Why become a member? ×

NBD. Alpine white Epiphone Thunderbird pro classic IV

police squad

I've always wanted a Thunderbird bass. Finally Epiphone have made one much more akin to its Gibson sibling. I found this one on ebay for BIN of £300 including genuine Epi hard case. I also have an Epi Jack Casady bass which is also excellent quality so I thought I'd have to check this Tbird out.
It is immaculate and plays really well. Not sure when I'll get to gig it as it's not really a 'Police' bass.
Comes with Gibson USA pickups and according to the web, 7 ply walnut/maple thru neck with mahogany wings. Although I've seen a review of a sunburst one, online, and it was 9 ply.

Did a deal for £270 inc case. I'm happy with that.

Anyone else got one of these?

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1411489629' post='2559997']
Just a quick update. This has perfect balance. People say Tbirds have terrible neck dive but not on this.

Any more love out there
[/quote]
The neck may be 9 ply? - some of the plys are very thin. Moving the strap button seems to have fixed neck dive. White is a cool colour for any instrument, but I wonder why Gibson/Epiphone put paint on Mahogany? Maybe they don't want to reduce the weight by using a lighter wood (quality seen to be lower, neck dive comes back). Most definitely a Marmite bass. Wish my arms were a bit longer as it sounds great. You got yourself a bargain - enjoy it!

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1411540501' post='2560402']
Where did the strap button used to be then?
[/quote]

I think where the upper horn should be, which Leo put there for a reason :)
I take it yours is back of the neck/heel?

mahogany bodies would look even better without a pickguard - how do I hide those screw holes.
But I do like it, even if the lower frets are hard to reach.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1411630771' post='2561251']
I think those white ones look magnificent !

Unfortunately, I think I'm just starting to get too old to pull off he look on stage with a thunderbird myself.
[/quote]

no you're not. Doesn't matter how old you are. If you could pull it off when you were 25 you can do it at 60. It's a state of mind.
Go for it!!!

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1411636269' post='2561329']

no you're not. Doesn't matter how old you are. If you could pull it off when you were 25 you can do it at 60. It's a state of mind.
Go for it!!!
[/quote]

Hmmmm. Looks like I'm going to need to wriggle a little bit more to get out of this ....... well, OK, I don't wear my bass low enough for a thunderbird ! There you go, can't beat that. Thunderbirds HAVE to be slung low.

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1411489629' post='2559997']
Just a quick update. This has perfect balance. People say Tbirds have terrible neck dive but not on this.

Any more love out there
[/quote]

I had one and sold it becuase of the neck dive.

I was so disapointed because I think the white one is the coolest looking bass ever but it was just impossible to play.

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1411726700' post='2562276']
I had one and sold it becuase of the neck dive.

I was so disapointed because I think the white one is the coolest looking bass ever but it was just impossible to play.
[/quote]

Have you tried the latest version. The Pro IV classic. I've heard that they do balance properly, mine does