Why become a member? ×

Copying your CDs for personal use

Roland Rock

I think if you paid for it in the first instance, then another copy/copies for your own use is fair game
even though that might have been technically illegal.
The grey area is when it gets into someone elses hands and potentially stops a sale...
Well, not so grey, in fact.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1411325877' post='2558473']
I think if you paid for it in the first instance, then another copy/copies for your own use is fair game
even though that might have been technically illegal.
The grey area is when it gets into someone elses hands and potentially stops a sale...
Well, not so grey, in fact.
[/quote]

Agreed - it's a technicality being fixed. 'Natural justice' implies that you buy the right to listen to a piece of music. The physical form might be vinyl, tape, CD or bits (er, ok, that's not physical, but you get my drift) but it's really the right to listen to the music that you really want.

However, I wonder what the new law says about buying a CD, ripping it to a PC and then selling the CD? That's clearly not right, unless you delete the ripped copy at the same time.

I copy a lot of CDs fron iTunes. I've bought the original, but I don't like taking the original out in the car, so I just rip them - and if they get nicked or trashed (ably assisted by Mrs A not putting them back in the wallets), it doesn't matter.

The original, complete with nice booklet, gets stored safely.

Edited by The Admiral

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1411381738' post='2558866']
i think making personal copy has always been legal; i think its distribution, publication, public performance etc thats always been the issue.
[/quote]

Previously, ANY copying of copyright content, even for personal use, without the permission of the rights holders was illegal. The law is being brought up to date (following the publication of the government's 2012 'Modernising Copyright' document) to reflect new technology use.

There are a few grumbles about this private copying exception, because, like JTUK says, it is not crystal clear what can and can't be done with the copies, and the copyright bods want to enure that they/the rights holders will not lose out.

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/hargreaves-copyright-techreview
http://www.ipo.gov.uk/ia-exception-privatecopy.pdf

Pedant Edit: document describes it as unlawful, rather than illegal - not sure what the difference is, if any?

Edited by Roland Rock

[b]Illegal[/b][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4] and [/size][/font][/color][b]unlawful[/b][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4] have slightly different meanings, although they are often used interchangeably. Something that is [/size][/font][/color][b]illegal[/b][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4] is against the law, whereas an [/size][/font][/color][b]unlawful[/b][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4] act merely contravenes the rules that apply in a particular context. Thus handball in soccer is [/size][/font][/color][b]unlawful[/b][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4], but it is not [/size][/font][/color][b]illegal[/b][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]. A third word with a similar meaning is [/size][/font][/color][b]illicit[/b][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]: this tends to encompass things that are forbidden or disapproved of by custom or society, as in [/size][/font][/color][i]an illicit love affair[/i][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4].[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4](Lifted from Oxford Dictionaries, Google search......)[/size][/font][/color]