which hopefully would have seen it's first gig by the end of February.
Only have one picture so a build diary would have been a little short.

Cheers guys,
The J facing is Kingwood. I wanted something darkish but quite busy as I'm going for black hardware.

The headless circuit is Jon's own. Pretty standard controls as in 3 band eq, Vol, Bal. The smaller knob is an external dimmer for the side leds.
Switches are active/passive and coil tap.

[quote name='cocco' post='1124465' date='Feb 11 2011, 10:28 PM']Cool man :) it'll be nice to see what the J looks like finished. What spec have you gone for pickups/electronics and neck wise?[/quote]
Going back to my Bartolini J days, so Bart split-coil Js. Glockenklang 3 band eq.
Neck is 34" shallow C shape. 45mm width at nut. 17.5 string spacing bridge. Madagascan rosewood board.
Will post pictures when received.

[quote name='cocco' post='1120709' date='Feb 8 2011, 10:02 PM']Ooooh :) how'd she handle? Was/is it piezo only?[/quote]

I seem to recall him saying there was a pickup under the fretboard and that it was a nightmare to do!

Without wanting to sound cliche, it was the smoothest, most effortless bass i've ever laid hands on! It's the only bass that makes the term 'like butter' make sense. :)