Why become a member? ×

Decals?

danbowskill

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1415275671' post='2598636']
Don Van Vilet can get away with it because he's from the US. Most of us on here aren't.
[/quote]

Decal is an abbreviation of [i]decalcomania[/i], which is the English version of the French word [i]décalcomanie.[/i] Refers to a technique invented by the French engraver Simon François Ravenet in a process he called "décalquer" ('to copy by tracing').
So it's about as American as boeuf bourguignon :)

Well northwest won't ever be doing them again! They told me they had received a threatening legal letter from fender!...waiting to hear back from Crox.
I very much doubt fender decals are really going to effect fenders profits.....all seems a bit petty!

Edited by danbowskill

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1415283062' post='2598734']
Decal is an abbreviation of [i]decalcomania[/i], which is the English version of the French word [i]décalcomanie.[/i] Refers to a technique invented by the French engraver Simon François Ravenet in a process he called "décalquer" ('to copy by tracing').
So it's about as American as boeuf bourguignon :)
[/quote]

Exactly - it's an American abbreviation. They like that sort of thing. In the UK we get on an call it what it is: a transfer.

You can call it a transfer if you want. I call it a decal, and have done so since my very first clumsily-glued-together Spitfire. If it's good enough for Airfix, it's good enough for me :lol:
Back on topic for a second -- I'll have a quick rummage at home later, I might still have a 70s P [b]decal[/b] lurking somewhere. Can't promise anything.

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1415291186' post='2598880']
You can call it a transfer if you want. I call it a decal, and have done so since my very first clumsily-glued-together Spitfire. If it's good enough for Airfix, it's good enough for me :lol:
[/quote]

It was a while ago, but I'm pretty certain that back in the days when I used to make Airfix kits they were called transfers.

I got a couple of Airfix kits for my 7-year old last Xmas. The Mosquito/Me262 "Dogfight Doubles" one, and a Spitfire.

Needless to say, I ended up painting and making them whilst pretending to let him help. I wish they'd had Superglue when I was small - far easier than "polystyrene cement" with rubber bands holding fuselages together til it dried.

Anyway, I'd like to note that the decals/transfers you get with them nowadays are RUBBISH. They all lasted about two days, dried up and fell off.

I haven't made a model aeroplane for donkey's ages. In fact one of the last ones I did was a Matchbox Spitfire Mk.24, the 1:32 scale one. Really took my time over it and the results were, if I say so myself, bloody good. The level of detail on that big Griffon engine was superb. It's now long gone unfortunately, but I could quite fancy building another. In fact I see there's one on fleaBay for a tenner... and some upgrade bits too... hmmm...

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1415364953' post='2599615']
I haven't made a model aeroplane for donkey's ages. In fact one of the last ones I did was a Matchbox Spitfire Mk.24, the 1:32 scale one. Really took my time over it and the results were, if I say so myself, bloody good. The level of detail on that big Griffon engine was superb. It's now long gone unfortunately, but I could quite fancy building another. In fact I see there's one on fleaBay for a tenner... and some upgrade bits too... hmmm...
[/quote]

It's obvious you have too much time on your hands as you're on Basschat, but this proves it. :D

Edited by discreet

After years of making a bodge of Airfix kits and being left in the shade by my brother (who used to win competitions with them) I decided to build a BMW R69 motorcycle kit properly. I laid out my work space, had a craft knife, sandpaper, glue, all the paints and everything. I painted all the parts on the sprue then sanding off the remainder when removed to touch up.

All was going swimmingly until I started having problems putting in the shaft drive. There was no hole for it to locate into the engine. I spent hours studying the plans and thinking that the hole must not have been formed properly and there must be a fault with the kit.

Till I realised I'd glued the engine back to front in the frame. D'oh!

And in the bin it went.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1415474697' post='2600788']
And in the bin it went.
[/quote]

There is an ineffable [i]tristesse[/i] about this post that makes me want to stare at fallen autumn leaves.
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[size=4][quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1415474697' post='2600788']...
And in the bin it went.
[/quote]
[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1415475626' post='2600799']
There is an ineffable [i]tristesse[/i] about this post that makes me want to stare at fallen autumn leaves.[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]

I, too, am moved but, as one Stoic to another...[/size]

[size=4][attachment=175870:Dont_Cry.jpg][/size]

[size=4](...and it's 'transfers'... :mellow: )[/size]

Edited by Dad3353