Why become a member? ×

ELO bassist.

paulbass

Hi all, recently i watched ELO with Jeff Lynne at Hyde Park on BBCiplayer and noticed the bassist played left handed with the strings upsidedown.....how strange did that look! He did a top job and didnt play a bum note all night.
It did make me think how difficult it must be to learn playing a bass like that,everything would be completely different. Fair play to him he did a fantastic job! I've never seen that before thought i'd just share :)

[quote name='paulbass' timestamp='1411063656' post='2556161']
It did make me think how difficult it must be to learn playing a bass like that,everything would be completely different.
[/quote]
Hahaha...You are absolutely right my friend.
Imagine me driving in London where all others are driving on the wrong side... Lol
ELO is a great band, Eldorado great album.
Best

Edited by TheSiberian

don't think it would be that difficult if you learnt like that, it's not like you're playing chords, once saw a Rolling Stones covers band and both guitarist were playing left handed with right handed guitars and they hadn't changed the strings round, they said they'd learnt like that and some chords were easier

yes it was Lee. He sold my brother a pink Jackson, when he worked in Rockbottom in Croydon in the early 90s. I'd just bought a USA reissue 62 P bass from soho and then we went to rockbottom and he asked for a go on my new bass. It was amazing to watch him slap. He just flipped it over and bang. Great player and a really nice guy

This section from the interview should be posted whenever anyone asks "should I quit my pub band due to it being full of nobs"

PM: It was never an issue that you don't read music?
LP: "Not at all. We had six weeks of rehearsal before the first gig, so it was not a problem. Mike Stevens is basically looking for people who can play and are into what they're doing, but are also easy to get on with. That's the key when you're touring; just be a nice chap and have a good vibe about you. That's the way to get work. If you're a superb player, but a pain in the arse, you'll never get asked. The world is full of phenomenal musicians who are so up themselves that they are really difficult to be around. Being on the road with difficult people is really draining.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1411083169' post='2556415']

I had a good old chat with him in the gents' at the last LBGS. Top chap, although he was a bit sad at having to miss the Roger Glover masterclass!
[/quote] He must have been a top chap if he was willing to miss Roger Glover`s masterclass, to have that long a chat in the gents with you :)