Why become a member? ×

Hello from tks Engineering!

tks.se

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to Basschat Tommy. I must say your cabs look brilliant.
Unfortunately I'm one of those "Magpie" Bass Players that likes shiny new things in fancy colours and the custom options you offer aren't helping me! Now, do I go all white with the oxblood cloth or red with the black/silver grill cloth. Decisions, decisions.

Edited by largo

I am being very very tempted by these cabs... I have not had the chance to try any in person, having missed m chance a few months ago, but three things make me keep coming back to the TKS page...

1) Continued positive reviews from people who have enough experience to know, and some of which have tried some of the same cabs I have tried and they preferred TKS...

2) Crucially, I can find a couple of offerings that would allow me to build a very decent rig where I can fit TWO cabs in the boot of my car. My boot is about 55-56cm deep, and the cabs are 52cm tall: PERFECT.

3) Shiny: I can get them in red, ooooh! :gas: :P

I was initially attracted to the H112 and newer H115 cabs, which have very similar sizes. But it seems the H112 is no longer available, however the 1126 is the same size as the H112 and the specs look more interesting (except perhaps have lower sensitivity?).

So, I'm very tempted to bite the bullet and choose either 2x H115 or 2x 1126, and see what happens. My current rig works well enough. I'm not "in love" with it, but it's light and compact enough, and louder than I need. However, it's a bit of a hassle to transport as only one cab fits in the boot of my car and I don't like leaving things on the backseat in case it tempts someone into breaking in... A slightly smaller yet powerful rig (such as either of those two combinations) would be very welcome. And red! :lol:

It's hard to describe the sound I go for... but I'll try. I use mostly a Stingray or a Jazz, although lately a Precision has been creeping in. I like midrange, and a solid bottom end but with definition: bridge pickups are my friends. My main band has a very eclectic style, that's some kind of fusion of ska and funk, mostly. We're not quiet: 3-piece brass section and 3 guitars, as well as drums and myself, with three vocalists. But we're not crazy loud. I use a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 mostly, and I don't make it work very hard using a 1x15 and a 1x12 cab. I don't mind a rig that might not get quite as loud, but is smaller and easier to carry, as long as it still has a reasonable bottom end (sometimes smaller cabs are a disappointment that way) even if I don't need tons of it.

I wonder if anyone has experienced the 1126 and/or H115 and could steer me towards one or the other. It's very unlikely I'll be able to try before I buy, so it's going to be a bit of a gamble.
I'm leaning towards the H115, because I just have this warm memory of 15" speakers (I know, it probably means little), and looking at the displacement numbers it probably sounds "bigger" and louder than the 1126... and it's cheaper ;) but the specs of the 1126 also look interesting, and although I don't play normally with a lot of top end, it looks like it might be a little less dark than the H115, and perhaps offer better definition and a more "modern" sound?
Hmmm...

Help! :)

PS: Love the handles ;)

I'm going to take a shot and suggest a pr of S112's...
They don't lack low end, but the aren't HUGE... and if you want to
hear a jazz, typically, you'll need cabs which speak well higher.
The S112's do this probably better than Bergs and SL's, IMO, and
maybe trade a little low end to be able to do that. This is not a loss as
far as I am concerned,

Try and find WOT's video of his jazz through an S112 and that is how they sound LOUD.
I believe the cabs sensitivity makes them ball park louder than the 1126 with the same amp and level,
if I understood TKS's explaination, but the 1126 can be pushed harder with a louder amp.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1416331086' post='2609126']
I'm going to take a shot and suggest a pr of S112's...
They don't lack low end, but the aren't HUGE... [u][b]and if you want to
hear a jazz, typically, you'll need cabs which speak well higher[/b][/u].
The S112's do this probably better than Bergs and SL's, IMO, and
maybe trade a little low end to be able to do that. This is not a loss as
far as I am concerned,

Try and find WOT's video of his jazz through an S112 and that is how they sound LOUD.
I believe the cabs sensitivity makes them ball park louder than the 1126 with the same amp and level,
if I understood TKS's explaination, but the 1126 can be pushed harder with a louder amp.
[/quote]

I use a Jazz mostly with the bridge pickup only, so it's not your typical Jazz scooped sound with both pickups on. I might blend in a bit towards the neck sometimes - I have a J-Retro, which gives me a blend and I can fatten up with the onboard EQ, so it ends up being just a bit higher than a Stingray, really.

You really like the S112s eh? I like their price ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1416334381' post='2609165']

You really like the S112s eh? I like their price ;)
[/quote]

I do.... I had my East bass boost whacked right up at one point...just to see... and that was BIG; too big for me
as I don't think bass needs +15bd, tbh.

I keep going back to that clear mid of the S112... and because the cab is a single speaker tuned higher, IMO,
you don't get the 'gap' between a tuned lower chassis coupled with a tweeter for the higher end that is so typical.
I totally get why people could contemplate not having a horn... which is not something I would ever agree
to with other 12" boxes I've used. So, I'll probably go with at least 1 horn, just for comforts sake.

