Why become a member? ×

Making your own cab covers

bonzodog

Not sure if I'm getting tighter as I get older, but I do find cab covers rather expensive for what they are so was thinking of making my own.
I've have recently bought a TC BC212 brand new and inside the cardboard box were very robust cardboard v shaped edges down the 4 sides of the cab. My plan is, using these as an internal frame to then attach thick fabric round them to make a sleeve.

I know with high end gear the price of a cab cover is minimal when it protects your investment but just wondered if anyone else has tried anything similar to avoid paying a lot for cab covers?

I've got fairly awful homemade covers consisting of Post Office sacks cut to shape with gaffa tape seams. These have the advantage of making my gear look grotty enough that no-one will wander off with it in the less salubrious venues.
I've been plotting to make some better ones out of leatherette vinyl with yoga-mat type thin foam glued to the insides, but this is on hold until I can persuade my wife to show me how to use her sewing machine!

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='dougieb' timestamp='1412091312' post='2565566']
I used old pieces or carpet and cable tied them together, not pretty but does the job. Carpet pile to the inside!
[/quote]

Sounds like a good idea; plenty of shops have carpet oddments they'll flog for a few quid and you could use that super strong carpet tape to join the sides together.

Plewnty of firms selling Rexine. Marstons in Brum, or Woolies oop nrth for example. its cheap enough if you buy ends of roll or colours nobody wants. Faux leather if your feeling posh, about £4 square [s]yard[/s]. metre.

1/2 hour with the missus sewing machine and Bobs yer auntie. Or just finda local upholsterer, theyre usually self employed dudes who will run one up for a tenner plus whatever off cuts they have lying about. Cost me a fiver for a cover for a 4X10 cab last year. Might cost a bit more if you want it padded though.

[quote name='NoRhino' timestamp='1412372512' post='2568443']
Everyone likes to show off their shiny bass but I think we need to see some of the home made covers to provide inspiration.

Pix please...
[size=4][/quote][/size][quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1412282990' post='2567568']
Plewnty of firms selling Rexine. Marstons in Brum, or Woolies oop nrth for example. its cheap enough if you buy ends of roll or colours nobody wants. Faux leather if your feeling posh, about £4 square [s]yard[/s]. metre.

1/2 hour with the missus sewing machine and Bobs yer auntie. Or just finda local upholsterer, theyre usually self employed dudes who will run one up for a tenner plus whatever off cuts they have lying about. Cost me a fiver for a cover for a 4X10 cab last year. Might cost a bit more if you want it padded though.
[/quote]

Here you go...

[attachment=173037:Image007.jpg]

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1412098016' post='2565642']
I've got fairly awful homemade covers consisting of Post Office sacks cut to shape with gaffa tape seams. These have the advantage of making my gear look grotty enough that no-one will wander off with it in the less salubrious venues.
I've been plotting to make some better ones out of leatherette vinyl with yoga-mat type thin foam glued to the insides, but this is on hold until I can persuade my wife to show me how to use her sewing machine!
[/quote]

I made a cover for my old Hartke combo from post sacks and gaffer tape!

The padded leatherette is available cheap on eBay if you know someone handy with a sowing machine.

Makes you think how much some companies charge for covers... The covers for our JBL subs (which luckily came with them) were £140 for the pair!

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1412380263' post='2568536']...
...if you know someone handy with a sowing machine...
[/quote]

... either an old one ... [attachment=173042:Sowi_Mach_1.gif] ... or a newer one ... [attachment=173043:Sowi_Mach_2.jpg]

Mrs Ez is a bit of a dab hand with the sewing machine and has made a couple of covers for me, we just bought some vinyl from a haberdashery shop, et voilà. However, I did once make my own - I took a very heavy duty rubbish bag, cut it to size and then, with it on the amp head, covered the bag in black duct tape. It became a perfect fit and very robust, I even photocopied the manufacturers logo and stuck it on the front; it looked great.