Why become a member? ×

Going back to Markbass after GK ( choice of two heads )

flippyfloop

The reason for me buying the Markbass LMK when it came out was two channels so I could switch between two different sounds and have my VLE set different on each. one for finger style 60's motown, general pop and the other channel for funkier numbers with the VLE at 1 0clock.
But they stopped making them :( idiots

[quote name='flippyfloop' timestamp='1411230685' post='2557754']
Buy some new cabs :lol:
[/quote]

:lol:
Give over I've only had these 5 days. Just got them from Barrie's gaff.
Two gigs in two nights and loving them
Stupidly on Fri night I mentioned the slight overhang and the other three have ripped the piss at every opportunity, HOWEVER they love the punch these cabs have.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1411223805' post='2557669']

I am going to be putting my Carvin up for sale, as it overhangs the 2 Markbass cabs (thanks again Barrie :D ), by an inch either side :blush: .
Sad, yes, but I can see that overhang even looking into the eyes of the beauty in the audience :lol:
[/quote]

I'm right with you on that Karl - I can't abide a head overhanging on a cab. I can't rack my amps because it'll make them too wide - I'd rather put up with the extra haulage and connection effort :-D

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1411223805' post='2557669']
This is what confuses me with the Big Bang.
1. Are the VLE/VPF on all the time and only switched OFF by the footswitch, or,
2. Do you need the footswitch to put them on or off?

I tried a Little Rocker on Thursday and the VLE/VPF could be dialled up, or down to zero without a footswitch.
I really liked the sound with the VLE at about 9 0'clock, that really helped the amp, for me.
What I really didn't like with the Little Rocker was that the volume was really very disappointing until you put the valvey gain thingy on.

I am going to be putting my Carvin up for sale, as it overhangs the 2 Markbass cabs (thanks again Barrie :D ), by an inch either side :blush: .
Sad, yes, but I can see that overhang even looking into the eyes of the beauty in the audience :lol:
[/quote]

If you dial them all the way anti-clockwise (off) then it's the same as using a FS to turn them off. With a switch you can have them set to switch in and out - maybe use the VLE to get a softer sound on some songs, VPF to scoop the mids for an aggresive sound on another... mix and match as it were. Not the same as having a big peddle board/rack fx but certainly helpful.

I tend to use them to 'tune' the rig to the room (or my mood).

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1411329218' post='2558511']
So I'm not the only borderline OCD regarding rig asthetics :D
[/quote]

I have a Berg HD112 and a HD210.
I run them with a SWR MM Pre in a Gator rack case, and it kills me that the rack case doesnt fit on top neatly.
Theres a overhang on all four sides. I really dont want to swap any of them, but it drives me insane.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1411394215' post='2559043']
I have a Berg HD112 and a HD210.
I run them with a SWR MM Pre in a Gator rack case, and it kills me that the rack case doesnt fit on top neatly.
Theres a overhang on all four sides. I really dont want to swap any of them, but it drives me insane.
[/quote]

That's me!

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1411394720' post='2559054']
I think you mean CDO..?
[/quote]

Do I ? :blink:

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1411416026' post='2559384']
Do I ? :blink:
[/quote]

CDO - like OCD but in the correct order.

on that topic...

I was pretty relieved to find the Gator 6U case that arrived today is the same footprint as the top of my Traveller cabs - no overhang!

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1411503266' post='2560232']
CDO - like OCD but in the correct order.

on that topic...

I was pretty relieved to find the Gator 6U case that arrived today is the same footprint as the top of my Traveller cabs - no overhang!
[/quote]

Aha, gotcha now :blush: . I'm old and originally from Darlington, I demand allowances :lol:

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1411556102' post='2560571']
Karl, ha ha yep, it was annoying me too for my brief (cameo?) appearance on Friday....
[/quote]

Bloody Hell Martyn, must have been brief, I didn't see you :blush:

Good job really as it was a bit of a disaster one way or another :lol:
Thankfully Saturday wasn't, but some precocious girlies made me rather nervous. Mind, it was Walkden :lol:

Karl, yep was pretty quiet. I stopped for a quick Hobgoblin - walked in just as you started up. (Great version of Wanted: Dead or Alive by the way - one of my favourite songs as a budding teenage rocker - I love songs that develop and 'go somewhere')
Good sound and a good mix at a good (non deafening volume)
I was behind the pillar as I prefer to hear bass players than see them. Nothing personal to you of course!
I realise this is going to make me sound like a loon but............ I don't like my eyes to influence what I'm hearing.
Drives my wife mad, when we go to a big gig and she says I thought you wanted to see xxx .. but you always look at the rest of the band.

Hmm, points.
You are a loon :lol:
If you like build up songs you'd have loved Foo Fighters But Honestly.
Wish I could hide behind a pillar :lol:
We kinda leaned the keep the volume sane (especially 1st set) quite a while back. Needless to say there are some who scream to turn it up, but the majority who talk to us like the fact their ears aren't bleeding.
See you soon and many thanks for coming.

[quote name='flippyfloop' timestamp='1410985001' post='2555384']
Didn't like the Fusion as well.
Great amps but not for me.

I like the neutral or 'bland' voicing that you get with MB heads. I'd rather have a clean slate that I can add too than a coloration I'm trying to remove. Although MB heads do sound different from each other. LM does not sound like the F1 / F500 heads.
[/quote]

I must admit i was in the same boat a few years ago. After using a SA450 and LMII for a long time i wanted something different. I went for a GK1001RB-II and didn't really get on with it.

a few years later i brought a Streamliner 600 as i was still finding MB a bit bland. Again, i got rid of it and ended up with a MB F1. Ive been using it ever since but still feel i can do a bit better tone wise. I almost got another GK head a few months ago (in fact i did, but sent it back without even plugging it in).
For the past few years ive always used a BDDI in front of the F1, just to liven things up a bit, but still i wasn't 100% happy.

Im now using a Darkglass VMT in front of the head and things have got a lot better. More character and warmth being to two main additions.

Im not slagging MB off (ive been using them for almost 10 years), but i do find them boring and a bit lifeless without a bit of help.

I'd love a F500 but yes, these have been discontinued as well as most of the old "classic" line up.