Why become a member? ×

Bass synths

thisnameistaken

I've been looking at analogue synths. I like the idea of a proper analogue synth, but I also like the idea of patch memory, so obviously I really like the idea of the Bass Station II, but I don't like the idea of a 2-octave keyboard, and I don't like the idea of having to carry a second keyboard just to add more range.

What else should I look at?

I looked at the Gaia, but the romantic in me wants an analogue synth.

As for modules: The reason I'm looking at buying a synth is because I like tweaking controls. Otherwise I'd probably just stick with software (mostly MASSIVE) and a controller keyboard which is what I'm doing at home.

I didn't know there was a 37-key Sub Phatty. That's very cool, but a bit pricey. I'm not sure I can justify it, even if it is a Moog. I would also like something a bit more portable. Yeah I know, portable, more keys, conflicting priorities etc. What I really want is a Bass Station II with more keys and I'm waiting for one of you to make me one.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1411770958' post='2562778']
Now you made me watch a Sub 37 demo. YOU'RE A BAD PERSON!
[/quote]
I watched some moog voyager XL demos. Trying my best to justify spending £5k on a synth to the Mrs, but I don't think its gonna work.
I'm going down the synth route, but just for home use, so I'm considering a Roland FA08 (that's got a bit more than 37 keys too :P ).

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1411851784' post='2563369']Just curious, but why more than 2 octaves for a bass synth? I use a Basstation rack with a midi keyboard, if that's any help.[/quote]

I just think while a 2 octave keyboard is probably OK if everything is in C I'm worried it will start to feel a bit tight in keys a fourth or fifth away. I'd rather have three, or even two and a half.

Yeah a module and controller would be one way around it but I like having all the controls to tweak, and less gear to carry (there's potentially double bass in the mix in one band too).

Edited by thisnameistaken

It also might be worth having a look at the Arturia Keylab 32 or 49. It's a VST & hardware system, so you'll need to take a laptop, but it has plenty of assignable knobs & sliders & has some excellent VSTs of analogue synths.

Another good synth that I nearly forgot about is the MicroKorg. Singer in a previous band had one of these & they have some excellent sounds.

There's also the DSI MoPho. That should fit your bill.
2 1/2 octaves, fully analogue, programmable & loads of knobs. It's made by the chap who started Sequential Circuits.

Edited by xgsjx

What?
WHAT?
W H A T ? ?

You don't even recognise fellow bass player Malcolm Cecil? :o

Me neither. :)
Or rather, I did recognise Malcolm Cecil, but had no idea he's a bass player.

The monster behind him, btw, is TONTO - reportedly the largest modular synth ever. IMS it consisted of modules and keyboards from a range of brands, necessitating they built all kinds of circuitry to "translate" the control signals between systems.

Any self respecting bass player in need of some bass synth sounds should get one or two of these.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1411976006' post='2564367']
The monster behind him, btw, is TONTO - reportedly the largest modular synth ever. IMS it consisted of modules and keyboards from a range of brands, necessitating they built all kinds of circuitry to "translate" the control signals between systems.
[/quote]

TONTO is featured in the best-worst film I've ever seen, Phantom of the Paradise.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n5qVJEg3qA"]http://www.youtube....h?v=2n5qVJEg3qA[/url]

Edited by chaypup

Ok so today I went out to Gear4Music and tried some synths. The Arturia Minibrute sounded great but without patch memory wouldn't be useful enough live and I want a synth that will be tweakable and also easy to use live.

So I came home with a Bass Station 2. And it's better than I thought it was. What a great little instrument. :-)

If it's anything like my [url="http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr02/articles/novationkstation.asp"]Novation K-Station[/url] (and it may not be!), you'll need a line-level signal to get much use out of the audio input, so you may have to go via a pre-amp first.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1411977404' post='2564389']
TONTO is featured in the best-worst film I've ever seen, Phantom of the Paradise.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n5qVJEg3qA"]http://www.youtube....h?v=2n5qVJEg3qA[/url]
[/quote]

...and on Stevie Wonder's early-70s albums <3