Ok, so I'm biased as I work at the UK dealer that sells these but I gigged the demo S112's on Saturday night and thought they were great!

Didn't go above 9 o'clock on my amp (which is usually set at around 12 with a single 4 ohm cab) and it was easily loud enough.

To be honest I really didn't need a 2nd one even though I was playing with a drummer with a 'real' kit instead of our usual guy who uses a Roland electronic setup.

it's possible the height of the 2nd speaker was helping a lot here though. I had the cabs stacked vertically which brought the upper speaker much closer to my ears. It was also a great height to sit my amp on top, made it really easy to adjust settings on the fly without having to stoop (which was lucky because I was in a really confined space with little room to move, lol).

My regret was that I took a different bass with me to the one I gig with most often. I had a passive Lull P bass rather than an active Ritter J. This was purely because the dep drummer’s kit was gold sparkle which perfectly matched my Lull and I just couldn't resist!

I noticed a LOT more low end from the TKS than I'm used to but the P pickup is going to sound a but thumpier than the Ritter J configuration.

I adjusted the amp a fair bit as well. Cutting the amount of bass boost I usually need and adding some treble and presence (which I usually leave off completely).

I had the tweeter barely on to just add a bit of high end sizzle.

They looked great stacked vertically on stage too. I was a bit concerned they might look a bit over the top at a pub gig but they really didn't dominate things too much at all.

I would have liked to have spent more time with them in setting up Before the gig but overall I was very impressed. It would be really interesting to see how just a single cab works live. . .

mcnach,

I have a STL 900 and the 2126, the big brother to the 1126, as well as two H115's. Two 1126 cabs will NOT be percieved as "not as loud". They are more than enough powerful. Comparing the 1126 and H115, well, the 1126 has a more complex and full midrange, unbeatable for fretless bass. The H115 is more conventional and traditional sounding, but with a full and round low end. Definitely to order with a tweeter! I like them both.

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1416406385' post='2609853']
mcnach,

I have a STL 900 and the 2126, the big brother to the 1126, as well as two H115's. Two 1126 cabs will NOT be percieved as "not as loud". They are more than enough powerful. Comparing the 1126 and H115, well, the 1126 has a more complex and full midrange, unbeatable for fretless bass. The H115 is more conventional and traditional sounding, but with a full and round low end. Definitely to order with a tweeter! I like them both.
[/quote]

Thanks for making me want both now :lol:

How do you find the bottom end between the H115 (is that the newer smaller cabs or the older bigger ones?) and the 1126?
I don't want a cab that's all mids and not enough bottom and requires a lot of EQ to sound "balanced".

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1416464389' post='2610409']
Not 'weak' - after all, what would be the point of a bass cab with 'weak' lows?

Just very punchy, defined lows.
[/quote]

ok, call it "not as strong" as the others in the range ;)

don't shoot me, I'm just going by what's written in the description! :lol:

Anyway... I sense two 1126 coming soon...

Edited by mcnach

The 1126 is big enough and if you had anymore you'd swamp the good tone of the cab.
This is a common error by people who go for a LOT of bass... in that it gets in the way of what
you should want the bass to sound like. The 1126 will be more than enough for all bar Dub players, IMO.
and if you had two, ...well... wow. But you also have a very nice 6" to give it nice definition, coulour and seperation.

I ruled the 1126 out only because I have that covered, IMO. The S112 will go low but its real quality is the
mid range which speaks so well. I can't recall hearing another cab that does it quite like that....and I really liked
it and thought it would do really well in a band context. It is very clean, the way I ran it, but also, Martin Policesquad
got the cabs to really bite and snarl. This is its strong feature but in no way is it bass light. It is just less bassier
than the 1126, IMO. I put +15bd into them ( 2xS112's ) and it almost brought the ceiling down or rattled the plaster and dust
off them..and the other cabs ( 1126, CN112, SL112 ) didn't do that. I didn't put +15bd into them tho... but the point being the
S112's could handle it if you wanted to. It wouldn't be how I would pay them though..at all.

The S112 is a very toneful cab, IMO and you'd not want to buy them and obliterate that with too much bass but they can get
full and remain punchy and true.
I had the TH500 on 12 on all dials and I wouldn't be too far off gigging it with the S112's like that.

I guess it depends on our defintion of filling the room.... these will fill the room and underpin the band, I am certain...
but they aren't as low endey at say, the GS112's x 2..( what is ? ) but then the GS112 doesn't have anything like the character
of the S112's...or even the DB112, CN112 or SL112, come to that. All IMO, of course.

I collected my 1156 from Bass Gear today and gigged it tonight. I have to say, I am amazed at how good it sounds.

The 6" driver is a real secret weapon, as it just seems to sit on top of the 15s tone and give loads of clarity without any nasty tweeter sizzle. The 15" driver sounds huge, but in a controlled way. The cab's light too.

And it's loud. I can't believe I'd ever need another cab, giving me a 4 ohm load, but a 1126 for smaller gigs is very tempting.

Amazing...

Edited by walbassist